Best Yellow- And Green-Sheening Purple Inks (Vs. Diamine Winter Miracle)?

Wistful-Ink

Winter Miracle was by far the standout for me from the Diamine Inkvent calendar, and now that they're going to be available in 50 mL bottles, I'm sorely tempted to buy a bottle. But I don't have many large ink bottles, and before I commit, I'd like to see if there are similar inks that are worth trying out first.

I don't care that much about the blue shimmer aspect of Winter Miracle, so mostly I'm looking for recommendations for your favorite deep purple inks with crazy yellow/green sheen and, if possible, how you think they compare to Diamine Inkvent's Winter Miracle.

From what I've seen online, PR Tanzanite and Waterman Tender Purple seem promising. I've tried a sample of Lamy Azurite and was fairly disappointed with the sheen. Only a little bit of sheen for a heavy swatch on Tomoe River paper, with pretty much no sheen on any of the other papers I tried. I'd love to hear your suggestions (and sample pics if you have any)!

Edited by Wistful-Ink

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Wistful-Ink

• amberleadavis

• Ememel

• effrafax

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, I don't own these but a quick search brings up multiple results for Cross Violet and Lamy Dark Lilac, Bung-Box sweet-potato purple, and Monteverde Amethyst.

I do have Winter Miracle but I don't use it much (I don't like shimmer).

Edited by WLSpec

My comparison of Diamine Winter Miracle and Lamy Azurite.

IMG_20200324_215524.jpg

Edited by Wistful-Ink

I have Private Reserve's Tanzanite, and it is a TRUE purple ink... with Sheen NOT Shimmer. Not as much as Winter Miracle, which I'm not sure is a Shimmer Ink or a Sheening Ink. It is also judging from the picture far more PURPLE rather than BLUE than Lamy Azurite. Too it is a PURPLE Ink that looks like a PURPLE ink, not an ink where the Sheem/Shimmer obscures the Purple.

I have Private Reserve's Tanzanite, and it is a TRUE purple ink... with Sheen NOT Shimmer. Not as much as Winter Miracle, which I'm not sure is a Shimmer Ink or a Sheening Ink. It is also judging from the picture far more PURPLE rather than BLUE than Lamy Azurite. Too it is a PURPLE Ink that looks like a PURPLE ink, not an ink where the Sheem/Shimmer obscures the Purple.

I have Lamy Azurite, Diamine Bilberry, Diamine Purple Rain, Privat Reserve Tanzanite and Purple Mojo. I've pre-ordered Winter Miracle, but haven't got it yet. And yes, Winter Miracle has both sheen and shimmer, so the inks I'm mentioning will only get you so far.

- Azurite is very much like in the picture above. Pretty green sheen, but it's not a sheen monster when in a medium or fine nibbed pen.

- Diamine Bilberry blurple with a strong copper sheen

- Diamine Purple Rain - purple black with strong yellow sheen

- PR Tanzanite - blurple with copper sheen

- PR Purple Mojo - purple with lime green sheen

My sample of Tanzanite is actually bluer than Azurite. Both inks are in the blurple range, but where Diamine Bilberry is a blueish purple, I find that both Tanzanite and Azurite are purpleish blues. It's a fine line and I'm already double checking myself. My camera can't catch the differences in hues, at least not now the sun's down. PR Purple Mojo is a nice purple with green sheen, but the sheen hasn't so far been very prominent in writing (even on Tomoe River paper).

Edited by Ememel

I love blurples. I'm wondering if we should start a Blurple Thread.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Troublemaker's Doña Victorina has a very strong green sheen. It's also very waterproof.

Cheers,

Effrafax.

"It is a well known and much lamented fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it"

Douglas Adams ("The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy - The Original Radio Scripts").

Troublemaker's Doña Victorina has a very strong green sheen. It's also very waterproof.

Do you have a link?

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Cheers,

Effrafax.

"It is a well known and much lamented fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it"

Douglas Adams ("The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy - The Original Radio Scripts").

Thank you

donavictorina_1_09766264-b9f1-44d7-941a-

That is a gorgeous-looking ink. Troublemaker has a lot of inks I'd love to try out next time they release more inks. Though Dona Victorina does seem to come with a staining warning.

Edited by Wistful-Ink

I have Lamy Azurite, Diamine Bilberry, Diamine Purple Rain, Privat Reserve Tanzanite and Purple Mojo. I've pre-ordered Winter Miracle, but haven't got it yet. And yes, Winter Miracle has both sheen and shimmer, so the inks I'm mentioning will only get you so far.

- Azurite is very much like in the picture above. Pretty green sheen, but it's not a sheen monster when in a medium or fine nibbed pen.

- Diamine Bilberry blurple with a strong copper sheen

- Diamine Purple Rain - purple black with strong yellow sheen

- PR Tanzanite - blurple with copper sheen

- PR Purple Mojo - purple with lime green sheen

My sample of Tanzanite is actually bluer than Azurite. Both inks are in the blurple range, but where Diamine Bilberry is a blueish purple, I find that both Tanzanite and Azurite are purpleish blues. It's a fine line and I'm already double checking myself. My camera can't catch the differences in hues, at least not now the sun's down. PR Purple Mojo is a nice purple with green sheen, but the sheen hasn't so far been very prominent in writing (even on Tomoe River paper).

Thanks for that info! Definitely going to add Diamine Purple Rain to my list of inks to get a sample of.

I haven't used the Lamy Azurite in a stub nib pen yet, so maybe the sheen will show up more then. I tested some Diamine Bilberry a long time ago and didn't find it that interesting then, but maybe I should revisit it with different paper & pen combos.

I love blurples. I'm wondering if we should start a Blurple Thread.

My favourite shade by far ❤️ A thread I would be following!

Edited by Ememel

Thanks for that info! Definitely going to add Diamine Purple Rain to my list of inks to get a sample of.

I haven't used the Lamy Azurite in a stub nib pen yet, so maybe the sheen will show up more then. I tested some Diamine Bilberry a long time ago and didn't find it that interesting then, but maybe I should revisit it with different paper & pen combos.

I've inked my pens with Bilberry, Azurite and Purple Mojo for some hue and sheen comparisons.

Purple Rain as I've swatched it earlier:

inCollage_20191109_164004103-01.jpeg

The green sheen on Cross Violet is on the darker side, not at all like the bright green on, say, Kana-cho Midnight.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

• 2 months later...

I am currently using Waterman Tender Purple in a Parker Duofold Junior fine on Tomoe River paper and seeing a surprising amount of green sheen. I say surprising, because although I have fifteen purple inks, this is the only one to exhibit sheen when used in a pen with a fine or medium nib.