The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Esterbrook Cartridges

ink cartridge piston filler

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 bonnie-scott

bonnie-scott

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 April 2020 - 17:47

Hi,

I have just acquired an Esterbrook in a job lot of old pens and would like to bring it into use.  It currently has an empty old Esterbrook cartridge fitted.  Can anyone advise what cartridges will fit?  It is much longer than the 'common' cartridges you see around.  Also from an environmental perspective is there a filler e.g. pistion filler I can use?

Not sure what model, but if I can work out how I will post a picture in this part of the forum.  Just been looking at Esterbrook.net and think it is a CX-100 model with a red barrel :-)

Many thanks,

Julian

Edited by bonnie-scott, 01 April 2020 - 17:59.

Sponsored Content

#2 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

Brain freeze, mmm... got pens?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,268 posts

Posted 02 April 2020 - 08:31

Just refill the cartridge you have. No one makes a cartridge for these. Esterbrook did make a squeeze type converter but they are harder to find than an empty cartridge.
San Francisco International Pen Show - They have dates! August 23-24-25, 2019 AND August 28-29-30, 2020. Book your travel and tables now! My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

#3 bonnie-scott

bonnie-scott

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 April 2020 - 11:23

Hi Farm Boy,

many thanks for the reply.  Once it's finished soaking I will give that a go.

Cheers,

Julian

#4 BamaPen

BamaPen

Learning from y'all

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,062 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 April 2020 - 17:01

I have not tried this myself, so take it with a grain of salt, but I am told that you can use a Sheaffer cartridge in these Esterbrooks, although you may have to carefully pierce the cartridge before inserting it in the pen.

I have one of these pens, so I suppose I should try this trick before I report it again!!

As FarmBoy says, though, you can refill the cartridge with a syringe and reuse it.

#5 bonnie-scott

bonnie-scott

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 April 2020 - 23:05

Hi BamaPen,

I might just get a [ack of Sheaffer cartridges and compare them with the one I have,  Worth a shot but won't try fitting unless they are a really close match.

Cheers

Julian

#6 gweimer1

gweimer1

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,477 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 April 2020 - 16:58

I have not tried this myself, so take it with a grain of salt, but I am told that you can use a Sheaffer cartridge in these Esterbrooks, although you may have to carefully pierce the cartridge before inserting it in the pen.

I have one of these pens, so I suppose I should try this trick before I report it again!!

As FarmBoy says, though, you can refill the cartridge with a syringe and reuse it.

So, I have a few CA101 pens lying around, and a bag full of old Sheaffer cartridges.  I decided to give it a try.

Remember that the original Esterbrook cartridges were either the paired, tapered set that fit back-to-back in the barrel, or the longer one, with the extension on the back end.   One of the keys to getting things to work is making sure that the cartridge stays somewhat snug in the barrel.

That said, the Sheaffer cartridge will work, but there are a couple things to note:

1. I used a 1/8" drill bit to open the cartridge, and then an X-Acto knife to trim the hole.   You want to be careful about the plastic you trim away.

2. I made a 7/8" spacer to put at the end of the barrel to keep the cartridge snug.

fpn_1586105670__esterbrook_ca101_blue_15

#7 BaronWulfraed

BaronWulfraed

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,887 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 April 2020 - 17:51

So, I have a few CA101 pens lying around, and a bag full of old Sheaffer cartridges.  I decided to give it a try.

Remember that the original Esterbrook cartridges were either the paired, tapered set that fit back-to-back in the barrel, or the longer one, with the extension on the back end.   One of the keys to getting things to work is making sure that the cartridge stays somewhat snug in the barrel.

That said, the Sheaffer cartridge will work, but there are a couple things to note:

1. I used a 1/8" drill bit to open the cartridge, and then an X-Acto knife to trim the hole.   You want to be careful about the plastic you trim away.

2. I made a 7/8" spacer to put at the end of the barrel to keep the cartridge snug.

Modern production Sheaffer cartridges might not work -- they have hard plastic ends, one of which has a plastic ball sealing it, rather than relying upon the nipple to cut a hole in the end (the other end even has an indentation that allows one to carry an unpunctured cartridge in the pen).

