The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Pelikan Edelstein Moonstone

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#61 MissCellany

MissCellany

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 18 May 2020 - 03:47

Well, I've been looking for a nice grey that's a bit lighter than my Diamine Earl Grey, and now you go and post this! Gorgeous review, thank you so much! I'll for sure have to pick a bottle up and try it out in my M405 Stresemann. >.>

Sponsored Content

#62 The Good Captain

The Good Captain

Gaston F Limoges

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,797 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 May 2020 - 08:24

How about Diamine Graphite?

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

#63 northvandave

northvandave

NOS (New Old Stock)

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 May 2020 - 15:27

Another really nice grey I have discovered recently is Sailor 223. Medium shading, lovely flow and more than legible on the page, especially on TR paper. My only beef with Sailor inks is how expensive they are, but sadly, worth every penny. ;) 

#64 lapis

lapis

medium rare

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,447 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 May 2020 - 19:13

Quadratus, have you had the chance to try out a sample of Hieronymus' Grey inks? Among the DARK GREY and LIGHT GREY, you might find one to suit your needs. I like them both!

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

#65 Karmachanic

Karmachanic

Nibalitic

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,767 posts

Posted 18 May 2020 - 20:02

I like a strong colour on the page ................  So perhaps I just prefer a "deeper" ink.

Have a look at Diamine Quartz Black.

"Simplicate and add Lightness."

#66 Eclipse157

Eclipse157

Hoarder of ink

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 May 2020 - 20:34

Have a look at Diamine Quartz Black.

+1 Amazing dark grey if you can get past the "black" label

Edited by Eclipse157, 18 May 2020 - 20:34.

#67 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• 18,219 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 May 2020 - 20:41

Quadratus, have you had the chance to try out a sample of Hieronymus' Grey inks? Among the DARK GREY and LIGHT GREY, you might find one to suit your needs. I like them both!

:yikes:

I just looked at their prices....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#68 Tas

Tas

Graphophile . . .

• Member - Gold

• 5,060 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 May 2020 - 22:18

:yikes:

I just looked at their prices....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

I know. Their videos are soooo lovely though :unsure:

#69 lapis

lapis

medium rare

• FPN Super Moderators

• 12,447 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 May 2020 - 22:39

H's prices are even topped off by their shipping costs. No wonder how come they can't find any company and/or store here in Germany who is willing to take over their imports.

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

#70 Quadratus

Quadratus

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 May 2020 - 10:17

Many thanks, all, for the recommendations for "strong" grey inks!  As always there is an embarrassment of choice...!

#71 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Pen Dust

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,590 posts

Posted 25 May 2020 - 20:43

Well, I'd have to needle load it into a cartridge on one of my nice springy regular flex Pelikan cartridge pens, ( :headsmack: forgot my 200's have nice springy regular flex nibs also) in I still have one perhaps two, cartridges of very old '90's grey and silver grey, both of whom I liked a lot. I had been hoping they would try to match either of them.

Run it though three or so papers. Three widths of nib too.

Gee I'd have to learn how to make pictures too.....sigh cubed.

Going to have to go on line to find out if my pen shop is open...............in I want my pen shop to stay open, I buy new from it, and not on line.

German vintage '50-70 semi-flex stubs and those in oblique give the real thing in On Demand line variation. Modern Oblique is a waste of money for a shadow of line variation. Being too lazy to Hunt for affordable vintage oblique pens, lets you 'hunt' for line variation instead of having it.

www.nibs.com/blog/nibster-writes/nibs-germany & https://www.peter-bo...cts/nib-systems,

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

#72 AidenMark

AidenMark

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 May 2020 - 04:36

H's prices are even topped off by their shipping costs. No wonder how come they can't find any company and/or store here in Germany who is willing to take over their imports.

H's ink is made in Germany (probably in romantic Wuppertal or the picturesque Rhein village of Ludwigshafen-Friesenheim).

It must be a thing to behold as it travels down the A5 sloshing about in the back of a DHL truck. All is calm as it reaches Basel and joins the A3. Yet during this final part of the journey it magically transforms itself: no longer mere 'ink' but now precious 'writing culture fluid'. When the consignment is off-loaded in Zurich it's worth 50 CHF for a 30ml bottle.

Less is More   - Ludwig Mies van der Rohe

Less is a Bore - Robert Venturi

#73 Intensity

Intensity

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,204 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 May 2020 - 05:07

Montblanc's elixir inks still have those beat on 'precious liquid' prices.  I actually like all the 01-level hues--did not know about that line, but thanks to the discussion on page 4, I've now looked through multiple reviews.  Probably won't be getting any at that price.

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

#74 sebastel23

sebastel23

i'm not ham fisted. my hands are more bacon flat.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 06:30

Gee I'd have to learn how to make pictures too.....sigh cubed.

Going to have to go on line to find out if my pen shop is open...............in I want my pen shop to stay open, I buy new from it, and not on line.

pictures: just do it. if you have a mobile phone, that should be a good starting point. observe light and shadow. yes you can!

shop: garlic is open. they took delivery of moonstone some weeks ago. bring your mask.

Edited by sebastel23, 26 May 2020 - 06:31.

#75 Tas

Tas

Graphophile . . .

• Member - Gold

• 5,060 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 May 2020 - 08:41

pictures: just do it. if you have a mobile phone, that should be a good starting point. observe light and shadow. yes you can!

shop: garlic is open. they took delivery of moonstone some weeks ago. bring your mask.

+1

#76 Thymen

Thymen

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 May 2020 - 18:22

I bought a bottle of Moonstone yesterday. Put it in my Pelikan M1000 with an F nib, and as mentioned here before, it is very 'pencil-like'. Although not an every-day ink, it is nice for leisurely writing.

I bought it to try out an Edelstein in said pen for it's perceived smoother writing experience. And because I did not have a gray ink yet.

Indeed, the inks writes smoother than the Pelikan 4001 Blue-Black. But when this fill is through, I'll put Moonstone in another pen and use the BB in the M1000 again.

Sponsored Content

|