The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Two Different Parker 45 Yellow Colors

parker 45 yellow

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 donnweinberg

donnweinberg

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 April 2020 - 20:40

I'm a Parker 45 collector (among other pens).  My impression is that the "Happy Colors" Yellow is quite hard to find. I have two FPs of one type of yellow, and one of another type of yellow.  See the photos here from different distances and perspectives:

Parker 45 - all FP.jpeg Parker 45 lower row.jpeg Parker 45 closeup of Yellows.jpeg Parker 45 Yellows - barrel ends.jpeg

Based mostly on the photo of the barrel ends, I believe that the two yellows (what I'd call a "goldenrod" yellow) that are alike are the authentic Parkers, and the one yellow that differs from the other two (what I'd call a "bright" yellow) probably is an Ariel Kullock creation.    The bright yellow barrel end has a different shape from other authentic Parker 45 FPs and seems to match other Kullocks of the same pen model. The other reason I believe that the bright yellow 45 is a Kullock is that one cannot screw off the nib section (the pen was never used before I purchased it, but I soaked it anyhow); the nib section appears to be fixed by design.  

On the two goldenrod yellow 45s, I replaced the stainless steel fittings, cap, and nibs with gold-plated fittings, gold arrow and brushed steel caps, and gold nibs (because I prefer the gold as a contrast to the stainless steel).  So don't be misled by my changes.

My question to the group is whether my conclusion about which yellow version is an authentic Parker is correct or incorrect.  Your input would be appreciated.  Thanks. -- Donn

Sponsored Content

#2 migo984

migo984

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,765 posts

Posted 24 April 2020 - 21:04

This thread might provide you with a bit more information:

http://www.fountainp...rker-45-yellow/

Verba volant, scripta manent

#3 jchch1950

jchch1950

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 25 April 2020 - 08:13

Nice collection.When a company made so many different colours of the same model of one pen they must have being thinking in sales and profits but some years after they are the dreams of collectors.  :)

#4 joss

joss

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,158 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 April 2020 - 08:35

That is a nice collection of Parker 45s!

If you are into Parker 45, I guess that you already know this Parker 45 website, showing a bright yellow P45 as being authentic Parker:

http://parker45pens.com/colours/

But colours can be deceiving on pc screens. I do not know whether Kullock glued the P45 section in the barrel. Did your pens come with caps or as barrels only? Because there also was a bright yellow Parker 45 made by Parker Argentina, with caps imprinted "Industria Argentina". These are genuine Parker (Argentina) pens and not made by Ariel Kullock.

The history of Parker Argentina is not well documented. There is some info in this webpage:

www.vintagepenscollection.com/HistoryofParker.html

I think that I read somewhere that old machinery from the Parker Argentina factory was bought by the Kullock family but I have no idea in which year that was.

#5 Estycollector

Estycollector

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,198 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 April 2020 - 12:14

Amazing collection.....WOW!!!!

"Respect science, respect nature, respect all people (s),"

#6 bsenn

bsenn

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 991 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 April 2020 - 14:25

The nib cannot be unscrewed from the one Kullock 45 I have. Like yours, mine had never been inked. I have not tried heat.

Brian

One test is worth a thousand expert opinions.

#7 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

Brain freeze, mmm... got pens?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,268 posts

Posted 25 April 2020 - 17:53

The 45s I have that are attributed to Kullock as identified by the seller, are not injection molded and appear to be turned on a lathe.

Parker made pens were injection molded. Look closely at the barrel threads for differences.
San Francisco International Pen Show - They have dates! August 23-24-25, 2019 AND August 28-29-30, 2020. Book your travel and tables now! My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

#8 donnweinberg

donnweinberg

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 April 2020 - 00:47

Thank you to all who have posted here.  Very helpful.  There was a yellow FP & Pencil Parker 45 set that completed its auction on Ebay last night.  I went as high as $168 (last 2 seconds final bid), but the set sold for $170 and change.  I noticed in the photos that the nib unit was removable and that the nib collar and feed were removable from the nib, so that helped.  The color looked bright yellow, but it was hard to tell because of lighting.  The set had a brushed steel with GP arrow cap, GP mid-barrel band, and 14K gold nib.  The seller was in South Korea. The buyer was a "private buyer."  The strange thing was that in the last few minutes of the auction, the "current bid" was showing as $72.50, so there must have been other last-second bids.

