No International Mail From Japan

mke

Well, I have been planning to get one pen. And I will. Regardless the waiting. A month or two, half a year, whatever - anything is possible.

Seeking a Parker Duofold Centennial cap top medallion/cover/decal.
My Mosaic Black Centennial MK2 lost it (used to have silver color decal).

Preferably MK2. MK3 or MK1 is also OK as long as it fits.  
Preferably EU.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mke

• Tseg

• stan

• KingsCountyWriter

Top Posters In This Topic

I have an Ems order that has been saying it was dispatched from the Osaka outward office of exchange since the 27th. Actually I was told it was EMS but the website is JP post Registered mail. In any case no updates from them or USPS for a week. USPS hasn't shown they have received anything so it feels like it hasn't hit US customs yet.

From mks's post above: Therefore, acceptance of international mail items, mainly EMS and parcel-post/letter-post items by air and SAL, will be temporarily suspended from April 2."

From this I infer that items in the system prior to Apr 2 will go forward, allbeit slower than usual.

Add lightness and simplicate.

I ordered a Curidas last Friday from Japan via eBay and havent had any shipping notification yet.

Im also waiting for a pen from Schon DSGN - it got as far as New York last Friday but since then nothing.

Perhaps it was unwise to order from abroad at the moment but pen sellers need support and I wanted a bit of cheer. Oh well, as long as they dont get lost amid the backlog I can wait.

My order from Japan has just been cancelled and refunded as the seller couldn’t get stock for two months.

I chose my user name years ago - I have no links to BBS pens (other than owning one!)

My package arrived today. No problem. Took one additional day to get through Customs though.

This is going got be case by case. Timing. Specific country. Where in that country - international comes to America several places. Available flights. Available space on flights. Larger commercial or mailings or mailings of essential goods will have priority. How much you pay for shipping. Lots of factors.

I have another package coming in about a month. We will see.

stan

Formerly Ryojusen Pens
The oldest and largest buyer and seller of vintage Japanese pens in America.

Member: Pen Collectors of America & Fuente, THE Japanese Pen Collectors Club

From mks's post above: Therefore, acceptance of international mail items, mainly EMS and parcel-post/letter-post items by air and SAL, will be temporarily suspended from April 2."

From this I infer that items in the system prior to Apr 2 will go forward, allbeit slower than usual.

SAL is stopped fully to ALL countries.

EMS and airmail is stopped to MANY countries, the list of countries which are not served from Japan is detailed in the pdf file here: https://www.post.japanpost.jp/int/information/2020/0401_02_01_en.pdf

Other countries are still served but it is probably slower than usual: Germany, US, ...

Fedex is still running everywhere but wants a surcharge from Monday: https://www.fedex.com/en-us/shipping/current-rates.html

Everyone,

Thank you for the updates, and first hand information. I think it was hit or miss previously, but now it seems that there is a distinct lack of capacity for EMS/Japan Post International, and they are not able to give any specifics. For those of you with packages in "limbo" you might want to try tracking from the Japan Post site here:

https://www.post.japanpost.jp/index_en.html

This will give you information about the status and if the package is moving or hung up.

Regards

For sure it is taking longer than usual to the States. I had an EMS package go silent at the Hyogo post office for a week after acceptance, then was shipped, disappeared again for 5 days, then showed up in NY.

This was my March experience.

It used to take 1-3 days from the same post office just a month earlier; but it is moving, just at a snail's pace to what it was.

Hope this was helpful.

The eBay seller let me know the package was out to ship March 27. eBay tracking shows no movement, but they arent always right.

Im happy to wait, so long as I do get the items. I missed out on them from US sellers.

The estimated delivery is April 30th.

Edited by Misfit
Posted Image

Not cool. Good to see that my little country is not on the list, but it should stay that way...I expect a package next month too...Social Distancing is one thing, but not receiving one's pens/inks/paper is a burden too heavy to carry...

On the bright side, this might bring down some prices on Yahoo Japan. Or, some sellers might to decide to hold off selling until this is over.,

I actually got a bottle of pilot Ink for 21 dollars cad instead of the 25 dollars I pay locally.

Adding to the post, a purchased a pen from Japan on March 29th, and it was listed on JPost on the 30th. JapanPost's info on their site states the item's status as "Arrival @ outward office of exchange" and USPS says it was processed through a facility in Osaka on April 1st and is "in transit". The message on the USPS site is an update from a few days ago, when it said it was awaiting info.

It's coming, I can smell it!

Adding to the post, a purchased a pen from Japan on March 29th, and it was listed on JPost on the 30th. JapanPost's info on their site states the item's status as "Arrival @ outward office of exchange" and USPS says it was processed through a facility in Osaka on April 1st and is "in transit". The message on the USPS site is an update from a few days ago, when it said it was awaiting info.

It's coming, I can smell it!

I just had the same message from USPS after it seemed to get stuck on the 27th. Seems like they finally got a plane loaded...

A reputable seller in Japan has said to me that it will take 20-30 business days (or more) JP to US, which is the estimate EMS gave him on the 7th of April.

Edited by Sashku

I just communicated with my Japanese seller about 2.5 weeks after the purchase and they said they expect my pen to depart Japan "in several weeks".

These seller informations with an exact number of days are certainly not correct because the post officers themselves do not know how long it takes for a parcel to depart.

That is what I have been told by one of the superiors here at our main post office. They said the situation changes daily and is too new that they could say "statistically, it will take ...".

They also stated, "we are very sorry but it may take a looonnnnng time".

So, I guess, someone just invented a number to keep the customers from asking daily.

Edited by mke

Yeah that makes the most sense. The situation is such that, as you said, no one actually knows when one or another package will find a place on a plane to begin making its journey towards its posted destination.

After my original post and reading of others experiences I discovered my associate in Japan takes my packages directly to Narita Airport for posting. She lives in Chiba so not such a big deal. I'm sure this expedites shipment.

stan

Formerly Ryojusen Pens
The oldest and largest buyer and seller of vintage Japanese pens in America.

Member: Pen Collectors of America & Fuente, THE Japanese Pen Collectors Club