The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Parker 51, gold barrel

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Werpon

Werpon

Pens R Us!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 14:35

Hi,

A few weeks ago, an aunt of mine found this Parker 51 in a drawer, in her basement. I'd say it has been there for the past 20 (30?) years... And now I've 'borrowed' it. cool.gif

It seems to be a Parker 51 with a gold or gold-filled barrel and cap. On the cap, it reads "1/10 12 ct. R. GOLD" and, below, "MADE IN ENGLAND".

It had been stored inked, so I had to flush it 30 times or so. And it still had gunk in the nib, so I cleaned it with a fine razor blade (and extra care) and now it's smoooth as silk. And it never skips!

Handling is very good, it's not nearly as heavy as I expected the first time I saw it. I'm not posting it for fear that I'll scratch it.

I'm afraid I haven't tested enough pens to rate this one, but I can attest that it writes much better than a Bic ballpen. roflmho.gif

And it's incredibly beautiful. I wish I had a better camera, because this pic doesn't do it justice.

Attached Images

• cimg4412.jpg

Sponsored Content

#2 Shelley

Shelley

iPen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 20:07

Im not a big fan of rose gold - but that is an excellant find, take care of it and keep it, what ink do you use in it, if you go for red I can reccomend skrip as it woks well in my maroon P51, I take it that thats an aeromatic model?
Lamy 2000-Lamy Vista-Visconti Van Gogh Maxi Tortoise Demonstrator-Pilot Vanishing Point Black Carbonesque-1947 Parker 51 Vacumatic Cedar Blue Double Jewel-Aurora Optima Black Chrome Cursive Italic-Waterman Hemisphere Metallic Blue-Sheaffer Targa-Conway Stewart CS475

#3 OldGriz

OldGriz

I Assimilated The Borg

• Remembered Fondly
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,163 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 July 2007 - 20:15

QUOTE(Shelley @ Jul 4 2007, 04:07 PM) View Post
Im not a big fan of rose gold - but that is an excellant find, take care of it and keep it, what ink do you use in it, if you go for red I can reccomend skrip as it woks well in my maroon P51, I take it that thats an aeromatic model?

Th pen is not rose gold.... none of the "51"s were made in rose gold, just plain old normal gold... The R Gold stands for Rolled Gold
TomPosted Image
A veteran is someone who wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'
That is Honor, and there are way too many people in This country who no longer understand it.

#4 Werpon

Werpon

Pens R Us!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 21:01

Yep, it isn't rose gold. I use Waterman Florida Blue because it flows really well in this pen...

#5 Blatherscribe

Blatherscribe

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,521 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 21:34

Beautiful pen. Congratulations on the find! smile.gif

#6 George

George

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 22:01

Now you need to buy some more pens smile.gif

#7 MYU

MYU

... The key to it all is Capillary Action! ...

• Member - Gold

• 5,647 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 July 2007 - 16:33

Pardon my lack of Parker 51 knowledge, but is this pen a vacumatic filler? I noticed what appears to be a seam for a blind cap. I thought that the Parker 51 signet/insignia pens were all aerometric.

[MYU's Pen Review Corner]   |   "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

#8 Werpon

Werpon

Pens R Us!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 19:28

It's an aerometric filler, but it does have a slight mark there. It could probably be attributed to posting... if my aunt had ever used it. But it had been inked, so probably someone used it.

#9 MYU

MYU

... The key to it all is Capillary Action! ...

• Member - Gold

• 5,647 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 July 2007 - 19:50

QUOTE(Werpon @ Jul 5 2007, 03:28 PM) View Post
It's an aerometric filler, but it does have a slight mark there. It could probably be attributed to posting... if my aunt had ever used it. But it had been inked, so probably someone used it.

That certainly explains it, because for a blind cap it looks too short. You might be able to clean that up with a good polishing. Congrats on that find--truly a beauty to write with for your lifetime. smile.gif

[MYU's Pen Review Corner]   |   "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

Sponsored Content

|