The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Removing The Finish

remove finish sand sanded down off removing chipping paint abrasive

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 shadrickjr

shadrickjr

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 April 2020 - 22:36

After seeing a Jinhao x750 after being sanded down, I got curious. Recently, I sanded down a Parker Urban (2016 model) after the pocket clip broke off. I would like to dedicate this thread to the fountain pens that have had their finish removed. Please post pictures of your pens that have been sanded down or have had their finished scratched to oblivion. I'll start with my Parker Urban. Please post the pictures and the name of the pen.

Attached Images

• iMarkup_20200405_173233.jpg
  • iMarkup_20200405_173426.jpg

Sponsored Content

#2 shadrickjr

shadrickjr

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 April 2020 - 22:58

Jinhao x750 without the finish.

Attached Images

• iMarkup_20200405_175444.jpg
  • iMarkup_20200405_175427.jpg

#3 txomsy

txomsy

Ignoramus maximus

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 905 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 April 2020 - 07:16

Haven't tried yet. I have a cheap Brass Sport-Clone whose finish is starting to wear out after one year rattling on a pocket with coins, keys, etc.. and was considering doing it all the way through once it wears out a bit more.

But you gave me a neat idea to ponder. I also have a second-hand MB Noblesse that had had a previous owner engraving removed and have been wondering how to deal with it for a long time. One option was chrome-replating, but now I am thinking it may actually look better sanded. It seems to be brass underneath, it would make a surprisingly looking MB.

Maybe when this is all over and I have spare time again, I'll give it a try and post the results here.

#4 shadrickjr

shadrickjr

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 April 2020 - 12:05

Haven't tried yet. I have a cheap Brass Sport-Clone whose finish is starting to wear out after one year rattling on a pocket with coins, keys, etc.. and was considering doing it all the way through once it wears out a bit more.

But you gave me a neat idea to ponder. I also have a second-hand MB Noblesse that had had a previous owner engraving removed and have been wondering how to deal with it for a long time. One option was chrome-replating, but now I am thinking it may actually look better sanded. It seems to be brass underneath, it would make a surprisingly looking MB.

Maybe when this is all over and I have spare time again, I'll give it a try and post the results here.

Nice, I'd love to see it if you happen to get around to it. Although I do enjoy pens with battle scars, I must say that the brass underneath is quite beautiful.

Edited by shadrickjr, 06 April 2020 - 14:26.

#5 Arkanabar

Arkanabar

Ain't I a stinker?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,904 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 April 2020 - 19:53

I did this once in the previous millennium, after dropping out of university.  I used a box cutter or similar razor knife to scrape the lacquer off of ... jeez, I don't know, probably a Sheaffer Targa or something like it.  That pen, like all the pens I bought in the 80s, is long gone.

My wife recently bought me a six-pack of assorted Jinhao X750s.  One has a really unpleasant textured black finish.  If I decide to try this, that's the one that gets it first.

Edited by Arkanabar, 08 April 2020 - 19:54.

#6 KBeezie

KBeezie

Gerbil Charmer

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,724 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 April 2020 - 07:32

PS: If you try it on a Pilot MR/Metropolitan you'll find that they're made of brass and not the aluminum people expect (Which can be interesting for some forced patina). 

#7 shadrickjr

shadrickjr

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 April 2020 - 16:12

PS: If you try it on a Pilot MR/Metropolitan you'll find that they're made of brass and not the aluminum people expect (Which can be interesting for some forced patina). 

I happen to have a pilot metro with a small chip at the bottom. Although I am tempted, the finish hasn't gotten banged up enough yet for me to strip it down. Do you happen to have any images of the Metro without the finish?

#8 Arkanabar

Arkanabar

Ain't I a stinker?

• Member - Gold

• 2,904 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 April 2020 - 20:58

I'd like to see a naked Metro, myself.  I was a little disappointed when what came up after sanding my X750 was apparently stainless steel, except for brass finials.

It's still more appealing than the metallic gold-tone paint that used to cover the thing.

eta:  my wife thinks she might like the black one I mentioned in the previous post, and insisted that I leave it alone, even though her favorite FP is her Lamy Logo.

Edited by Arkanabar, 27 April 2020 - 15:01.

#9 Bibliophage

Bibliophage

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 26 April 2020 - 22:53

For those of you who want to keep the brass bright, I'd suggest lacquering the metal.   Nitrocellulose lacquer is what Gillette (and other razor manufacturers) used for at least half a century, and it's still available.   Polyurethane works, but I'm not terribly fond of the look. (tried it on one of my razors where the finish had worn off enough I just finished the job)  Shellac can also work, but then you have to worry about setting your pen down in a drink spill.  

No, the lacquer will NOT explode after 5 years :)   In fact, most nitrocellulose lacquers won't explode, unless you set them on fire.  

#10 Arkanabar

Arkanabar

Ain't I a stinker?

• Member - Gold

• 2,904 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 April 2020 - 15:29

Heh.  I remember one scene in James Burke's Connections, where some guy brought a set of billiard balls into a western saloon, made of a newfangled synthetic ivory material -- nitrocellulose.  Hijinks ensued.

No, they didn't explode either.  Nitrocellulose has to be powdered, or at least turned into cordite, to burn that well.  But there were loud, fiery bangs.

Edited by Arkanabar, 27 April 2020 - 15:32.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: remove, finish, sand, sanded, down, off, removing, chipping, paint, abrasive

Sponsored Content

|