The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Help Me Assemble Evidence That Handwritten Letters Are Safe Enough.

letters handwriting correspondence

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 praxim

praxim

still on twig

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,208 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 April 2020 - 23:08

It is inconsistent to say that gloves are useless but washing hands is vital. We can discuss relative value, but if washing works then other prophylaxis for the hands can not be of no value.

While the information from Dr Streeck is both interesting and plausible to me, it is as yet not (sfaik) formally reviewed, published, critiqued, and independently confirmed.

I will wait, taking for now only that additional emphasis should be placed on masks.

Sponsored Content

#22 adamselene

adamselene

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 02 June 2020 - 01:52

Regarding the use of gloves and PPE, from my experience working in a very contaminated environment.

Everything outside my “personal space” I regard as contaminated.

My hands are clean before I put on gloves.

If I urgently want a cough drop, I can use my hands without first finding a sink by safely removing my gloves and chucking them.

(And do other personal things...  )

Edited by adamselene, 02 June 2020 - 01:57.

Cheers,

“It’s better to light a candle than curse the darkness

#23 ScarletWoodland

ScarletWoodland

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 June 2020 - 10:14

I found gloves useful while I was still working, just before lockdown. I work in a cash handling job where we can't just run off to wash our hands every 5 minutes. We had a rubbing alcohol spray but that would destroy our skin in no time, so my colleague and I wore nitrile gloves and sterilised those fully between each (mainly elderly) customer.

I'll look forward to that research coming out as the cautious, 72hr wait is pretty impractical for some things.

#24 Estycollector

Estycollector

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 June 2020 - 11:24

All:

I like sending handwritten communications. Postcards, letters. I'd like to continue doing so.

Please contribute any links or resources you know that will support the safety of handwritten personal letters and cards. Here's the one I have (New York Times, March 24, 2020)
https://www.nytimes....esultPosition=1

I'd like to have good evidence for anyone that asks me why I'm still sending thank you cards, thoughts, etc. through snail mail. I hope that our shared joy in the handwritten world will uncover some good science or philosophy to support our continued sharing on paper.

I know that there is at least one thread here about the packages that come from China or senders in other "hot spots". My question seems a different concern so I started a new thread. If mods or users want to shift this elsewhere on the site, I'd be happy to do that.

Sincerely,
jonathan7007

I began writing thank you notes in 2010 to my referral sources. One day I noticed that a nurse had pinned every note I had written on a cork board over her desk. That sold me that my practice was of value to others.

I  now write my family members letters using FP's and dip pens. The love getting them and say so. I even get letter back and have the displayed nearby. 

Also, I no longer am concerned to cross out a word or phrase as this was common back in the day when paper was scarce. 

"Respect science, respect nature, respect all people (s),"

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: letters, handwriting, correspondence

Sponsored Content

|