The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

How To Properly Store Iron Gall Ink?

iron gall ink storage

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 tinta

tinta

otthon vagyok

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,921 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 April 2020 - 22:09

My former post (#20) may have veered off a bit from the original thread's topic, but it's still related.  This bottle of Akkerman #10 Ijzer-Galnoten blauw/zwart ink had gone bad, with heavy black staining in both the ink reservoir & the filling chamber.  After the cleaning steps I described in the previous post, the totally clean bottle is used to dispense my pen flushing solution. 

[attachment=489212:pfb-1.jpg]

As to how to properly store Iron-Gall ink:   -- keep it in a cool dark place

-- inspect the ink frequently

-- try to use up the iron gall ink as soon as possible (my rule is about three years tops).

That said , I still have an 8+ yr. old MB Midnight Blue that I'm loath to part with.  It's still OK

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14c. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14c. H-B "M" BLS (PB) *2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14c. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 1.1 mm. CI (JM) *Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14c. (factory) "H-B" *Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14c.,-0.6 mm BLS, (PB) *Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14c "M" -0.4 mm.BLS, (PB)

Sponsored Content

#22 SchaumburgSwan

SchaumburgSwan

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 437 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 April 2020 - 02:30

As to how to properly store Iron-Gall ink:   -- keep it in a cool dark place

-- inspect the ink frequently

-- try to use up the iron gall ink as soon as possible (my rule is about three years tops).

Hi,

right,

and keep oxygen away by filling the ink into a glass bottle, if it came in a plastic one.

If you want to go for perfection, fill the air space with protective gas (butane, e.g. Tetenal Protectan), like it is done with developers in silver based photography.

Best

Jens

.....................................................................................................

https://www.flickr.c...5166@N02/albums

#23 XYZZY

XYZZY

Vintage

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 April 2020 - 03:50

Hi,

right,

and keep oxygen away by filling the ink into a glass bottle, if it came in a plastic one.

If you want to go for perfection, fill the air space with protective gas (butane, e.g. Tetenal Protectan), like it is done with developers in silver based photography.

Best

Jens

I had no idea that I could use butane for that.  Thanks Jens!  I learned something new today.  

#24 Tasmith

Tasmith

Uff Da!

• Member - Gold

• 1,697 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 April 2020 - 12:26

Hi,

right,

Best

Jens

How do you get the butane in the ink bottle?

#25 SchaumburgSwan

SchaumburgSwan

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 437 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 April 2020 - 18:11

How do you get the butane in the ink bottle?

Hi,

you just press a button and the butane streams through a plastic tube whereever you want it.

I have this one:

https://www.fotoimpe...pers-400ml.html

The data sheet says it's a mix of butane, propane and iso-butane.

Best

Jens

.....................................................................................................

https://www.flickr.c...5166@N02/albums

#26 BaronWulfraed

BaronWulfraed

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,892 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 April 2020 - 18:18

Or one could carefully just trigger (don't ignite it) a butane lighter, holding the burner end over the bottle.

Butane is heavier than plain air, so should settle into the bottle.

#27 Tasmith

Tasmith

Uff Da!

• Member - Gold

• 1,697 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 April 2020 - 19:54

Hi,

you just press a button and the butane streams through a plastic tube whereever you want it.

I have this one:

https://www.fotoimpe...pers-400ml.html

The data sheet says it's a mix of butane, propane and iso-butane.

Best

Jens

Thanks!

#28 Tasmith

Tasmith

Uff Da!

• Member - Gold

• 1,697 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 April 2020 - 19:54

Or one could carefully just trigger (don't ignite it) a butane lighter, holding the burner end over the bottle.

Butane is heavier than plain air, so should settle into the bottle.

Good to know!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: iron gall, ink, storage

Sponsored Content

|