Review Of Aurora Internazionale

MoriartyR

I see that a new green marble Internazionale has just appeared on several retailer websites. I guess the plain red will be next. I’m glad that they seem to be reprising the whole set of the old Internazionales, though this one too is a limited edition of 919 and the same high price. Not a casual purchase.

Based on this fairly low quality photo used on all the sites the green doesn’t look as faithful to the original material as the blue and black are. It looks like a green version of the blue marble material, whereas the original in the picture I posted earlier was more of a swirly marble effect for the green pen - and nicer, I think. But impossible to know for sure until the actual pen ships to retailers and we see real photos of the shipped pen. It’s very nice but if it was exactly like the original then the green would be my favourite finish.

fpn_1589309019__1970807e-dd20-4210-8eb2-

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MoriartyR

• A Smug Dill

• mongrelnomad

• MightyEighth

pretty staggeringly gorgeous but oof. that price.

If it was $400 or so, I'd be eyeing one pretty strongly. As it is, I think I'm stuck with only one modern aurora, my optima flex. I wish their prices were just a smidge lower, I would love to have another. The flex nib was spectacular once I had it ground a bit finer, I'd love to have one of their more typical nibs.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

pretty staggeringly gorgeous but oof. that price.

If it was $400 or so, I'd be eyeing one pretty strongly. As it is, I think I'm stuck with only one modern aurora, my optima flex. I wish their prices were just a smidge lower, I would love to have another. The flex nib was spectacular once I had it ground a bit finer, I'd love to have one of their more typical nibs.

Yeah. They aren’t alone in charging a hefty price for the classically-inspired pens. Pelikan was charging three times this for their M101N Herzstück 1929, for example. But Montblanc’s Heritage series has been more in line with their regular Meisterstück range and (shocking to say this) almost seems reasonable.

I guess they know pen enthusiasts like the old stuff.

Excellent review! I really enjoyed reading it.

I loved the blue and its vintage look when I first saw it at a pen show. Absolutely loved it, but the price caused me to not buy it. I really hoped to find one pre-owned at an appropriate discount, but the fact is I have never seen one. I'm still looking and will continue to do so.

Now comes the green, which I may like even more. Same issue though.

Honeybadgers said if it were $400 he'd be eyeing it strongly. Heck, if they were $400 they'd both be on their way to me now! :-)

Yeah. They aren’t alone in charging a hefty price for the classically-inspired pens. Pelikan was charging three times this for their M101N Herzstück 1929, for example. But Montblanc’s Heritage series has been more in line with their regular Meisterstück range and (shocking to say this) almost seems reasonable.

I guess they know pen enthusiasts like the old stuff.

I mean, I guess I can be thankful pen makers haven't decided that they should be going after "Watch enthusiast" market pricing.

"A rolex submariner is totally worth $10-18,000"

ugh.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

• 2 months later...

I see that a new green marble Internazionale has just appeared on several retailer websites. I guess the plain red will be next. I’m glad that they seem to be reprising the whole set of the old Internazionales, though this one too is a limited edition of 919 and the same high price. Not a casual purchase.

Based on this fairly low quality photo used on all the sites the green doesn’t look as faithful to the original material as the blue and black are. It looks like a green version of the blue marble material, whereas the original in the picture I posted earlier was more of a swirly marble effect for the green pen - and nicer, I think. But impossible to know for sure until the actual pen ships to retailers and we see real photos of the shipped pen. It’s very nice but if it was exactly like the original then the green would be my favourite finish.

Just took delivery of this green Internazionale. My photo isn't particularly good, but the patterning in the material is indeed like the new blue version and not like the vintage green version. I still like it a lot. Photos floating around of the green range from the darker shade posted by MoriartyR above to lighter shades that look vintage jade-like. In real life it's the darker shade. Again, I like it a lot. Retro designs appeal to me, and this one delivers in the same way Parker Duofold Centennials do for me with a very similar form.

Haven't inked it yet. The pen has a great feel to it. The piston is very smooth. I got a Medium, which looks very fine at the tip, so we'll see how it writes. I've got a blue one on order, too, since, well, you know. This is only my second Aurora after a basic Optima in burgundy, so I'm glad to have another.

50166896906_c58ca5630e_b.jpg

Ink 'em if you got 'em!

Wonderful, MightyEighth. I’m glad you like it. I ordered the green too and it is scheduled to arrive tomorrow so I was pleased to see your photo and comments about it.

Wonderful, MightyEighth. I’m glad you like it. I ordered the green too and it is scheduled to arrive tomorrow so I was pleased to see your photo and comments about it.

Thanks! I give credit to your review for inspiring me to go after these Aurora models. I had seen the blue one both in photos and in person but I couldn't warm up to the ornate design on the top of the cap and the clip. But your review and, in particular, the photos of the vintage version made it click for me.

Here are a couple of shots of the Aurora along side a mid-1920's Parker Duofold Senior. These Duofolds, and the Centennials I mentioned previously (the Mark I, specifically), are some of my favorite pens. I particularly like this style of section.

- Marc

50167492211_91996e1f26_b.jpg

50166960208_31da1399ae_b.jpg

Ink 'em if you got 'em!

Thanks for the kind comments, MightyEighth. That’s such a great shot of the two pens and the Aurora marbled green really complements the orange of the Parker, somehow. You made a perfect choice for your collection.

Edited by MoriartyR

Thanks for the kind comments, MightyEighth. That’s such a great shot of the two pens and the Aurora marbled green really complements the orange of the Parker, somehow. You made a perfect choice for your collection.

Thank you, too, MoriartyR. Enjoy your new pen coming tomorrow.

- Marc

Ink 'em if you got 'em!

The verde arrived for me today. All good. Here’s the group now...

Beautiful! Which nib did you get on the verde?

Ink 'em if you got 'em!

Medium. Same as you. And like you said, it’s pretty close to fine and that’s typical of Auroras. They are half way between Japanese and European nib grading. I like fine nibs so it suits me.

The verde arrived for me today. All good. Here’s the group now...

fpn_1596122127__34722c5e-b22b-443e-8b54-

I love the vintage look of those pens! Gorgeous!

Im very fond of mine in black and rose gold. It has an unassuming presence, which, looked at closely, shows itself to be a real jewel of a pen. Only the owner might appreciate it fully, which is fine with me.

Edited by TexasCollector

Im very fond of mine in black and rose gold. It has an unassuming presence, which, looked at closely, shows itself to be a real jewel of a pen. Only the owner might appreciate it fully, which is fine with me.

I know just what you mean, and I think the same. I think the black also has a more ‘vintage’ feeling, to my mind. It is sober and serious, gentlemanly. I expect at some point we will see a plain red version, since the original range had one.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm afraid the price tag keeps me away; I have a couple of Optimas which I enjoy.

Well, some of the colours of the Aurora Internazionale are on offer today in the US$500–550 range, which isn't that much more than an Optima 365 in whichever colour-of-the-year. It's just that the "vintage feel" doesn't really appeal to me; I'd take the Aurora 88 Giove for the same price instead of the Internazionale any day.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Well, some of the colours of the Aurora Internazionale are on offer today in the US$500–550 range, which isn't that much more than an Optima 365 in whichever colour-of-the-year. It's just that the "vintage feel" doesn't really appeal to me; I'd take the Aurora 88 Giove for the same price instead of the Internazionale any day.

Where are they available for that price? Seems quite a bargain, but haven't found them advertised at that level...

Too many pens; too little writing.