#8 gweimer1

gweimer1

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,477 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 April 2020 - 18:13

Good info.   It's good that I have a bag full of old ones.  The key, then, is to find any cartridge that can be adapted to the Esterbrook nipple, and compensate for barrel length.

There are variations of the CA101 that have a recessed feed, and I have been able to use a Pilot 50(?) converter in those.

#9 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

Brain freeze, mmm... got pens?

• Member - Gold

• 10,268 posts

Posted 05 April 2020 - 18:40

Good info.   It's good that I have a bag full of old ones.  The key, then, is to find any cartridge that can be adapted to the Esterbrook nipple, and compensate for barrel length.

There are variations of the CA101 that have a recessed feed, and I have been able to use a Pilot 50(?) converter in those.

I can imagine you would have 6 shoeboxes full of empty cartridges by now...
San Francisco International Pen Show - They have dates! August 23-24-25, 2019 AND August 28-29-30, 2020. Book your travel and tables now! My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

#10 gweimer1

gweimer1

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,477 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 April 2020 - 19:46

I have a small handful of actual Esterbrook cartridges, but I got some of the leftovers from the Jack Price auction.   I have a tote full of Sheaffer cartridges, and assorted ballpoint and rollerball refills.

#11 bonnie-scott

bonnie-scott

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 April 2020 - 21:35

Hi gweimer1,

thanks for posting the pictures and providing the description.  Have I understood right, that the cartridge needs to have a 1/8" hole for the feed?.. Length wise I can simply measure from the existing esterbrook cartridge when it is properly seated but I didn't know what size/shape the hole for the feed needed to be and with only 1 old cartridge I didn't want to risk damage trying to work it out.

many thanks again,

Julian

#12 gweimer1

gweimer1

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,477 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 April 2020 - 22:24

Yes, I used a  1/8" drill bit to open the old Sheaffer cartridge.  If you have a used one that is already open, you might try seeing if you can get it on the Esterbrook nipple first.

#13 Sailor Kenshin

Sailor Kenshin

Heart of sword

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,288 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 April 2020 - 00:17

Cool. How did you make the spacer?

#14 gweimer1

gweimer1

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,477 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 April 2020 - 00:24

The spacer is cut from a length of Berol eraser stock that I found at a local office supply store.

#15 Sailor Kenshin

Sailor Kenshin

Heart of sword

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,288 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 April 2020 - 00:26

The spacer is cut from a length of Berol eraser stock that I found at a local office supply store.

Thanks!

Cool-looking pen, too.

#16 essayfaire

essayfaire

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 April 2020 - 18:45

I've been refilling the old Esterbrook cartridge, but for some reason, it starts to leak as they approach emptiness.  I've been on the hunt for a converter that will work.  I think I have a CON-50 here somewhere (though they may all be in pens). If I am successful with a CON-50 I will let everyone know.

Festina lente

#17 essayfaire

essayfaire

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 June 2020 - 20:46

Just refill the cartridge you have. No one makes a cartridge for these. Esterbrook did make a squeeze type converter but they are harder to find than an empty cartridge.

I have been doing just that, and it has been working well, but now I fear I must have done something that damaged the cartridge as the ink first was leaking, and then after a good cleaning and a bit of silicon grease no longer seems to be flowing well.  I enjoyed writing with this pen very much and am a bit flummoxed as to what to try next.

Festina lente

#18 5thhistorian

5thhistorian

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 July 2020 - 13:29

I read somewhere that Platinum converters fit the CA101 perfectly, and indeed that proved to be the case when I tried it.

#19 Gloucesterman

Gloucesterman

Transformation Coach

• Member - Gold

• 2,346 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 July 2020 - 18:50

Well, this thread definitely proves that "old saying" - "All of us are smarter than any of us!"

Thanks to all for the information. I don't have one of these (yet?) and who knows?

Best to all and stay safe & well.

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

#20 pajaro

pajaro

Amblin along like I had good sense.

• Member - Gold

• 13,089 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 July 2020 - 23:56

I imagine this same technique will work on a Phaeton.  I will prepare the spacer.  When the squeeze converter goes south on my Phaeton, the scores of Sheaffer cartridges mined from estate sales will have more use. 

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

They took the blue from the skies and the pretty girls' eyes and a touch of Old Glory too . . .

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ink, cartridge, piston filler

Sponsored Content

|