Better Ways To Write Checks

iram

Also, might I recommend a Platinum desk pen with Platinum Carbon Ink. I write on boxes wrapped in brown paper with one and it has no trouble. It's also a pretty "secure" ink. They're inexpensive and they stay wet quite well between uses. You can get one with just a cap, or you can get the desk holder as well. It's also extremely fine (for a fountain pen).

I mostly write checks using dip pens and registrar's ink. I've not had trouble yet, but I use the bank's checks. You need good paper to hold up to dip pens.

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• iram

• corgicoupe

• Mech-for-i

• Honeybadgers

Also, might I recommend a Platinum desk pen with Platinum Carbon Ink. I write on boxes wrapped in brown paper with one and it has no trouble. It's also a pretty "secure" ink. They're inexpensive and they stay wet quite well between uses. You can get one with just a cap, or you can get the desk holder as well. It's also extremely fine (for a fountain pen).

I mostly write checks using dip pens and registrar's ink. I've not had trouble yet, but I use the bank's checks. You need good paper to hold up to dip pens.

I tried this and my EF carbon desk/carbon ink setup feathered like hell on checks and envelopes. I have been kinda unimpressed with platinum carbon ink. Pelikan 4001 seems to be much, much less feather-ey.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

Twenty five years ago my wife wrote a rent check for her student apartment and did not sign it in an attempt to get the landlord's attention about work needed to be done. The bank deposited it to his account anyway :yikes:

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

In the US at least, I believe the bank has every right to accept for deposit an unsigned cheque, although is under no obligation to do so. The payee probably guaranteed the amount.

Edited by Braxfield

"They come as a boon and a blessing to men,
the Pickwick, the Owl and the Waverley Pen."

1:1 mix old fashion iron gall blue black + old fashiin carbon .. always work for me

I tried this and my EF carbon desk/carbon ink setup feathered like hell on checks and envelopes. I have been kinda unimpressed with platinum carbon ink. Pelikan 4001 seems to be much, much less feather-ey.

Platinum Carbon is kind of well too modern ; wet the ink is and just not quite old style Carbin ink which tend to be thick and thus high maintainence due to its nature.Platinum try and success in making the ink user friendly but also lose out on the dry and suite all flow

Checks...? sweet memories of ancient times. I ignored that they are still used in some parts of the world. I think I signed my last check more than 30 years ago.

Orval

Platinum Carbon is kind of well too modern ; wet the ink is and just not quite old style Carbin ink which tend to be thick and thus high maintainence due to its nature.Platinum try and success in making the ink user friendly but also lose out on the dry and suite all flow

I am curious if sailor carbon ink is better, but it really doesn't strike me as something I want to spend like $25 on right now. I like noodlers X feather and diamine registrars on checks just fine, so it'll just be a curiosity for a while.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

Checks...? sweet memories of ancient times. I ignored that they are still used in some parts of the world. I think I signed my last check more than 30 years ago.

I was wondering whether I was the only one who ended his checkbook long ago and can't even remember where to look for it, in case...

One other thing, print your own checks?... really? we can't do this here...

In the US at least, I believe the bank has every right to accept for deposit an unsigned cheque, although is under no obligation to do so. The payee probably guaranteed the amount.

Interesting. I did not know that.

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

I am curious if sailor carbon ink is better, but it really doesn't strike me as something I want to spend like $25 on right now. I like noodlers X feather and diamine registrars on checks just fine, so it'll just be a curiosity for a while.

Both Japanese Mfr claim nano sized particle , and I think Sailor stipulate that theirs are pigment , not carbon ( but I might be wrong ) , for my writing I prefer old fashion Iron Gall and old fashion Carbon ink ( with its resin or gum content ) , always found them long term much more resistant / immune to elements than all the modern pigment or voodoo formula

You can find these Older check machines at thrift stores and used office supply stores, amazon, or eBay. This is the ultimate check-writing experience. I have had two ancient machines from PayMaster with big, beautifully machined cranks, and deep embossing capabilities. There are are more modern electronic check printing thingies, too. Very fun and cool but nothing like the mechanical ker-CHUNK of the older machines.

https://www.amazon.com/Paymaster-9000-8RF-Checkwriter/dp/B001BDFQPE

I ride a recumbent, I play go, I use Macintosh so of course I use a fountain pen.

