The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Raleigh Pen Show 2020 - Canceled - Tentative New Dates

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Ashram

Ashram

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 April 2020 - 01:39

I just spoke with Terry Mawhorter and he asked me to announce that due to COVID-19, the 2020 Raleigh Pen Show has been canceled.  He is looking at possibly holding the show on August 13-16.  Those dates are still tentative for now.  He asks that you check the show website for updates.  I'll also post when I hear more.

Bftqofd.png

Sponsored Content

#2 Parker51

Parker51

Old dog

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,660 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 April 2020 - 01:48

I am both sorry and glad to hear this. Sorry, because I had hope to go, but given how things are, glad it has tentatively been rescheduled. I earnestly hope things will have progressed enough that it will be safe to attend in August.

#3 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,246 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 April 2020 - 02:03

Thanks for the heads up.

The Triangle Show is a bit of a hike for me from Pittsburgh, but the two years I went I had a good time and got good stuff (Terry runs good shows -- he also does the Ohio Pen Show, which is the closest thing I have to a "local show").

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#4 Parker51

Parker51

Old dog

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,660 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 April 2020 - 02:21

Please consider attending, if things go well in general by then. North Carolina in the mountains are pleasant that time of the year. If things are going well then I hope my wife and I can include it as a part of a nice vacation. Driving down from Pittsburg should also be a pleasant drive at that time of year as well.

#5 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,246 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 April 2020 - 03:06

The problem for me is that it's about a 7 hour drive to the Raleigh area.  I've done that show twice: the first time I stopped at a bunch of antiques stores down through West Virginia.  The second time, when I dragged my husband along, we hit bad traffic (don't remember now if it was construction or an accident) and had trouble then trying to find a place to get dinner.  He sort of tolerated Friday; Saturday he stayed in the hotel (we were at a place a few miles down the road) and then I went back and got him and we had dinner at a place in the shopping plaza near the site hotel, then went to the dessert party and the auction (where he tolerated me bidding on a Navy Gray 51 Aerometric with an OB nib).  But it was still a long drive each way.  

I have back problems so I have to take breaks about every hour and a half of so, at least just to walk around for a few minutes, or I'm completely crippled.  So OPS is easily doable (the first year I had something going on so I just day tripped Friday, but was then stumbling into the house at 12:30 AM).  DCSS (at least at the old site, and before the date change) was doable with someone in the car with me.  Baltimore-Washington is doable (again, I made an all-day trip of it and hit a bunch of antiques stores on the way down, and a couple on the way back), but the timing hasn't always worked out.  But Raleigh?  That's a hike.  Chicago would be an even bigger hike (I went to something in downtown Chicago years ago with a friend of mine, and we hit horrible traffic and construction zones on the Indiana Toll Road, and I remember it being like a 12 hour trip each way (and I didn't have to stop and walk around as often back then).  Yes, I could fly (maybe, if I could afford it) or take the train (also expensive, plus I've pretty much NEVER had a good experience on Amtrak). So my only real option is driving.  And not sure I will be able to find someone that can take the time to drive out there and back.  Whereas, if I do the Commonwealth Show, I can go up to MA with my husband, he can spend the day with his mom while I drive up to Somerville (the advantage of a small, one day show) and back, and then we get on the road when I get back to his mom's and we go as far as we can Sunday night.  We can often stay with his sister or oldest brother to break the trip up.

The Chicago Show is on the bucket list -- just not this year, probably.  :(  Who knows, though -- my normal vacation plans just fell through a couple of weeks ago (event cancelled -- and that was the scheduling conflict with DCSS....

Hey, they just announced a couple of days ago that Anthracon (the Pittsburgh Furry Convention) is cancelled this year -- the downtown restaurateurs and barmen are likely going "As if we didn't have enough problems already!" (because the Furries spend a LOT of money when they're in town).  Of course they also show the Furry Parade on TV on the news every year (nothing like some guy dressed like a sports team mascot wearing a Star Trek uniform for when you need a "local color" story on a Saturday night) and I look at them going "They're all gonna wind up with heatstroke!  It's the freaking 4th of July weekend!  In PITTSBURGH...."  :huh: 

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Sponsored Content

|