Akkerman Delfts Blauw - Impression

yazeh

Akkerman Delfts Blauw

This is short impression on Akkerman’s Delfts Blauw, inspired by Delft China...

At first, I was not so impressed by the ink. It was almost too pale too bare. And it didn’t agree with my dry Waterman W2, though the only ink which agrees with this pen is R & K Verdigris.

But after a couple of days it grew on me. Even in Waterman W2 it was alright. But the pen was still scratchy.

It looks best in a monster Jinhao 450 with a fude nib. In my opinion it needs a wet wide nib.

It’s a beautiful colour to use for this time of year, and with all the suffering going about, a soft blue is quite soothing…..

Shading is again obvious with fude/wet nibs to a degree, but it dries to a soft muted color, as you can see. Faint sheening only with the fude nib on Tomoe River.

Dry time is decent, flow wet but not lubricated. Though it made my Stub TWISBI less scratchy
smile.png
You can write non ephemeral texts with it, without fear. It will survive accidental spills, but I won’t sign a check or write an envelope with it.

Personally, I prefer small bottles of inks. But the packaging is simple, understated, with an antique teal to it.

I would suggest a sample for those interested and many pens to try, test and enjoy……

Part I

Day 1 Rhodia dot pad:

Scan.jpeg

Amazon fountain pen unfriendly copy paper

Akkerman's DB copyjpeg.jpeg

Tomoe River

Akkerman's DB TR.jpeg

Water test - Rhodia Before

Akkerman's delft blauw.jpeg

After

Akkerman's DB WT.jpeg

Edited by yazeh

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• yazeh

• JCC123

• inkstainedruth

• Dione

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Part II

Comparison with other blues:

Akkerman's DBComp.jpeg

Wet ink and sheen for the discerning eye on Tomoe River

Wet ink and sheen.jpg

Sheen (for the discerning eye)

Sheen.jpg

And finally ink bottle and box:

Akkerman Ink bottle copy.jpg

Enjoy....

Thanks for the review. This is one I haven't tried. I'll admit that I tend to prefer bolder, more saturated inks, like Akkerman Shocking Blue, but you're right -- this does seem to need a nib that will give it some oomph (and bring out the lovely shading).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I think I might just get a bottle - when I can!

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

Thank you so much for the review! I love this ink! I just got a sample before things "shut down", and I have been enjoying it immensely. One of the things I really like is that it isn't so saturated and it shades so nicely.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

Lovely review and lovely color, thank you! I've alway liked soft, pastel blues and azures, and this one definitely fits the bill. Reminds me of Iro Ajisai, KWZ Azure #1, Diamine China Blue... ah the beauty.. :wub:

Edit: typos

Edited by Eclipse157

ovely review and lovely color, thank you! I've alway liked soft, pastel blues and azures, and this one definitely fits the bill. Reminds me of Iro Ajisai, KWZ Azure #1, Diamine China Blue... ah the beauty.. :wub:

Edit: typos

Thank you. It is indeed soft and soothing :)

Thanks for the review. This is one I haven't tried. I'll admit that I tend to prefer bolder, more saturated inks, like Akkerman Shocking Blue, but you're right -- this does seem to need a nib that will give it some oomph (and bring out the lovely shading).

It was quite surprising to me too. After the initial shock, I was won over by. It whispers, it doesn't shout..... ;)

I think I might just get a bottle - when I can!

:rolleyes:

Thank you so much for the review! I love this ink! I just got a sample before things "shut down", and I have been enjoying it immensely. One of the things I really like is that it isn't so saturated and it shades so nicely.

Most welcome. With your love of Manyo series, it doesn't surprise me :)

Edited by yazeh

• 1 year later...
14 minutes ago, TitoThePencilPimp said:

Hmm., Is this particular ink repackaged Diamine China Blue?

This has been suggested many times, but if it is, my bottles came from very different batches. China Blue is definitely darker, with more red sheen than the Akkerman ink. Given a choice, I prefer the latter.

Well, I've revised my opinion of Delfts Blue.  I was able to get a bottle recently when Vanness sent me a notification that it was back in stock.  I have it in my Teal Blue 51 Aero, F nib, and am just LOVING the ink.  I don't know whether it's a different batch from my sample but it's a much more vibrant color than I remembered.  Definitely a light/medium blue (and I'm still a complete sucker for Akkerman Shocking Blue, which is of course a lot darker color.  But I'm just so pleased I was able to score a bottle of it, finally. :thumbup:  

As for the question about it verses Diamine China Blue, sorry, I don't have the other ink so I have no idea.

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Thanks mizgeorge and inkstainedruth. I liked Diamine China Blue a lot. Well at least the mislabeled bottle of China Blue I received from Cult Pens. It was definitely Diamine Sapphire Blue. I liked the color enough, so decided not to reach out to cult pens for a replacement.

I may placed an order for both China Blue and Delfts Blue. Hopefully I get an actual China Blue this time.

On 9/9/2021 at 9:28 PM, TitoThePencilPimp said:

Hmm., Is this particular ink repackaged Diamine China Blue?

My experience of both suggests it probably is.

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

Thanks, I've bought a couple of the Ackerman for the lovely bottle and a bunch of the Diamine China Blues as refills. Best of both worlds as the Diamine is super inexpensive as compared to the Ackerman.