The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Cracked Vac 700R Cap

cracked

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 stauffert

stauffert

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 26 March 2020 - 03:35

Unfortunately, my beloved Vac 700R has given up the ghost.  The cap has cracked where the metal ring is glued to the plastic.

Has anyone else seen this particular failure scenario before?  If so, did you replace the part or repair the crack in some way?

The view from the inside:

1CypgIa.jpg

The view from the outside:

Uw48b3G.jpg

Sponsored Content

#2 stauffert

stauffert

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 26 March 2020 - 03:54

I emailed the LA office for TWSBI and someone contacted me immediately to ask for my address to start the replacement process.  TWSBI has absolutely fantastic customer service.

#3 Fuzzy_Bear

Fuzzy_Bear

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 01:04

Mine did that on a 580. That's why I'm not buying anymore.
The glory of the young is their strength; the gray hair of experience is the splendor of the old.

#4 jchch1950

jchch1950

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 868 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 02:57

Replace the cap it may last longer than a repair. Twsbi has a good after sales service and you will have no problems. :)

#5 langere

langere

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,604 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 March 2020 - 03:44

Agree. Get a new cap.

Erick

Pelikan Souverän M 815 "F" nib running Pelikan Königsblau 

PENBBS 500 "F" nib running Iroshizuku Murasaki-Shikibu

Pilot Juliet "F" nib running Diamine Autumn Oak

#6 katerchen

katerchen

Slow and furious

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• 932 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 March 2020 - 04:02

This is pretty annoying that after all these years they *still* haven't figured out their material problems.

On a totally different note : Orange kitteh!

Attached Images

• say what now.jpg

#7 stauffert

stauffert

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 30 March 2020 - 15:13

$10 USD and the replacement cap is on the way. 

I think that there are two problems.  One is a design issue and the other one is a manufacturing issue.

The metal cap might be adding stress to the cap.  Certainly it adds nothing positive beyond aesthetics. It is pretty looking though.

The other issue is that the plastic is probably not being cooled slowly enough in the manufacturing process.  This could lead to stress fractures in the future.  

To continue the orange cat theme.  Here is my favourite photo of Gizmo (who is my icon):

gJPRtXG.jpg

He was 11 when I took the photo (over 10 years ago).

Edited by stauffert, 30 March 2020 - 15:14.

#8 NobleDel

NobleDel

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 April 2020 - 00:50

A couple of years ago my Vac 700 cap cracked in the exact same spot. At the time I was aware of this failure mode, so I didn't tighten the cap on the pen at all, and it STILL cracked. I put the pen away after I got the replacement cap. Looks like they continue to crack in the same spot. 

Edited by NobleDel, 01 April 2020 - 00:50.

#9 stauffert

stauffert

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 01 April 2020 - 01:20

A couple of years ago my Vac 700 cap cracked in the exact same spot. At the time I was aware of this failure mode, so I didn't tighten the cap on the pen at all, and it STILL cracked. I put the pen away after I got the replacement cap. Looks like they continue to crack in the same spot. 

I will probably do the same.  The replacement arrived today, but I have no plans to re-ink the pen right now.  It is unfortunate because I love the system that TWSBI created with the ink bottle that you can screw your pen into to simplify filling.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cracked

Sponsored Content

|