The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Best Yellow- And Green-Sheening Purple Inks (Vs. Diamine Winter Miracle)?

sheen purple ink

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Wistful-Ink

Wistful-Ink

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 March 2020 - 01:48

Winter Miracle was by far the standout for me from the Diamine Inkvent calendar, and now that they're going to be available in 50 mL bottles, I'm sorely tempted to buy a bottle. But I don't have many large ink bottles, and before I commit, I'd like to see if there are similar inks that are worth trying out first.

I don't care that much about the blue shimmer aspect of Winter Miracle, so mostly I'm looking for recommendations for your favorite deep purple inks with crazy yellow/green sheen and, if possible, how you think they compare to Diamine Inkvent's Winter Miracle.

From what I've seen online, PR Tanzanite and Waterman Tender Purple seem promising. I've tried a sample of Lamy Azurite and was fairly disappointed with the sheen. Only a little bit of sheen for a heavy swatch on Tomoe River paper, with pretty much no sheen on any of the other papers I tried. I'd love to hear your suggestions (and sample pics if you have any)!

Edited by Wistful-Ink, 25 March 2020 - 01:49.

Sponsored Content

#2 WLSpec

WLSpec

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,158 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 March 2020 - 01:53

Well, I don't own these but a quick search brings up multiple results for Cross Violet and Lamy Dark Lilac, Bung-Box sweet-potato purple, and Monteverde Amethyst. 

I do have Winter Miracle but I don't use it much (I don't like shimmer). 

Edited by WLSpec, 25 March 2020 - 01:56.

#3 Wistful-Ink

Wistful-Ink

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 March 2020 - 01:54

My comparison of Diamine Winter Miracle and Lamy Azurite.

Attached Images

• IMG_20200324_215524.jpg

Edited by Wistful-Ink, 25 March 2020 - 01:56.

#4 azbobcat

azbobcat

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 March 2020 - 06:51

I have Private Reserve's Tanzanite, and it is a TRUE purple ink... with Sheen NOT Shimmer. Not as much as Winter Miracle, which I'm not sure is a Shimmer Ink or a Sheening Ink. It is also judging from the picture far more PURPLE rather than BLUE than Lamy Azurite. Too it is a PURPLE Ink that looks like a PURPLE ink, not an ink where the Sheem/Shimmer obscures the Purple.

#5 Ememel

Ememel

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 March 2020 - 17:06

I have Private Reserve's Tanzanite, and it is a TRUE purple ink... with Sheen NOT Shimmer. Not as much as Winter Miracle, which I'm not sure is a Shimmer Ink or a Sheening Ink. It is also judging from the picture far more PURPLE rather than BLUE than Lamy Azurite. Too it is a PURPLE Ink that looks like a PURPLE ink, not an ink where the Sheem/Shimmer obscures the Purple.

I have Lamy Azurite, Diamine Bilberry, Diamine Purple Rain, Privat Reserve Tanzanite and Purple Mojo. I've pre-ordered Winter Miracle, but haven't got it yet. And yes, Winter Miracle has both sheen and shimmer, so the inks I'm mentioning will only get you so far.

- Azurite is very much like in the picture above. Pretty green sheen, but it's not a sheen monster when in a medium or fine nibbed pen.
- Diamine Bilberry blurple with a strong copper sheen
- Diamine Purple Rain - purple black with strong yellow sheen
- PR Tanzanite - blurple with copper sheen
- PR Purple Mojo - purple with lime green sheen

My sample of Tanzanite is actually bluer than Azurite. Both inks are in the blurple range, but where Diamine Bilberry is a blueish purple, I find that both Tanzanite and Azurite are purpleish blues. It's a fine line and I'm already double checking myself. My camera can't catch the differences in hues, at least not now the sun's down. PR Purple Mojo is a nice purple with green sheen, but the sheen hasn't so far been very prominent in writing (even on Tomoe River paper).

Edited by Ememel, 25 March 2020 - 17:14.

#6 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,563 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 March 2020 - 19:17

I love blurples. I'm wondering if we should start a Blurple Thread.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Want to get a special letter / gift from me, then create a Ghostly Avatar  

Ink comparisons:  The Great PPS Comparison  366 Inks in 2016

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Dark Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

#7 effrafax

effrafax

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 March 2020 - 01:10

Troublemaker's Doña Victorina has a very strong green sheen.  It's also very waterproof.

Cheers,
Effrafax.

"It is a well known and much lamented fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it"
Douglas Adams ("The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy - The Original Radio Scripts").

