The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

My New Urushi Pens...

nakaya platinum izumo

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Driften

Driften

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 March 2020 - 04:52

I got my Nakaya Piccolo Cigar in Aka-tamenuri Monday from Nibs.com and am really loving it. I'm happy I got it before they had to close business from the COVID-19 shelter-in-place order in California. In any case the pen came in the standard wood box you normally see from Nakaya with all of the same stuff. The other pen I got was Friday a Platinum Izumo in Soratame green. Both pens a B nibs. The president nib on the Platinum is wetter and puts down a slightly thicker line of the two. I got the Izumo from Cult pens and was a bargain compared to getting it from the states. 

I'm very happy to have bought both pens and they are both nice in my hand to write with. It does have me wanting more though! Now I want a Nakaya Piccolo Writer in Heki-tamenuri, and maybe a Nakaya Naka-Ai. I'm tempted but a Namiki Emperor #50, but balking at the size, but that section looks so comfortable. I don't think there is anything else that feels like Urushi over ebonite. Not sure I can stop at just two, but see having 50-100 like some of you guys ;) I'm currently at 81 pens as it is.

Nakaya-1.png

Nakaya-2.png

And for people that don't know the size of the Nakaya here it is with a Lamy Safari

Nakaya-3.png

For the eagle eyed... yes the Izumo has a small chip next to the clip. I fumbled it a day after getting it and dropped it on to my desk where it then bounced and hit a metal water bottle on the floor leaving the chip but no other damage. It doesn't affect anything and normally isn't noticeable. 

Sponsored Content

#2 zaddick

zaddick

BROADside Ambassador

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,984 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 March 2020 - 06:39

Do it! Do it! Do it! Buy more pens.

The nice thing for you is there are so many more affordable options now for urushi pens and urushi treatment of other pens. It is a great time to explore the variety available. Not too long ago there were choices from a few established players and prices were commensurately high. Now you can get custom work done for less then the cost of most of those old offerings.

I'm partial to Danitrio over Nakaya and Platinum. I think the urushi Platinum Izumos can be the best value in urushi production pens if bought used with some patience. Danitrio offers nibs with a nice softness and very large pens with lots of ink capacity in addition to the the C/C models. Namiki and Sailor are top quality but also quite pricey, but the nibs are excellent.

Anywho, welcome to the edge of the rabbit hole. Enjoy the fall...  :D

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

#3 Driften

Driften

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,958 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 March 2020 - 07:24

Do it! Do it! Do it! Buy more pens.

I'm partial to Danitrio over Nakaya and Platinum. I think the urushi Platinum Izumos can be the best value in urushi production pens if bought used with some patience. Danitrio offers nibs with a nice softness and very large pens with lots of ink capacity in addition to the the C/C models. Namiki and Sailor are top quality but also quite pricey, but the nibs are excellent.

Anywho, welcome to the edge of the rabbit hole. Enjoy the fall...  :D

I picked up the Izumo for $455 US shipped from cult pens... Almost makes me want to go back for the red one, but I like the shape of the sections better on the Nakaya's. Izumo has a lot going for it and I enjoy it. 

#4 zaddick

zaddick

BROADside Ambassador

• Member - Gold

• 5,984 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 March 2020 - 08:31

I picked up the Izumo for $455 US shipped from cult pens... Almost makes me want to go back for the red one, but I like the shape of the sections better on the Nakaya's. Izumo has a lot going for it and I enjoy it. 

With patience you can occasionally find one around $350 in urushi. I think they are a steal at that price for what you get. The thread placement is not for everyone though.

I do like the greater options with Nakaya in terms of nib widths, shapes, and finishes. The price new, not so much. 😀

#5 bbs

bbs

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,376 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 March 2020 - 12:51

What beauties! I bought a Izumi from Cult Pens a couple of years ago, but mine has the plastic section - yours is far nicer.

Just this morning I was browsing Nakayas and fantasising over which colour I’d get. Toki-tamenuri catches my eye ....

I chose my user name years ago - I have no links to BBS pens (other than owning one!)

#6 WLSpec

WLSpec

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,005 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 March 2020 - 13:05

Beautiful! Thanks for sharing

#7 whichwatch

whichwatch

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,470 posts

Posted 26 March 2020 - 14:30

Really great choices and two beautiful pens.  I hope you enjoy them a great deal.

I'll disagree with my friend "Zaddick" in that I greatly prefer Nakaya over Danitrio, but that may be the first time I have disagreed with him on anything.   :)   I certainly do agree that Platinum Izumos are terrific values and gorgeous pens, although for some reason they seem to be underappreciated in the aftermarket.  That makes them terrific buys when you find them pre-owned.  I love your Soratame!

I have an Izumo Yagumonuri but the object of my current affection is the Black Dragon shown below from a dealer website.  I'm waiting to find one of these pre-owned.

I suspect your two new urushis won't be your last.  Welcome to the swamp!

Black%2520Dragon.jpg

Edited by whichwatch, 26 March 2020 - 14:30.

#8 zaddick

zaddick

BROADside Ambassador

• Member - Gold

• 5,984 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 March 2020 - 20:19

This is one we do, indeed, disagree on whichwatch, but it is not a biter disagreement by any means. I have owned many Nakaya pens and they have their merits. You have many beautiful specimens worthy of admiration.

One of the reason I have personal fondness for Danitio, besides the nibs, is their willingness to give their artists a blank slate and let them express themselves in different ways. Here is a pen that just came to me recently from Danitrio. It's about 10 or 12 years old I think and is called Waterfalls.There are strips of raised eggshell running down the pen, and blue and beige urushi that was sprinkled with several sizes of platinum powder. It is an interesting way to represent the aspects of a real waterfall in nature. Certainly the design is not for everyone, but the tactile nature of the pen with the slightly raised ridges of shell coupled with the subtleties of the decoration make it a pleasure to hold in the hand and just look at it. I wish I saw more of this adventurous spirit in other makers. I do see it in some of the individuals who are now doing maki-e work on existing pens.

fpn_1585253370__20200326_125819_resized.

I don't have the Izumo Tiger in a Bamboo Forest one of the series. A very subtle design. Unfortunatley the one I purchased was stuck with an F nib.  :gaah:

#9 DonM

DonM

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 March 2020 - 20:52

I must say that the Danitrio reminds me of an iridescent jelly fish - a real beauty.  It is certainly one of the most unique pens I have ever seen.

#10 Driften

Driften

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,958 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 March 2020 - 23:57

The group had grown by one already. Whichwatch helped me reduce the overflow in my pen budget by one Nakaya Decapod in Aka Tamenuri with a soft B with a stub grind. It's a nice pen with a fun nib. 

NakayaDecapod-3.png

New group picture

NakayaDecapod-4.png

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nakaya, platinum izumo

Sponsored Content

|