shadrickjr

After seeing a Jinhao x750 after being sanded down, I got curious. Recently, I sanded down a Parker Urban (2016 model) after the pocket clip broke off. I would like to dedicate this thread to the fountain pens that have had their finish removed. Please post pictures of your pens that have been sanded down or have had their finished scratched to oblivion. I'll start with my Parker Urban. Please post the pictures and the name of the pen.

iMarkup_20200405_173233.jpg

iMarkup_20200405_173426.jpg

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shadrickjr

• Arkanabar

• KBeezie

• txomsy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Haven't tried yet. I have a cheap Brass Sport-Clone whose finish is starting to wear out after one year rattling on a pocket with coins, keys, etc.. and was considering doing it all the way through once it wears out a bit more.

But you gave me a neat idea to ponder. I also have a second-hand MB Noblesse that had had a previous owner engraving removed and have been wondering how to deal with it for a long time. One option was chrome-replating, but now I am thinking it may actually look better sanded. It seems to be brass underneath, it would make a surprisingly looking MB.

Maybe when this is all over and I have spare time again, I'll give it a try and post the results here.

If you are to be ephemeral, leave a good scent.

Haven't tried yet. I have a cheap Brass Sport-Clone whose finish is starting to wear out after one year rattling on a pocket with coins, keys, etc.. and was considering doing it all the way through once it wears out a bit more.

But you gave me a neat idea to ponder. I also have a second-hand MB Noblesse that had had a previous owner engraving removed and have been wondering how to deal with it for a long time. One option was chrome-replating, but now I am thinking it may actually look better sanded. It seems to be brass underneath, it would make a surprisingly looking MB.

Maybe when this is all over and I have spare time again, I'll give it a try and post the results here.

Nice, I'd love to see it if you happen to get around to it. Although I do enjoy pens with battle scars, I must say that the brass underneath is quite beautiful.

Edited by shadrickjr

I did this once in the previous millennium, after dropping out of university. I used a box cutter or similar razor knife to scrape the lacquer off of ... jeez, I don't know, probably a Sheaffer Targa or something like it. That pen, like all the pens I bought in the 80s, is long gone.

My wife recently bought me a six-pack of assorted Jinhao X750s. One has a really unpleasant textured black finish. If I decide to try this, that's the one that gets it first.

Edited by Arkanabar

• 3 weeks later...

PS: If you try it on a Pilot MR/Metropolitan you'll find that they're made of brass and not the aluminum people expect (Which can be interesting for some forced patina).

I happen to have a pilot metro with a small chip at the bottom. Although I am tempted, the finish hasn't gotten banged up enough yet for me to strip it down. Do you happen to have any images of the Metro without the finish?

I'd like to see a naked Metro, myself. I was a little disappointed when what came up after sanding my X750 was apparently stainless steel, except for brass finials.

It's still more appealing than the metallic gold-tone paint that used to cover the thing.

eta: my wife thinks she might like the black one I mentioned in the previous post, and insisted that I leave it alone, even though her favorite FP is her Lamy Logo.

Edited by Arkanabar

For those of you who want to keep the brass bright, I'd suggest lacquering the metal. Nitrocellulose lacquer is what Gillette (and other razor manufacturers) used for at least half a century, and it's still available. Polyurethane works, but I'm not terribly fond of the look. (tried it on one of my razors where the finish had worn off enough I just finished the job) Shellac can also work, but then you have to worry about setting your pen down in a drink spill.

No, the lacquer will NOT explode after 5 years :) In fact, most nitrocellulose lacquers won't explode, unless you set them on fire.

Heh. I remember one scene in James Burke's Connections, where some guy brought a set of billiard balls into a western saloon, made of a newfangled synthetic ivory material -- nitrocellulose. Hijinks ensued.

No, they didn't explode either. Nitrocellulose has to be powdered, or at least turned into cordite, to burn that well. But there were loud, fiery bangs.

Edited by Arkanabar