The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Pelikan Edelstein Moonstone

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#21 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,294 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 April 2020 - 21:09

:lticaptd:

I guess I'm lucky in that I already own an M400 Stresemann then....  :D 

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Sponsored Content

#22 Intensity

Intensity

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,240 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 April 2020 - 07:35

Very helpful review!  I think I need a bottle.

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

#23 Karmachanic

Karmachanic

Nibalitic

• Member - Gold

• 2,781 posts

Posted 16 April 2020 - 10:02

:lticaptd:

I guess I'm lucky in that I already own an M400 Stresemann then....  :D 

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

I've been eyeballing the M805 version for quite some time.  Love the look, but I prefer a soft nib. Maybe one day.

"Simplicate and add Lightness."

#24 Tas

Tas

Graphophile . . .

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,067 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 April 2020 - 10:09

My psychiatrist told me that if I buy this ink I have to get a Stresemann to put it in.

:lol:

#25 Lgsoltek

Lgsoltek

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,453 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 April 2020 - 11:39

I've been eyeballing the M805 version for quite some time.  Love the look, but I prefer a soft nib. Maybe one day.

If you prefer a soft nib like I do, there's only one way out: M1005.

#26 Tas

Tas

Graphophile . . .

• Member - Gold

• 5,067 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 April 2020 - 11:41

:o

#27 lapis

lapis

medium rare

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,453 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 April 2020 - 11:52

My M1000 does the trick three

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

#28 Karmachanic

Karmachanic

Nibalitic

• Member - Gold

• 2,781 posts

Posted 16 April 2020 - 13:43

M805 would be a stretch. M1005 = rice and beans for a looong time. I'll wait and see how things play out over the summer.

#29 Tas

Tas

Graphophile . . .

• Member - Gold

• 5,067 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 April 2020 - 14:55

M805 would be a stretch. M1005 = rice and beans for a looong time. I'll wait and see how things play out over the summer.

I've said it before, I'll say it again . . . "Possession is nothing. But absence has breath"

I love how this has gone from a £20 bottle of ink purchase to a new £400 pen purchase. What are we like?! :unsure:

#30 Karmachanic

Karmachanic

Nibalitic

• Member - Gold

• 2,781 posts

Posted 16 April 2020 - 17:52

I've said it before, I'll say it again . . . "Possession is nothing. But absence has breath"

I love how this has gone from a £20 bottle of ink purchase to a new £400 pen purchase. What are we like?! :unsure:

The psychiatrist is going to get an earful.

#31 Intensity

Intensity

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,240 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 April 2020 - 19:08

Lgsoltek, do you by chance have writing samples made with GvFC Stone Grey that could be placed side-by-side with Moonstone writing for a comparison?  Or also Iroshizuku Kiri-Same.  Thank you either way.

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

#32 Lgsoltek

Lgsoltek

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 4,453 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 April 2020 - 19:43

Lgsoltek, do you by chance have writing samples made with GvFC Stone Grey that could be placed side-by-side with Moonstone writing for a comparison?  Or also Iroshizuku Kiri-Same.  Thank you either way.

I have neither, sorry!

#33 Intensity

Intensity

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,240 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 April 2020 - 00:45

No worries, the review photos are great already.  One more question: have you tried this ink with a pen that's not as generous with ink supply?  Both Lamy 2000 Broad and Pelikan M1005 Medium put down generously wet, broad lines.  Even with those pens, the ink looks quite translucent.  I wonder if it's on the pale side with drier pens, narrower nibs.

#34 Lgsoltek

Lgsoltek

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 4,453 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 April 2020 - 09:37

No worries, the review photos are great already.  One more question: have you tried this ink with a pen that's not as generous with ink supply?  Both Lamy 2000 Broad and Pelikan M1005 Medium put down generously wet, broad lines.  Even with those pens, the ink looks quite translucent.  I wonder if it's on the pale side with drier pens, narrower nibs.

It is quite translucent indeed, but still quite legible. I'll try it in a drier pen when one of them becomes available.

#35 Quadratus

Quadratus

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 April 2020 - 18:10

Thanks for the review.  I was not convinced by looking at the promotional pictures as I find greys difficult to use, (including Iroshizuku Fuyu-Syogun or Montblanc Oyster): they tend to look to light and insubstantial on the written page. 

But this excellent review of the new Pelikan ink has convinced me. I shall definitely have to get a bottle!

#36 VivaTerlingua

VivaTerlingua

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 April 2020 - 19:09

Lovely review, picked up a bottle after reading it.

Marvellous.
Never have enough greys.

Ain’t that the truth!

#37 essayfaire

essayfaire

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 April 2020 - 19:42

Interesting that you asked about Kiri-same - I recently tested the Kiri-Same and decided to take a pass as I thought it had nice shading properties but was unexciting.  I think I'm going to find Moonstone too cool to my liking.  Perhaps my "nos" are your "yesses".  ;)

We are all Lady Macbeth now. 

#38 5Cavaliers

5Cavaliers

Ageless with time

• Member - Gold

• 3,285 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 April 2020 - 19:44

Excellent review!  Thank you for taking the time to do it!  

I was pretty certain from the advertisement that I would like this ink, and you have confirmed it.  This last year I have been finding how much I enjoy grey inks; I love the subtle nuances to other colors.  It's not just light black anymore.  

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours.  When it is gone, it is gone.  Be wise, but enjoy!  - anonymous today

#39 Intensity

Intensity

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,240 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 April 2020 - 20:18

Interesting that you asked about Kiri-same - I recently tested the Kiri-Same and decided to take a pass as I thought it had nice shading properties but was unexciting.  I think I'm going to find Moonstone too cool to my liking.  Perhaps my "nos" are your "yesses".  ;)

Kiri-Same was not a love-at-first-write for me.  But it really grew on me, and now I own a 50ml bottle.  It has curious tints added to the gray, such as pink and brown.  The appearance depends on paper and illumination and can look neutral gray, or pink-purple-gray, or even kind of brownish.  It's my favorite of the gray inks I own, whereas before it I was more into cool-toned grays.  Good water resistance and flow properties too.  Only thing I don't like about it is the slight feathering.  But of course that's not a problem on Tomoe River.  It can be a problem on other paper, even some good Japanese paper.

#40 Karmachanic

Karmachanic

Nibalitic

• Member - Gold

• 2,781 posts

Posted 21 April 2020 - 13:36

Mr Postman delivered the Moonstone ink today. I'll have to make do with a Conid Minimalistica with a Ti 0.7 CI nib. Boo Hoo. :D

Edited by Karmachanic, 21 April 2020 - 13:40.

Sponsored Content

|