The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Nib Info Needed

champion wearever

3 replies to this topic

#1 WLSpec

WLSpec

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 April 2020 - 00:35

I just received two nibs from someone who knows I like pens. The nibs were straight out of a box from the '40s (has been opened since, but still exciting). I was excited to hear about them, and I want to know more! One is a Wearever nib, a company I am very familiar with, but I would like to know if anyone has any more info about the nib (reads WEAREVER and underneath: "4". (Nib on the right). The nib on the left reads "champion" and underneath "14k"and "plated". I am not familiar with a "champion" company. The nib needs repair, but it seems like it is in fairly good condition. 

Thanks for any help. 

Attached Images

• IMG_3271.jpg

Edited by WLSpec, 03 April 2020 - 00:44.

Sponsored Content

#2 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Pen Dust

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,622 posts

Posted 13 April 2020 - 18:33

#4 would be a nib size....medium-small to medium. Not all Wear Ever pens nibs were poor....they were not of course the best.

I once had four good quality Wearever pre war and four post war pens. Wearever had a couple models of second tier pens; besides their more known third and 4th tier pens.

We once had a member, who fell ill and had to sell for a nickle on a dollar the worlds greatest collection of Wearevr pens.  His blog had been quite informatic.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson, 13 April 2020 - 18:36.

German vintage '50-70 semi-flex stubs and those in oblique give the real thing in On Demand line variation. Modern Oblique is a waste of money for a shadow of line variation. Being too lazy to Hunt for affordable vintage oblique pens, lets you 'hunt' for line variation instead of having it.

www.nibs.com/blog/nibster-writes/nibs-germany & https://www.peter-bo...cts/nib-systems,

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

#3 WLSpec

WLSpec

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 April 2020 - 21:19

#4 would be a nib size....medium-small to medium. Not all Wear Ever pens nibs were poor....they were not of course the best.

I once had four good quality Wearever pre war and four post war pens. Wearever had a couple models of second tier pens; besides their more known third and 4th tier pens.

We once had a member, who fell ill and had to sell for a nickle on a dollar the worlds greatest collection of Wearevr pens.  His blog had been quite informatic.

Thank you Bo Bo. As one of the most knowledgeable nib people here, do you have any info on the "Champion" company (nib on the left)? I had heard they they are some third tier co, but can't find any more info

#4 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Pen Dust

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,622 posts

Posted 18 April 2020 - 21:02

Thanks but I only have a thimble's worth of knowledge. I never got around to buying that expensive book on nib geometry.

Wearever was once the largest pen factory in the world.....making much of the 3rd & 4th tier pens for other companies. Companies I think like Arnold were also ordered from Wearever....Could be Champion was too.

Champion....rings a real faint bell....NY use to make a lot of pens. But not being in the states didn't pay any attention.

The only suggestion I can make is to put Champion in the search section.

The Champion looks more like a regular flex nib, the Wearever more a nail/semi-nail? Is it so?

Nail 1 X max no tine spread.

Semi-nail, can be mashed out to 2 X a light down stroke.

Regular flex can be mashed out to 3 X a light down stroke.

German vintage '50-70 semi-flex stubs and those in oblique give the real thing in On Demand line variation. Modern Oblique is a waste of money for a shadow of line variation. Being too lazy to Hunt for affordable vintage oblique pens, lets you 'hunt' for line variation instead of having it.

www.nibs.com/blog/nibster-writes/nibs-germany & https://www.peter-bo...cts/nib-systems,

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: champion, wearever

Sponsored Content

|