Efnir: Waterman Mysterious Blue

LizEF

Extra Fine Nib Ink Review: Waterman Mysterious Blue

(Decided to do all my Waterman inks first; this is the last of them.) This is review #4 in my series, with 100+ to go... Here's the YouTube video:

And here is a screen of the final result, for those not interested in the video:

large.WatermanMysteriousBlue.jpg.3505eb5bcc7204b8b7e980fd5224fbd9.jpg

Scan of Completed Review:
large.WatermanMysteriousBlueS.jpg.b59abd0ce2e2beefe4fa094a043020d9.jpg

NOTE: See the video for the pale/dark comparison mentioned in the text.

Previous Review: Waterman Harmonious Green.

Want to influence the inky sequence? Take the "next ink" poll.

Hope you enjoy. Comments appreciated!

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LizEF

• dhanks

• Olya

• Intensity

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

neat!

thank you for posting this

Just give me the Parker 51s and nobody needs to get hurt.

Extra Fine Nib Ink Review: Waterman Mysterious Blue

(Decided to do all my Waterman inks first; this is the last of them.) This is review #4 in my series, with 100+ to go... Here's the YouTube video:

https://youtu.be/IYvejKGnAvk

And here is a screen of the final result, for those not interested in the video:

http://www.paradoxcommunity.com/vps/EFNIR/WatermanMysteriousBlue.jpg

NOTE: See the video for the pale/dark comparison mentioned in the text.

Previous Review: Waterman Harmonious Green.

Want to influence the inky sequence? Take the "next ink" poll.

Hope you enjoy. Comments appreciated!

Does it change to a teal-like color after a few days? My complaint about Waterman Mysterious Blue is that I like the initial color when it hits the paper but I strongly dislike the teal color it changes to after a day or days. Perhaps (one can hope) Waterman changed its formula for this ink and it actually stays blue rather than teal or almost outright green?

Rumpole

Does it change to a teal-like color after a few days? My complaint about Waterman Mysterious Blue is that I like the initial color when it hits the paper but I strongly dislike the teal color it changes to after a day or days. Perhaps (one can hope) Waterman changed its formula for this ink and it actually stays blue rather than teal or almost outright green?

Rumpole

I know WMB has a reputation for changing color, but it never changed to teal / green for me in either pen, and I had the Penmanship inked for nearly a month, the Kultur was inked a little longer. And the writing on the paper has not changed color - I recorded that review on 20 February 2020, and the paper today still looks the same as in the review - both the lighter and darker shades.

I don't know whether they changed the formula. I have cartridges purchased 04 July 2018. I wouldn't think the formulation is any different from bottles, but I wouldn't know.

I know WMB has a reputation for changing color, but it never changed to teal / green for me in either pen, and I had the Penmanship inked for nearly a month, the Kultur was inked a little longer. And the writing on the paper has not changed color - I recorded that review on 20 February 2020, and the paper today still looks the same as in the review - both the lighter and darker shades.

I don't know whether they changed the formula. I have cartridges purchased 04 July 2018. I wouldn't think the formulation is any different from bottles, but I wouldn't know.

Very interesting. Thank you. I may have to give it another try. And I would ask that we hear from others who have used Waterman Mysterious Blue recently about their experiences with the dreaded color change issue. What say you folks?

Rumpole

In any of my pens WMB has run the gamut from dark teal blue to a blue-tinged green, depending on the pen and paper. I haven't tried it in anything with an EF nib, but it's my go-to ink for the Vacumatic Red Shadow Wave (which has an F nib, but which also, as a vintage pen, tends to run a little narrower a line).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

In any of my pens WMB has run the gamut from dark teal blue to a blue-tinged green, depending on the pen and paper. I haven't tried it in anything with an EF nib, but it's my go-to ink for the Vacumatic Red Shadow Wave (which has an F nib, but which also, as a vintage pen, tends to run a little narrower a line).

So, I broke out the 10x loupe and the pages from the video and I see no teal or green from either the Penmanship EF nib or the Kulture F nib. Further, the "Waterman Kulture, F, after 5 days" and "After 7 days" text from the Penmanship both have red sheen in places. :D

I have no idea whether the bottle is different from the cartridges - you'd think not as that would add cost, but who knows. I also have no idea whether age (of the ink before use - as in, did they reformulate, or something) has anything to do with it.

Don't know what that tells anyone. It seems like this ink really is Mysterious... B)

I bought a bottle of Mysterious Blue late last year, and my experience of it is similar to @LizEF's: I was *expecting* a teal undertone (in a wave of nostalgia, I decided I *wanted* an ink that reminded me of the Parker Blue-Black ick I grew up on and greatly disliked at the time), but found this to be a fairly standard dark blue. Don't know if it's just the pens I used, or whether the ink has been reformulated, but... it wasn't what I was expecting.

Thanks for the review. One of my favorite inks (I'm a blue-black fan)! I love the high-speed writing, too.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

Thank you! I'm not a fan of EF nibs but I'm a fan of inks!!

You're welcome! I've been in the "ooh, so many inks" stage of this hobby pretty much since I got my grail pen - couple of years ago now.

I bought a bottle of Mysterious Blue late last year, and my experience of it is similar to @LizEF's: I was *expecting* a teal undertone (in a wave of nostalgia, I decided I *wanted* an ink that reminded me of the Parker Blue-Black ick I grew up on and greatly disliked at the time), but found this to be a fairly standard dark blue. Don't know if it's just the pens I used, or whether the ink has been reformulated, but... it wasn't what I was expecting.

Apparently Parker changed the formula of its blue-black ink in the past couple years and it's now a nice dark blue without any teal or green. I've often read comments that Waterman and Parker inks are the same or at least made by the same manufacturer. If that is the case, then maybe the Waterman Mysterious Blue changed along with Parker blue-black. That's a possible explanation for the disappearance of the dreaded teal.

Rumpole

Edited by dhanks

That's interesting to know, thanks dhanks. I know there had been some discussions in the past that WMB might be the same as Quink Blue-Black, but I hadn't heard about the possible formulation change (I don't remember if I've broken into the new bottle of WMB yet, but I may have because of using it in that Vac a lot...).

When I first tried it (either the sample or the previous bottle), it really was variable as to what color it would be, and thought "Mysterious" was an apt name for it.

edited for typos

Edited by inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."