Kaco Master With 14K Gold Nib - Hidden Gem

TheVintagelife

I took the plunge and ordered a black Kaco Master with the standard Kaco nib. The pen arrived broken at the section threads, so the seller (via AliExpress) gave me a complete refund rather than send a new pen. A bit of superglue and the pen writes beautifully. The nib is smooth out of the box and the overall size/heft of the pen is very pleasant. However, there is a quality control issue: the cap does not screw on to the body very easily... it has to be forced into the cap to engage the threads and then tightened. This works sometimes, but most times the cap still falls off. It is definitely a nice pen, but it seems there may be a bit of QC problem. I don't see any other users reporting QC issues so it seems that I may have just received a lemon.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TheVintagelife

• donnweinberg

• Honeybadgers

• Paul-in-SF

Some of the newer Parker Sonnet nibs are the same way. I've been told it is to stiffen the nib a bit. I have no issue with that. Both my Sonnets and my Master are lovely writers.

I thought that the slit and the breather hole in the nibs had to do with the capillary movement of the ink.There are some nibs with only the slit and no breather hole, but never new of nibs that are as in the case of the Kaco and the Sonnet pens.

I took the plunge and ordered a black Kaco Master with the standard Kaco nib. The pen arrived broken at the section threads, so the seller (via AliExpress) gave me a complete refund rather than send a new pen. A bit of superglue and the pen writes beautifully. The nib is smooth out of the box and the overall size/heft of the pen is very pleasant. However, there is a quality control issue: the cap does not screw on to the body very easily... it has to be forced into the cap to engage the threads and then tightened. This works sometimes, but most times the cap still falls off. It is definitely a nice pen, but it seems there may be a bit of QC problem. I don't see any other users reporting QC issues so it seems that I may have just received a lemon.

I think I reported earlier in the thread the issue about the need to push the cap (in my case only a little) to engage the barrel threads, but my cap does not fall off. More serious in my case is that the nib was not properly seated when I received the pen and with my best efforts I can't get it to stay solidly in place (I can write with it, but it is too easy to move the nib). I deduced this was due to poor quality control and the inner diameter of the section being slightly too large.

I got mine with the 14k nib and the nib is a real treat. Mine is weirdly not a fine, more like a fine/medium stub, but it's tuned perfectly, a bit bouncy, and very smooth.

The rest of the pen I'm pretty tepid on. The size and balance is great, plastic feels thick but somehow also cheap. It posts deeply and securely, but not snug around the sides so it can wobble a bit, making the sensation less than great.

The clip sucks out loud. that "lip" before the clip starts on a step down means that you pretty much cannot slide it into any clothing.

And the cap threads aren't very smooth, though I'm guessing it's just the very small injection molding line and that it will smooth out with a little time and use, but there's no positive STOP point on the threads so it just kinda tightens down until it feels like it's cross threading. And the engagement points for the cap kinda suck.

Overall, I'm not disappointed since I basically got a very nice 14k #6 fine stub for about $80 that I can move into another pen if I decide I do truly hate the body of the master.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

• 6 months later...

Interesting thread on this beautiful fountain pen, but it is necessary to point out that some of you are receiving false or deceiving merchandise (or this is another version of an unreliable globalized market that Kaco is unable to control or is exploiting in a shameful way). The review that Waski Squirrel kindly shared with us last September shows that both versions of the pen that he (as well as asincrono, I would say) received are the same length. Look at this frame I took from his video.

1146749153_ScreenShot2021-04-21at20_28_26.thumb.png.435544464c376c89507c20e38144c4fb.png

Same size, no doubt! Different nibs, no doubt! However, if we compare this image to the images in the review that TheVintagelife so kindly shared with us and that started this thread of comments, you all will notice that there are definitely a change of size between the 14K pens some of you receive and those that are original and that measure aproximately 154 mm long. I've analyzed the TheVintagelife's images and it is true that, in comparison to the Montegrappa Fortuna, Kaco Master 14K dwarfs it by at least 17 mm.

92469503_KacoMaster14K.thumb.jpg.e7a550d27f0ff1c3954589b46fb161d4.jpg

Something is out of wack!!! I hoped this would help clear some doubts, but now I feel that I probably made things worst. :(((

• 2 years later...

I recently acquired the black 14K model of this pen.  I like it.  I also experience slight difficulty screwing the cap back on, as described by others, but am not overly concerned.  I can confirm that on the nib, the slit also does not go all the way to the breather hole and that the pen writes smoothly nonetheless.  My nib and feed arrived firmly in the section, and there is no wobble or displacement after writing for awhile with the pen.

I would really like to have this model in red and white with the 14K nib, but I'm aware that only the steel nib is provided with those colors.  I also would really like this pen with medium nib and broad nib options.  I also agree with many that for the price (I paid $117 to a China-based Ebay seller), the pen is a good value.

I have this pen in both the black with gold nib and red with the steel nib and both are fantastic!  These are large pens and really beautiful.  The red pen is quite striking, the clip is great and it does not dry out. Although only available in a fine nib, it writes, uncharastically for a Chinese pen, closer to a Western medium.  I paid about $30 shipped for the red one and I think it is great value for the money.  I paid about the same for my black one with a gold nib as Donnweingerg did, and I bought it through an Ali Express seller located in China.  I fully agree that both are hidden gems!

• 3 weeks later...

The more I write with my Kaco Master with fine 14k nib, the more I like it.  It writes immediately each time and is a smooth writer.  I was inspired to purchase the red and white Masters with the stainless steel EF nib, but I haven't written with them yet.  

Does anyone know whether the nib and feed screw out (Pelican style) or are friction fit instead (pull out)?