#8 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• 36,563 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 March 2020 - 10:12

Troublemaker's Doña Victorina has a very strong green sheen.  It's also very waterproof.

Do you have a link?

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Dark Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

#9 Ememel

Ememel

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 March 2020 - 20:56

Do you have a link?

https://www.mountain...-dona-victorina

Vinta Inks Harlequin looks very similar also. I haven't tried either.

#10 effrafax

effrafax

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 March 2020 - 01:34

Or from the source:

https://www.troublem...victorina-60-ml

Cheers,
Effrafax.

"It is a well known and much lamented fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it"
Douglas Adams ("The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy - The Original Radio Scripts").

#11 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• 36,563 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 March 2020 - 09:48

Thank you

donavictorina_1_09766264-b9f1-44d7-941a-

#12 Wistful-Ink

Wistful-Ink

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 March 2020 - 18:34

Thank you

donavictorina_1_09766264-b9f1-44d7-941a-

That is a gorgeous-looking ink. Troublemaker has a lot of inks I'd love to try out next time they release more inks. Though Dona Victorina does seem to come with a staining warning. 

Edited by Wistful-Ink, 29 March 2020 - 18:36.

#13 Wistful-Ink

Wistful-Ink

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 March 2020 - 18:42

I have Lamy Azurite, Diamine Bilberry, Diamine Purple Rain, Privat Reserve Tanzanite and Purple Mojo. I've pre-ordered Winter Miracle, but haven't got it yet. And yes, Winter Miracle has both sheen and shimmer, so the inks I'm mentioning will only get you so far.

- Azurite is very much like in the picture above. Pretty green sheen, but it's not a sheen monster when in a medium or fine nibbed pen.
- Diamine Bilberry blurple with a strong copper sheen
- Diamine Purple Rain - purple black with strong yellow sheen
- PR Tanzanite - blurple with copper sheen
- PR Purple Mojo - purple with lime green sheen

My sample of Tanzanite is actually bluer than Azurite. Both inks are in the blurple range, but where Diamine Bilberry is a blueish purple, I find that both Tanzanite and Azurite are purpleish blues. It's a fine line and I'm already double checking myself. My camera can't catch the differences in hues, at least not now the sun's down. PR Purple Mojo is a nice purple with green sheen, but the sheen hasn't so far been very prominent in writing (even on Tomoe River paper).

Thanks for that info! Definitely going to add Diamine Purple Rain to my list of inks to get a sample of.

I haven't used the Lamy Azurite in a stub nib pen yet, so maybe the sheen will show up more then. I tested some Diamine Bilberry a long time ago and didn't find it that interesting then, but maybe I should revisit it with different paper & pen combos. 

#14 Wistful-Ink

Wistful-Ink

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 March 2020 - 18:48

https://www.mountain...-dona-victorina

Vinta Inks Harlequin looks very similar also. I haven't tried either.

You're right, the Vinta Harlequin and TMKR Dona Victorina does look very similar from online reviews. Adding both to my list of inks to test :)

#15 Ememel

Ememel

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 March 2020 - 22:11

My favourite shade by far ❤️ A thread I would be following!

Edited by Ememel, 30 March 2020 - 22:13.

#16 Ememel

Ememel

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 March 2020 - 10:07

Thanks for that info! Definitely going to add Diamine Purple Rain to my list of inks to get a sample of.

I haven't used the Lamy Azurite in a stub nib pen yet, so maybe the sheen will show up more then. I tested some Diamine Bilberry a long time ago and didn't find it that interesting then, but maybe I should revisit it with different paper & pen combos. 

I've inked my pens with Bilberry, Azurite and Purple Mojo for some hue and sheen comparisons.

Purple Rain as I've swatched it earlier:

inCollage_20191109_164004103-01.jpeg

#17 chromantic

chromantic

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,313 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 April 2020 - 10:32

The green sheen on Cross Violet is on the darker side, not at all like the bright green on, say, Kana-cho Midnight.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

#18 ENewton

ENewton

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,993 posts

Posted 17 June 2020 - 02:39

I am currently using Waterman Tender Purple in a Parker Duofold Junior fine on Tomoe River paper and seeing a surprising amount of green sheen.  I say surprising, because although I have fifteen purple inks, this is the only one to exhibit sheen when used in a pen with a fine or medium nib.

#19 -CW-

-CW-

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 17 June 2020 - 16:16

I would love this.

#20 ENewton

ENewton

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,993 posts

Posted 17 June 2020 - 19:46

Oh, yes!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sheen, purple, ink

Sponsored Content

|