I have never seen a "pink" Parker 45 offered for sale or auction, by the way.  Has anyone else seen one offered for sale or auction?

#9 Barry Gabay

Barry Gabay

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,246 posts

Posted 27 April 2020 - 01:43

Remarkable collection. Thank you for sharing. 

#10 Wahl

Wahl

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,375 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 April 2020 - 17:54

These are the colors I have

jErXH9n.jpg

#11 NumberSix

NumberSix

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 April 2020 - 21:05

I have the turquoise, red, and olive ones like in your pic.(plus a silver Flighter)

What's that third from the right? Magenta? Pink?

I. Want. It. 

[/Veruca Salt]

#12 Ron Z

Ron Z

Museum Piece

• FPN Super Moderators

• 9,984 posts

Posted 27 April 2020 - 22:51

The 45s I have that are attributed to Kullock as identified by the seller, are not injection molded and appear to be turned on a lathe.

Parker made pens were injection molded. Look closely at the barrel threads for differences.

...and at the end of the barrel.  The injection molded barrels have sharper edges than lathe turned barrels, and a clean taper - which is the case with the bright yellow barrel.  Note too that molded barrels have a little bit sticking up in the middle on the end from the injection molding process, where as the bright yellow one does not.  Instead it looks like its center drilled for a live center for turning.  I think that the bright yellow one was made on a lathe.

banner200.jpg
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

#13 Wahl

Wahl

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• 7,375 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 April 2020 - 16:57

I have the turquoise, red, and olive ones like in your pic.(plus a silver Flighter)

What's that third from the right? Magenta? Pink?

I. Want. It. 

[/Veruca Salt]

OpaIa52.jpg

It´s one of the five happy colors, supposed to be pink ?, but to me, clearly magenta.

Edited by Wahl, 28 April 2020 - 16:59.

#14 NumberSix

NumberSix

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 April 2020 - 22:20

yes, please

#15 Slimfish

Slimfish

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 April 2020 - 19:43

What a remarkable post on Parker 45’s

I always thought that they were remarkable pens.

This is slightly of topic, sorry – have always looked for one in Midnight Blue

Never seen one.

Have assumed that these were all made at Arrow Park, not Newhaven.

#16 joss

joss

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,158 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 April 2020 - 12:48

This is slightly of topic, sorry – have always looked for one in Midnight Blue

Never seen one.

Where did you look? Midnight blue is not a rare colour is it?

#17 donnweinberg

donnweinberg

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 April 2020 - 16:00

As I recall, the midnight blue Parker 45, along with the black one, were the two most common colors sold in the U.S. in the 1990s.  For example, when I purchased my first Parker 45 at a Best Store (out of business for many years now), the only color it had left was the midnight blue, and it only showed that color and black in its catalogue.  I wonder whether the people of different nations were judged by Parker or the purchasers at wholesale (e.g., the pen and office-supply stores), statistically-speaking, to prefer certain colors over others.  Hard to fathom, but there must have been a somewhat rational business judgment behind color availability.

#18 Slimfish

Slimfish

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 April 2020 - 18:14

A great many thanks for your replies, joss & donnweinberg.

Clearly I am missing something, was never very clever.

I have never seen Parker 45 or a 61 Mk III in Midnight Blue.

Only ever seen Parker Aerometric 51’s and the C/C versions.

If you look at this colour in clear daylight it looks black until to examine it very closely.

The Parker colour code was 15.

Please can you post any photography of a 45 Midnight Blue in a half decent light, I would great appreciate looking at the images.

Attached Images

• Parker 51 FP MIGNIGHT BLUE USA b.jpg
  • Parker 51 CC Midnight Blue CONVERTIBLE cc.jpg

#19 donnweinberg

donnweinberg

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 April 2020 - 20:36

Hi, Slimfish.  Here's a photo of one of mine.  I enhanced the "color" function in "Photos" on my MacBook Pro to better show the blue.  This photo, I believe, fairly represents the color in indoor lighting.  Good luck in your hunt for this pen in that color.

Parker 45 FP - Midnight Blue.jpeg

#20 gammada

gammada

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 May 2020 - 00:50

Anyone knows where the 45 pens were made? I know there are Argentinian, Mexican, US and UK pens for sure. But also heard that there were also Spanish and French pens. Also, did they keep consistency among colours and versions?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: parker, 45, yellow

Sponsored Content

|