What Pen Would You Recommend As A Gift For Some One That Never Used A Fountain Pen

shalitha33

What pen would you recommend as a gift for some one that never used a fountain pen as an introduction to fountain pens. For some one that has only ever written with cheap ballpoints.

I am not limited to cross pens, but with a budget of around 250 usd tops. I wouldn't want to go too cheap to put them off using fountain pens. But because i am not sure if they would ever use it i don't want to go too much over the 250 mark.

What would you recommend?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• langere

• sansenri

• Estycollector

• dogpoet

My first thoughts turned to either a Lamy 2000 or Pilot Vanishing Point.

"Respect science, respect nature, respect all people (s),"

My first thoughts turned to either a Lamy 2000 or Pilot Vanishing Point.

Those are very good. I might go with a standard, non hooded nib for the first pen. Maybe a Sailor 1911, Platinum 3776, Pelikan M2xx/M4xx. All are popular and pretty safe choices. And if you aren't sure he/she would use it, why not start with a Pilot metro, TWSBI eco, etc. to see how he/she likes fountain pens? Then when he/she loves or hates it, you could spend a little more.

Good luck finding the right pen.

Have you thought of going vintage? I'd recommend a well cared-for Parker 45 with a converter. They are very sturdy, and if the collecting bug hits, they are available in such a wide range of colours and finishes, they'll keep any collector busy for years.

For someone who has only used cheap ballpoints I would first give them a Safari and see how that goes.

Add lightness and simplicate.

For someone who has only used cheap ballpoints I would first give them a Safari and see how that goes.

+1

Either that or a Pilot Metropolitan. Giving a person a fountain pen does not mean that they will actually like it or use it. Believe me, I have tried this many times with little success.

If the person likes the pen and uses it then you could consider a more expensive gift.

+1

Either that or a Pilot Metropolitan. Giving a person a fountain pen does not mean that they will actually like it or use it. Believe me, I have tried this many times with little success.

If the person likes the pen and uses it then you could consider a more expensive gift.

+1.

I'd reccomend you start with something inexpensive.

The fountain pen I have reccomended to multiple people is the Pilot Varsity, (a disposable fountain pen), and some enjoyed the experience, while others realized they were simply not interested in using fountain pens.

Since you are interested in giving the person a decent pen, I'd agree with carlos.q, and giv3e your friend a fine - nibbed Pilot Metropolitan, (it's line width should be simmilar to a cheap ballpoint), and give him a bottle of Pelikan ink, (30 ml to be on the safe side).

These are my 2 cents, but I think the Metro and a drier ink should give help him (potentially) ease into the wonderful world of fountain pens.

I hope that helps...

I agree on inexpensive, Metro or Safari would be my suggestion.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

I have started many people on their fountain pen journey. And generally I have given Lamy Safari or Al-Stars. It somewhat depends on how the person writes. If the person writes overhand, then I almost always give them a Lamy Safari. The triangular section helps with stability when first learning.

I have also been known to give Faber Castell Looms as first pens. The nibs almost always work well out of the box and they have a bit more weight to them than a Safari.

Several years ago, I gave a Safari to a friend who wanted to try out fountain pens again. He has used a fountain pen as a child, but not as an adult. Then about a year later, I gave him a Lamy 2000. Those are the only two pens he uses now. Interestingly, he did find a Diplomat that his mother owned, which he has had reconditioned and now uses.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

Thank you so much for all your suggestions.

Almost all pens i have used are vintage pens so my knowledge in modern pens is basically zero. Only modern pens i have used sofar are pelikan m200 and lamy safari. I haven't enjoyed the way safari writes but that could be down to a problem just the pen i got. My daily pen is a much older waterman 515 and a mabie todd swan 1500.

i will have a check around to see which one i can go with. always wanted to check out a Pilot Metropolitan and this may be my chance to get one for myself as well :). Since it has the option to go with Cartridges as well as the converter, may be they can start with something that feels more like what they are used to.

Thanks again for all your suggestion.

To the suggestions of a Safari or a Metropolitan, I'll also suggest something like a Parker Vector (if the person has smaller hands) or possibly an older Pelikan Pelikano. The advantage of all of these are that they are c/c pens, and converters are not that expensive.

I would definitely NOT recommend an expensive pen to a new user. Because it's likely going to end up in a desk drawer unused (the way the Pelikan M200 my friend gave me as a joke had been before she got it on Freecycle). Pen had never seen ink before I got it, and the box looked to be in pretty much mint condition. Probably some sort of corporate gift, because it has the Bayer logo on it. My friend had no idea that it was probably a $100+ pen, just that it was a Pelikan pen and the logo.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I would also suggest a Metropolitan. The reason why is because they are pretty cool looking pens with interesting colors and they have the classic cigar shape.

Instead of spending a lot on the pen, how about adding a few nice inks? Then you are setting them up for success. Get them colors they like.

Erick

Using right now:

Visconti Voyager 30 "M" nib running Birmingham Streetcar

Jinhao 9019 "EF" nib running Birmingham Railroad Spike

Stipula Adagio "F" nib running Birmingham Violet Sea Snail

Pelikan M1000 "F" nib running Birmingham Sugar Kelp

I am surprised at the many recommedations for an inexpensive pen. Makes perfect since a child, but if someone write, the transition to fountain is easy. It's not like you have grow into a better product. :thumbup:

Considering the high praise for better pens, why not provide a new user with as good as the OP wants to afford. If the Lamy Safari is all a new user needs, it all a seasoned one needs. It is just something to use to write. This might be the only FP the one receiving the gift will ever need.

And, it is a gift. Once given, its theirs to do as they please. It's not as if it's going to diminish the global supply. :)

I am surprised at the many recommedations for an inexpensive pen. Makes perfect since a child, but if someone write, the transition to fountain is easy. It's not like you have grow into a better product. :thumbup:

Having explained how to hold and use an fountain pen to an adult non user, and watch them immediately damage a nib, I would disagree with you.

Edited by Karmachanic

Add lightness and simplicate.

I've given several pens to children, adolescents, and adults, not one problem to date.

Having explained how to hold and use an fountain pen to an adult non user, and watch them immediately damage a nib, I would disagree with you.

Perhaps something with a replaceable nib might be the way to go, now that you've raised that? A Pelikan 150 or 200 would be under budget and if shalitha is buying a fountain pen as a gift for a friend, it's a lot more classic looking than some of the other suggestions. It looks like a fountain pen, which might be part of the point.

As nobody has mentioned any Cross pens yet, can I just add that the ATX is a nice looking, solid and unfussy pen that's unlikely to cause any problems for a first time user?