The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Loose Nib On My Safari

lamy safari nib loose

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#21 Anne-Sophie

Anne-Sophie

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,191 posts

Posted 25 June 2020 - 21:56

Nibs and feeds (Lamy's at least) are not designed to be constantly removed! They rely on friction to stay in place. Constant removal of the pieces causes wear and looseness.

I second that.

I never remove any of my Lamy nibs from their feeds.

I buy my pens with my preferred nib size and leave each nib on its feed, all the time, even when it is time for cleaning or, before an ink change.

If one wants to experiment with different nib sizes, one can buy standard colors Safari, Al Star and Vista  in each nib size then switch the feeds from one pen to another for line variation.

Lamy Joy can be bought as sets with different calligraphy nibs.

Edited by Anne-Sophie, 25 June 2020 - 21:57.

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

Sponsored Content

#22 gammada

gammada

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 July 2020 - 02:23

Lamy quality control is spotty at best. I've hoarded a collection of nearly 30 pens. Of them, all had different tolerances for the nibs, some were pretty tight, some loose, some had the feed came off alongside the nib.

So too for writing qualities. Some are smooth as butter, some not so much -worst offender so far, a B nib of all sizes! Most wrote well the first time, a few needed fiddling/ tweaking feeds or nibs.

Chinese pens costing less than half as much have a much better consistency than Lamy does. And I really don't like Chinese pens!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lamy, safari, nib, loose

Sponsored Content

|