• 1 month later...

I signed my most recent check three days ago. I signed it, and filled out the rest of the information on it, with Noodler's Black ink. Thinking about it, I've been using Noodler's Black for checks for 16 years now. We also mail the envelope with the check in it at the Post Office itself, to avoid the checks being simply stolen from outdoor mailboxes.

If thieves trying to wash checks and rip off the check signers find that they can't work their nefarious ways on a check I don't think they put the check back in the envelope and put it back in the outdoor mailbox they've knocked off :) . The most secure ink in the world won't get my bills paid if the check has been trashed by the thieves.

You can find these Older check machines at thrift stores and used office supply stores, amazon, or eBay. This is the ultimate check-writing experience. I have had two ancient machines from PayMaster with big, beautifully machined cranks, and deep embossing capabilities. There are are more modern electronic check printing thingies, too. Very fun and cool but nothing like the mechanical ker-CHUNK of the older machines.

https://www.amazon.com/Paymaster-9000-8RF-Checkwriter/dp/B001BDFQPE

That is one expensive little device, for its purpose. It's for companies putting out quite a few checks, of course. That price makes any of the permanent inks used on checks seem really inexpensive. And you can't have fun writing in a journal or anything like that with the PayMaster machine, either :lticaptd:!

On a sacred quest for the perfect blue ink mixture!

ink stained wretch filling inkwell

As a matter of curiosity, where companies pay dividends or capital returns, do they send cheques (or even checks)?

Here, it is mostly not an option. If you can not nominate a bank account into which they can transfer the money, they will wait until you get one.

X

As a matter of curiosity, where companies pay dividends or capital returns, do they send cheques (or even checks)?

Here, it is mostly not an option. If you can not nominate a bank account into which they can transfer the money, they will wait until you get one.

I don't know of anyone who even owns stocks in their name...

Most are held in brokerage name and the brokerage keeps the distribution of which shares are yours. Dividends/returns go to the brokerage which distributes them proportional to the shares into the cash balance of your account.

Thanks. To explain, I haven't been near a (human) broker in over 20 years so everything is self-managed on line, whether that is in some entity name or personal, even where you empower someone to trade on your behalf (which I don't). It is pretty normal here. Perhaps this is another difference consistent with the original question of paying bills on line or on expensive* bits of paper?

* expensive: creation, handling, movement, loss or theft, security & fraud, transcription, storage, archival

Edited by praxim

X

I just shrug at the poor quality paper of the brand of checks my bank offers and write away.... I do tend to use inks that are relatively permanent (at the moment it's Noodler's Heart of Darkness).

Our current bank bought out our old bank, and 95% of the time I think they're better. But the company they get the checks from has awful paper. The old bank made a big fuss about how you had to only use blue or black ink, but never batted an eye over Noodler's Kung Te Cheng or Noodler's El Lawrence. The current bank did frown a little when I was going to sign the line of credit re-finance paperwork last winter with purple ink (but I did have another pen with me just in case, inked up with something blue....

I also used Kung Te Cheng when we bought our most recent car, except for the finance paperwork which was a carbonless multi page form, and I wasn't sure the nib on the Konrad the ink was in would handle it (so I did have to use a BP for that part). Next time, though, I'm gonna be ready and have something like a vintage Esterbrook kitted out with a manifold nib.... :rolleyes:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Have been usin' checks issued from me bank and very flexible extra- fine or fine nibs with blue-black ink{s}....

Skrip..Pilot..Without any problemo...However never tried writin' on toilet paper as suggested above....But

did write a long letter on military issue toilet paper {multiple sheets 1-6 both sides {redacted} } usin'

a pencil....Worked like a charm.....

Op..perhaps start usin' better paper.........................Good luck.

Fred

Edited by Freddy