The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Nib Tipping Sizes... Sailor Vs Platinum Question

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 85AKbN

85AKbN

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 26 March 2020 - 06:20

I've found this spreadsheet of pen manufacturers and nib tipping sizes to be useful - especially if I have experiences writing with at least one of the two I'm comparing.

Guide To Nib Tipping Sizes [ nibs.com ]

A question: could you substitute Platinum with Sailor in your experience?  I just got a soft fine Platinum 3776 Century Bourgogne and wanted to compare it to another of the ones listed.

Sponsored Content

#2 KBeezie

KBeezie

Gerbil Charmer

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,716 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 March 2020 - 06:33

I've found this spreadsheet of pen manufacturers and nib tipping sizes to be useful - especially if I have experiences writing with at least one of the two I'm comparing.

Guide To Nib Tipping Sizes [ nibs.com ]

A question: could you substitute Platinum with Sailor in your experience?  I just got a soft fine Platinum 3776 Century Bourgogne and wanted to compare it to another of the ones listed.

Far as the fine tipping on Platinum Century 3776 (I had one with a soft fine before), it's comparable to the Fine nib on a Sailor (be it 14K or 21K), however Sailor does not currently make any 'soft' nibs (and not sure if they did since the 80s). 

The Platinum Soft fine is a little bouncy but doesn't have as much give as say the Pilot Soft Fine, or the FA nib, and has a bit more feedback than either. But initial line with a light hand is about the same. 

The biggest difference I would say between Platinum Soft Fine, and a Pilot (#5) SF, FA, and Sailor H-F, is the feedback (Sailor is closer to a hard pencil, Pilot leans a little softer). Also the wetness on the Pilot seems to be wetter (with Sailor especially on the 21K side feeling a bit wetter but not as wet as the Pilot).

#3 85AKbN

85AKbN

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 26 March 2020 - 08:59

Thank you!

Sponsored Content

|