The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Better Ways To Write Checks

ckeck writing reverse nib fine

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 AAAndrew

AAAndrew

(Not so) Wee Timorous Beastie

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,003 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 May 2020 - 22:12

Also, might I recommend a Platinum desk pen with Platinum Carbon Ink. I write on boxes wrapped in brown paper with one and it has no trouble. It's also a pretty "secure" ink. They're inexpensive and they stay wet quite well between uses. You can get one with just a cap, or you can get the desk holder as well. It's also extremely fine (for a fountain pen). 

I mostly write checks using dip pens and registrar's ink. I've not had trouble yet, but I use the bank's checks. You need good paper to hold up to dip pens. 

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

Sponsored Content

#22 Honeybadgers

Honeybadgers

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,649 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 May 2020 - 22:59

Also, might I recommend a Platinum desk pen with Platinum Carbon Ink. I write on boxes wrapped in brown paper with one and it has no trouble. It's also a pretty "secure" ink. They're inexpensive and they stay wet quite well between uses. You can get one with just a cap, or you can get the desk holder as well. It's also extremely fine (for a fountain pen). 

I mostly write checks using dip pens and registrar's ink. I've not had trouble yet, but I use the bank's checks. You need good paper to hold up to dip pens. 

I tried this and my EF carbon desk/carbon ink setup feathered like hell on checks and envelopes. I have been kinda unimpressed with platinum carbon ink. Pelikan 4001 seems to be much, much less feather-ey.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

#23 sandy101

sandy101

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,070 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 May 2020 - 19:01

The best way to write cheques is not to sign them. 

#24 corgicoupe

corgicoupe

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,820 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 May 2020 - 23:27

Twenty five years ago my wife wrote a rent check for her student apartment and did not sign it in an attempt to get the landlord's attention about work needed to be done.  The bank deposited it to his account anyway :yikes:

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

#25 Braxfield

Braxfield

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 18 May 2020 - 00:09

In the US at least, I believe the bank has every right to accept for deposit an unsigned cheque, although is under no obligation to do so.  The payee probably guaranteed the amount. 

Edited by Braxfield, 18 May 2020 - 00:29.

"They come as a boon and a blessing to men, 
the Pickwick, the Owl and the Waverley Pen."

#26 Mech-for-i

Mech-for-i

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,261 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 May 2020 - 07:09

1:1 mix old fashion iron gall blue black + old fashiin carbon .. always work for me

#27 Mech-for-i

Mech-for-i

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,261 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 May 2020 - 07:13

I tried this and my EF carbon desk/carbon ink setup feathered like hell on checks and envelopes. I have been kinda unimpressed with platinum carbon ink. Pelikan 4001 seems to be much, much less feather-ey.

Platinum Carbon is kind of well too modern ; wet the ink is and just not quite old style Carbin ink which tend to be thick and thus high maintainence due to its nature.Platinum try and success in making the ink user friendly but also lose out on the dry and suite all flow

#28 Orval

Orval

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 May 2020 - 11:45

Checks...? sweet memories of ancient times. I ignored that they are still used in some parts of the world. I think I signed my last check more than 30 years ago.

Orval

#29 Honeybadgers

Honeybadgers

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• 5,649 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 May 2020 - 20:00

Platinum Carbon is kind of well too modern ; wet the ink is and just not quite old style Carbin ink which tend to be thick and thus high maintainence due to its nature.Platinum try and success in making the ink user friendly but also lose out on the dry and suite all flow

I am curious if sailor carbon ink is better, but it really doesn't strike me as something I want to spend like $25 on right now. I like noodlers X feather and diamine registrars on checks just fine, so it'll just be a curiosity for a while.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

#30 sansenri

sansenri

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,126 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 May 2020 - 20:09

Checks...? sweet memories of ancient times. I ignored that they are still used in some parts of the world. I think I signed my last check more than 30 years ago.

I was wondering whether I was the only one who ended his checkbook long ago and can't even remember where to look for it, in case...

One other thing, print your own checks?... really? we can't do this here...

#31 corgicoupe

corgicoupe

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,820 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 May 2020 - 02:18

In the US at least, I believe the bank has every right to accept for deposit an unsigned cheque, although is under no obligation to do so.  The payee probably guaranteed the amount. 

Interesting. I did not know that.

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

#32 Mech-for-i

Mech-for-i

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,261 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 May 2020 - 14:13

I am curious if sailor carbon ink is better, but it really doesn't strike me as something I want to spend like $25 on right now. I like noodlers X feather and diamine registrars on checks just fine, so it'll just be a curiosity for a while.

