The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Newbie Interested In Your Favorite Estie Colors

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 Anaxyrus

Anaxyrus

I have the toes I have, let's just leave it at that.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 April 2020 - 15:25

I've been able to get the one's I wanted for less than $20. The ones I see restored can go for twice that amount. There might be some start up with replaceable parts and tools, but over all, I think you will enjoy being able to restore and save money.

I do plan to get to that point. For now I'd like to see a couple in person that I can use to get a taste of what they're like. I found what appear to be a couple of nice examples for less than 40 each. If for some reason I don't like them and decide to sell, the experience will be worth even a small loss.

Sponsored Content

#22 corgicoupe

corgicoupe

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,707 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 April 2020 - 17:44

With some sellers you can get a restored pen with the nib of your choice, which is an advantage. But yes, they are quite easy to restore yourself.

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

#23 Anaxyrus

Anaxyrus

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 April 2020 - 18:16

With some sellers you can get a restored pen with the nib of your choice, which is an advantage. But yes, they are quite easy to restore yourself.

Yeah, seems there are so many possibilities with these!

#24 Estycollector

Estycollector

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 April 2020 - 18:17

I do plan to get to that point. For now I'd like to see a couple in person that I can use to get a taste of what they're like. I found what appear to be a couple of nice examples for less than 40 each. If for some reason I don't like them and decide to sell, the experience will be worth even a small loss.

My favorite nibs so far are 3556 and 2778. The 2556 is a good writer for me as is the 9668. I've found nibs I wanted with a pen  attached. The early pens made from black rubber are exceptionally well made. Some nib have a flat feed and other the more modern rounded, but they all work and work well. 

Esterbrook pencils are not expensive and work well. Most take .9mm lead and the older rubber ones I have take 1.1 Autopoint lead. 

Edited by Estycollector, 19 April 2020 - 18:19.

#25 gweimer1

gweimer1

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,436 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 April 2020 - 21:04

The thing to remember is that there are a multitude of variations within the six basic Esterbrook J series colors.  The red and blue can be found so dark that they are just stunning.  I don't care for the green, but on the very light end, it becomes almost a Sage, and is really cool.  The Copper can be so dark, that it becomes the root beer that people look for.

Then there are the Visumasters, with their own unique colors.

Moving into the '50s, you find colors like Turquoise, Willow Green and Mint Green.  And Red.  And the pastels....

#26 Anaxyrus

Anaxyrus

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 April 2020 - 22:52

The thing to remember is that there are a multitude of variations within the six basic Esterbrook J series colors.  The red and blue can be found so dark that they are just stunning.  I don't care for the green, but on the very light end, it becomes almost a Sage, and is really cool.  The Copper can be so dark, that it becomes the root beer that people look for.

Then there are the Visumasters, with their own unique colors.

Moving into the '50s, you find colors like Turquoise, Willow Green and Mint Green.  And Red.  And the pastels....

Thanks. I've only done a limited amount of searching so far, but it's already become obvious that it could be tempting to own more than one of the "same" color. Very dangerous...

#27 Anaxyrus

Anaxyrus

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 April 2020 - 23:09

My favorite nibs so far are 3556 and 2778. The 2556 is a good writer for me as is the 9668. I've found nibs I wanted with a pen  attached. The early pens made from black rubber are exceptionally well made. Some nib have a flat feed and other the more modern rounded, but they all work and work well. 

Esterbrook pencils are not expensive and work well. Most take .9mm lead and the older rubber ones I have take 1.1 Autopoint lead. 

I'm excited about trying out some of the nib variation. I was surprised to read that so many don't use tipping material.

#28 Misfit

Misfit

Goddess of Inanimate Objects

• Member - Gold

• 2,361 posts

Posted 20 April 2020 - 01:47

I won an eBay auction for an Esterbrook with a 2314-M nib. I got it for less than you would pay for that nib alone. If you like italic nibs, the 2314-M(edium) is a very, very nice nib. I put it on the LJ with Bell System Property on it because I bought that pen from a seller I know well for quality. The Bell LJ was resacced and ready for use.
Posted Image

#29 Anaxyrus

Anaxyrus

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 April 2020 - 16:06

I won an eBay auction for an Esterbrook with a 2314-M nib. I got it for less than you would pay for that nib alone. If you like italic nibs, the 2314-M(edium) is a very, very nice nib. I put it on the LJ with Bell System Property on it because I bought that pen from a seller I know well for quality. The Bell LJ was resacced and ready for use.

Thanks for the info! I've never used an italic nib so this sounds like an inexpensive way to give it a shot.

#30 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,012 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 April 2020 - 18:49

Yeah, the great thing about the vintage Esterbrooks is the nib variety, and that it's easy to swap nib units from one pen to another.  At this point I have nearly all the 9xxx series nibs (both on pens or as just the nib unit) as well as a few of the 1xxx and 2xxx series nibs, to the point that I actually had a couple of duplicates of 2xxx nibs (so I was able to send one to someone a while back who was looking for that specific number).  

Sadly, though, I'm at the point where the nibs I still want are super expensive, like the 9312 Italic, (and one of the 8xxx series nibs -- the 8440 Superfine/Cartography nib; I want that one for when I get the red J restored for my husband and swap out the 9668 nib that came on it in case he doesn't like the line on any of the EFs I've got, including one of the Manifold nibs); I just hate the idea of paying more for a single nib unit than I did for most of the pens -- COMBINED (a lot of the Esties I have I got a few years ago when the prices tended to be in the $5-$15 US range, not counting any repairs).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#31 Anaxyrus

Anaxyrus

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 April 2020 - 21:20

All but one of my modern pens have fine nibs. The two Esties I have incoming are an LJ with a 2556 and a J with a 2668.

Edited by Anaxyrus, 20 April 2020 - 21:25.

#32 Estycollector

Estycollector

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 April 2020 - 21:31

All but one of my modern pens have fine nibs. The two Esties I have incoming are an LJ with a 2556 and a J with a 2668.

My 2556 nibs vary. Esterbrook listed the 2556 as fine and the 2668 as a medium

http://snyderfamily....t/estienibs.htm

#33 Anaxyrus

Anaxyrus

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 April 2020 - 21:43

My 2556 nibs vary. Esterbrook listed the 2556 as fine and the 2668 as a medium

http://snyderfamily....t/estienibs.htm

Exactly the reference I've been using! :D

#34 Misfit

Misfit

• Member - Gold

• 2,361 posts

Posted 21 April 2020 - 01:46

This is from Richards Pens website;

fpn_1587433495__56d720e9-903f-4d86-baf9-

Edited by Misfit, 21 April 2020 - 01:47.

Posted Image

#35 Misfit

Misfit

• Member - Gold

• 2,361 posts

Posted 21 April 2020 - 01:48

And that is just half of the list, but includes the 2314-M I bought.
Posted Image

#36 Anaxyrus

Anaxyrus

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 April 2020 - 02:04

Thanks. I've been perusing his J-series pen for some time, but hadn't discovered the nib page. Really handy!

#37 Anaxyrus

Anaxyrus

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 April 2020 - 03:01

I've been perusing his Estebrook pages but hadn't found the nib page. Great resource, thanks!

Sponsored Content

|