The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Suggestions For A Sheaffer Restoration

sheaffer restoration repair

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 TheHero

TheHero

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Gold

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 24 April 2020 - 06:32

I came across this pen that probably belonged to my grandfather.

IMG_20200424_090405.jpg IMG_20200424_090432.jpg IMG_20200424_090655.jpg IMG_20200424_090724.jpg IMG_20200424_090823.jpg IMG_20200424_090851.jpg

First of all I haven't been able to identify the pen or its age. It has a vacumatic fill and an ebonite feed. The ribbed section also seems to be made of ebonite and has some signs of whitening. The biggest problem with this pen is that the barrel has been sloppily glued to the section by some sort of adhesive, most probably many years after the pen was manufactured. The adhesive was quite brittle so I managed to carefully peel it off. What remains behind looks like damage to the barrel itself. The adhesive has dug small pits in the barrel material (maybe celluloid? Bakelite? I'd love to hear your thoughts). Even after the removal of the glue, I can't unscrew the barrel from the section and I'm too scared to force it. I'd really like to know what the pen is made of, how to restore whitening on hard rubber, what parts is the pen made of (threadded, glued) and how one would go about restoring it. I'd really appreciate your input on this pen as I'd be quite interested of restoring it myself. 

Sponsored Content

#2 FredRydr

FredRydr

Have Pen. Will Travel.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,478 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 April 2020 - 14:58

If that Crest was my pen and I wanted to keep as much of grandfather's pen as possible, I'd contact Ron Zorn for a Vac-Fill barrel transplant.  You might have to accept another color if you're impatient.  Your cap looks okay from the angle of your photo; dents are typical on the top, so it appears you're lucky.

#3 Ron Z

Ron Z

Museum Piece

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,806 posts

Posted 24 April 2020 - 15:18

The picture shows what looks to be chemical damage to the barrel. If the section, the front part ahead of the thread ring, can be unscrewed, and it should on a brown pen like that, then a barrel replacement is the answer.  Chances are that the filler needs to be restored as well. 

banner200.jpg
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

#4 Aysedasi

Aysedasi

24 Heures du Mans and Oblique Addict

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,209 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 April 2020 - 15:49

Looks like a 'pro' job to me.  I think you need a postage box with Ron's name on it.....

#5 TheHero

TheHero

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Gold

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 24 April 2020 - 21:00

The picture shows what looks to be chemical damage to the barrel. If the section, the front part ahead of the thread ring, can be unscrewed, and it should on a brown pen like that, then a barrel replacement is the answer.  Chances are that the filler needs to be restored as well. 

Ron Z, would you care to PM me with the particulars and approximate pricing about sending the pen over to you? Thanks!

#6 Ron Z

Ron Z

Museum Piece

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,806 posts

Posted 24 April 2020 - 22:38

You can contact me back channel by email - my signature line has a link to the website.

banner200.jpg
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sheaffer, restoration, repair

Sponsored Content

|