Both Japanese Mfr claim nano sized particle , and I think Sailor stipulate that theirs are pigment , not carbon ( but I might be wrong ) , for my writing I prefer old fashion Iron Gall and old fashion Carbon ink ( with its resin or gum content ) , always found them long term much more resistant / immune to elements than all the modern pigment or voodoo formula

#33 bogiesan

bogiesan

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 May 2020 - 16:52

You can find these Older check machines at thrift stores and used office supply stores, amazon, or eBay. This is the ultimate check-writing experience. I have had two ancient machines from PayMaster with big, beautifully machined cranks, and deep embossing capabilities. There are are more modern electronic check printing thingies, too. Very fun and cool but nothing like the mechanical ker-CHUNK of the older machines. 

https://www.amazon.c...r/dp/B001BDFQPE

I ride a recumbent, I play go, I use Macintosh so of course I use a fountain pen.

#34 Ink Stained Wretch

Ink Stained Wretch

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,357 posts

Posted 04 July 2020 - 08:27

I signed my most recent check three days ago. I signed it, and filled out the rest of the information on it, with Noodler's Black ink. Thinking about it, I've been using Noodler's Black for checks for 16 years now. We also mail the envelope with the check in it at the Post Office itself, to avoid the checks being simply stolen from outdoor mailboxes.

If thieves trying to wash checks and rip off the check signers find that they can't work their nefarious ways on a check I don't think they put the check back in the envelope and put it back in the outdoor mailbox they've knocked off :) . The most secure ink in the world won't get my bills paid if the check has been trashed by the thieves.

You can find these Older check machines at thrift stores and used office supply stores, amazon, or eBay. This is the ultimate check-writing experience. I have had two ancient machines from PayMaster with big, beautifully machined cranks, and deep embossing capabilities. There are are more modern electronic check printing thingies, too. Very fun and cool but nothing like the mechanical ker-CHUNK of the older machines. 

https://www.amazon.c...r/dp/B001BDFQPE

That is one expensive little device, for its purpose. It's for companies putting out quite a few checks, of course. That price makes any of the permanent inks used on checks seem really inexpensive. And you can't have fun writing in a journal or anything like that with the PayMaster machine, either :lticaptd:!

On a sacred quest for the perfect blue ink mixture!
ink stained wretch filling inkwell

#35 praxim

praxim

still on twig

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• 5,554 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 July 2020 - 08:38

As a matter of curiosity, where companies pay dividends or capital returns, do they send cheques (or even checks)?

Here, it is mostly not an option. If you can not nominate a bank account into which they can transfer the money, they will wait until you get one.

X

#36 BaronWulfraed

BaronWulfraed

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,885 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 July 2020 - 17:29

As a matter of curiosity, where companies pay dividends or capital returns, do they send cheques (or even checks)?

Here, it is mostly not an option. If you can not nominate a bank account into which they can transfer the money, they will wait until you get one.

I don't know of anyone who even owns stocks in their name...

Most are held in brokerage name and the brokerage keeps the distribution of which shares are yours. Dividends/returns go to the brokerage which distributes them proportional to the shares into the cash balance of your account.

#37 praxim

praxim

still on twig

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• 5,554 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 July 2020 - 23:00

Thanks. To explain, I haven't been near a (human) broker in over 20 years so everything is self-managed on line, whether that is in some entity name or personal, even where you empower someone to trade on your behalf (which I don't). It is pretty normal here. Perhaps this is another difference consistent with the original question of paying bills on line or on expensive* bits of paper?

* expensive: creation, handling, movement, loss or theft, security & fraud, transcription, storage, archival

Edited by praxim, 04 July 2020 - 23:01.

X

#38 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,022 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 July 2020 - 23:58

I just shrug at the poor quality paper of the brand of checks my bank offers and write away....  I do tend to use inks that are relatively permanent (at the moment it's Noodler's Heart of Darkness).  

Our current bank bought out our old bank, and 95% of the time I think they're better.  But the company they get the checks from has awful paper.  The old bank made a big fuss about how you had to only use blue or black ink, but never batted an eye over Noodler's Kung Te Cheng or Noodler's El Lawrence.  The current bank did frown a little when I was going to sign the line of credit re-finance paperwork last winter with purple ink (but I did have another pen with me just in case, inked up with something blue....

I also used Kung Te Cheng when we bought our most recent car, except for the finance paperwork which was a carbonless multi page form, and I wasn't sure the nib on the Konrad the ink was in would handle it (so I did have to use a BP for that part).  Next time, though, I'm gonna be ready and have something like a vintage Esterbrook kitted out with a manifold nib....  :rolleyes: 

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#39 Freddy

Freddy

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• 7,679 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 July 2020 - 02:38

Have been usin' checks issued from me bank and very flexible extra- fine or fine nibs with blue-black ink{s}....

Skrip..Pilot..Without any problemo...However never tried writin' on toilet paper as suggested above....But

did write a long letter on military issue toilet paper {multiple sheets 1-6 both sides {redacted} } usin'

a pencil....Worked like a charm.....

Op..perhaps start usin' better paper.........................Good luck.

Fred

Edited by Freddy, 05 July 2020 - 02:49.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ckeck writing, reverse, nib, fine

Sponsored Content

|