Can The Ink Flow Be Adjusted In Parker 75,s?

Boston Brian

Love my 75 but both pens are rather dry, and I want a wet, generous ink flow. Can the flow be increased easily?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Boston Brian

• pajaro

• Newton Pens

• OCArt

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I also find them dry, even with known 'wet' inks.

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

The 75 ink flow can only be helped by a thorough clean ideally with a USC, I expect that you have already flushed the pen several times.

The pen can be ruined by a careless removal of the nib, it is possible and ome 75 nibs are extremely tight, others are fitted with an adhesive which can be softened under heat but care is needed, personally I would leave well alone.

Wanting a very wet writing pen is a new thing, back in the heyday of the 75 when a pen was a practical tool people didnt want a full flow ink from their pen because they didnt want to wait around for the ink to dry before they turned the page, there was also an issue for left handers. Therefore the flow on the 75 and many other pens of the period was just right with the ink staying wet for only a second after it has left the nib.

Just flush the pen thoroughly and use a Parker washable blue which I find is very good at finding the dried up bits of ink that the flushing may have missed.

Edited by Parkette

Yeah but like Parkette mentioned it's hard to get the nib off the feed. I did it on mine and made a barely writer quite nice. Not gushing wet, but ink actually hits the page now. I don't know if preference of the people has gone from wet to dry to wet to dry over the last century (cause I've had some nice wet writing vintage pens) so pen makers adjusted according to the fashion of the day, but I want a pen that writes how I want it to write, not how the factory thinks it should write. :) But I'll never take another 75 nib off the feed again. X)

We Give Away Scholarships! - Support High School Students Going to College

I have 12 of these pens.....some of the nibs are a lot wetter than others. My favorite is an earlier BOLD nib (marked on the back with "67"). This one is by far the wettest and the most pleasant one of the lot.

I thought most nibs could be opened up some.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

75’s can be frustrating pens to tune up.

1. thorough cleaning. Is essential preferably with a ultrasonic bath.
  2. if the pen was left sitting and allowed to dry out, the nib might need to be removed from feed
  3. Standard tine spreading techniques will work. (Lots of YouTube vids) be careful and patient.
  4. Try different inks to find the one with the best flow in your pen.
  5. Squeeze type fillers seems to pump most ink to nib, then standard converters, last Cartridges.
  6. Fortunately there are still parts available, but they are going up in price.

That’s about it, there is not much more to the pens. Good luck, take your time and you will end up with a very nice writer.

Since there are so many 75 pens and presumably users, it might be worthwhile to exchange it, someone might appreciate a dry pen if that means good flow and light coloured inks.

With other gold nibs I've managed to gently press on the tines to get a wetter nib, don't know how the 75 would react to that, given my terrible track record with messing nibs I would do that only as a last resort, but you might be less clumsy.

For what it's worth my two 75 bought used produce medium hues currently with Souten and Hisoku, with perfect flow.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

I wonder how different converters actually affect ink flow, I mean what are the mechanics?

[much snipped...]

1. Squeeze type fillers seems to pump most ink to nib, then standard converters, last Cartridges.
  2. [more snipped]

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

Thanks everyone for your helpful suggestions and as expected I have flushed them through with Monteverde pen flush, going to try Goulet pen flush now and see if that makes any difference?

I bought a fine to replace the broken extra fine. I had considered a medium. The fine is on its way from Five Star Pens.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

The early production thin feed P75 has a finned collector, glued inside the section, as that of the P51. So it needs as intense cleaning as a P51 needs.

IMG_20200410_101027.jpg

Edited by mitto

Khan M. Ilyas

In a related post to this thread, I have a question about the band around the end of the barrel on 75s (some of them have a 0 at one of the tick-marks). This is supposedly to do some sort of flow adjustments, I think, but I don't know how they are supposed to work.

This thread came up in a timely fashion for me, because I now have a later model 75 (not a flat top) coming in the mail, thanks to a fortuitous eBay bid on a listing nobody else was apparently watching but me. I'll have to double check the photos in the listing to see whether it has one of these style bands or not. Pen is supposed to have a B nib (which sounds good after what some of the earlier comments have been about how 75s can be dry writers).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

In a related post to this thread, I have a question about the band around the end of the barrel on 75s (some of them have a 0 at one of the tick-marks). This is supposedly to do some sort of flow adjustments, I think, but I don't know how they are supposed to work.

As far as I understand, and I now have two 75, you can rotate the nib / feed unit inside the section to find the sweet spot, given the triangular section, it's not about flow. I just use tissue paper but there's even a special tool to rotate these nibs.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

Thanks. I knew it was something different from most other pens, but didn't remember what.

Well, I just got the notification from eBay with the tracking info, and then a PM from the seller, and I should have the pen by Monday night. :D

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Parker sent a plastic adjustment tool that went over the nib (it had a hole shaped like a tombstone) that you could use to rotate the nib to your liking.

I have one somewhere.