Inky T O D - The Unthinkable Has Happened, Amber Had To Choose 1 Ink

amberleadavis

Let me start by saying that, I hate apocalyptic movies. As a kid I saw the Day After, and I was traumatized. With the shut down of the Las Vegas Strip, and Nevada making the unprecedented decision to close all gaming, I closed my office. That means that that I had to leave all my inks at the office. I had 10 minutes to grab my papers, my computer and my files. I grabbed only 1 ink.

We have lots of threads about choosing 1 ink - and I have to say that I usually don't participate in the discussion because it was too depressing to contemplate. When asked, I would quote Cat from Red Dwarf, "Two suits is dead" , but say, "2 inks is dead."

So, now let me say that I thought that I would choose KWZI Violet #4, but when the chips were down, the ink I chose was totally unexpected.

So, here are the questions for you:

If you have chosen 1 ink, what did you choose?

Did it match what you thought you would choose?

And, I will give a hint each day. The first person to guess the ink I chose, will receive a gift of a bottle of ink or a pen of my choosing.

In the meantime, stay safe and healthy.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• DrDebG

• WLSpec

• LizEF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hmmmm... Faux PPS?

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

Dear Amberleadavis - trying to guess what you would pick is like trying to guess the number of colors in all existence!

This is one I will have to think on. I know it would have to be eye-searing, likely permanent, including light resistant. Hmmm. . . . gotta think on this one.

For me, as much as I love all of my inks, if I had to pick only one it would be . . . . nahhh . . . . gotta wait for it. When I reveal yours, I will reveal mine.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

Perhaps an ink that I have been using quite frequently lately.....

Edelstein Olivine

But then that might be to muted for Amber....

What is that Dromgoole's exclusive? Blue Steel or Texas Bluebonnet.

Bright enough, but blue enough for filings.

Edited by Runnin_Ute

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

And I should say that I am surprised at you, Amberleadavis! I would have thought that you kept duplicates or triplicates of all your inks at home. Doesn't every attorney keep multiple copies?

Seriously, though, that has got to be difficult. I hope that you are weathering our "seclusion order" well. Since my office is in my home, it isn't a big deal for me. But I know when I have had to have a remote office, not having everything that I am used to around me is frustrating. That is when I started really collecting ink. I had different inks in each place. At one time, I have two remote locations in addition to my home office. When I finally consolidated everything, I was really surprised at how much ink I had. And now, I have even more!

BTW, I am still thinking, pondering on what would be the one ink that Amberleadavis would grab on the way out the door. This ink touches heart strings. Hmmm what could it be?

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

All of my inks are in boxes, which hold a dozen or more inks. So I would grab a box. Probably would grab the box with the inks from Pen and Message, Style Dee Delta, and some Kingdom Note inks. This is probably a dozen inks. There is a larger box with the Kobe's, Maruzen Athena, Ishida Bungu, and Sankodo inks, with some Kyoto TAG inks thrown in. There's a good number of inks in that box.

I just can't imagine having to pick one ink. My guess is you picked a permanent blue ink, in case any work items were needed. Good luck and stay healthy.

Now in fairness, I grabbed a bunch of pens that were inked and I grabbed as many cartridges as I could find.

As for pens, I grabbed only italics or stubs. No regular nibs for me.

I also found a bunch of old cards / samples from a print shop that I'd bought years ago. I'm writing letters to strangers in nursing homes using the old cards. I figure since they can't get visitors, then mail is nice.

@WhiteLotus, my office is bigger and roomier than my house.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Blue Steel?

Any ink I grabbed would have to be usable in any pen including some of my century old vintage pens so I would probably take Monteverde Horizon Blue.

Dave Campbell
Retired Science Teacher and Active Pen Addict
Every day is a chance to reduce my level of ignorance.

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

If I was in a time crunch it would probably be my bottle of Sailor Souboku. My favorite ink is still Sailor Rikyu-cha, but the distinctive packaging (for quick ID) and practicality of Souboku would make that my choice.

thinking about choosing a single ink, and actually doing it within a minute, are quite different things.

i'm currently using some no name brand, royal blue. most probably it's rebranded pelikan 4001. and that would be my choice, if i had to pick one under a gun.

however, there is enough space for more than a dozen ink bottles in a drawer both at home, and in my company office, and i use it. only one duplicate, pelikan 4001 RB :-)

guess it wouldn't be your choice.

on the other hand, sailor (jentle) doyou might be a good candidate, too: it's prominently featured in the front row, and it's a voluminous bottle (easy to grab).

stay healthy, and keep the morale.

Pilot black or blue-black.

The going home is to work from home (or break the bank). If you have to sign or fill in legal documents I fear you need to go for a well-behaved ink that can be used in formal documents. So, no fancy colors, and a need for permanence. If you expect to be working from home, you will want something that can go in a large bottle to ensure your supply of ink for a possibly extended 45 day period. Pilot black or blue black fits the bill.

An alternative would be a Noodler's ink in formal color, bulletproof, and large bottle, that works well on bad, cheap copy paper, like X-feather.

Me, I have my inks at home, and at work I only had now a bottle of Koh-i-Noor document black and a bottle of Koh-i-Noor document blue. But they are too dry. If I were to pick one ink, I would have to choose between Noodler's Lexington Grey, Noodler's Baystate Blue or Montblanc Permanent Blue, and the winner, certainly, would be Montblanc Permanent Blue (it is close to BSB, formal, permanent and well behaved, and I have a large bottle.

If you are to be ephemeral, leave a good scent.

I have never had to choose a single ink.

If I had to, I would go for Diamine Oxford Blue right away. My go to blue ink. But maybe Pilot blue. I like that too.

Edited by WLSpec

I am always fascinated by these questions because I would like to settle down on one ink eventually. But I can never really decide and switch things up...good thing that I can actually change to another ink when I feel the itch.

But if I had to choose one bottle from my collection, I am pretty sure that it would be KWZ Iron Gall Blue Black, or at least a shootout between this one and Pilot Blue Black or Shin-Kai.

Would depend on the other circumstances, too. If I would keep only my Custom 823, then the KWZ would likely lose to the other two. Maybe I would choose Shin-Kai then.

Stay healthy.

I would grab R&K Dokumentus Brown because it's waterproof enough for a wash of watercolour, but warmer and softer than the usual black, so it blends well for pretty much any drawing. It's dark enough to write serious stuff, but I could paint with it. I would have to paint to stay sane. I could make pen and wash portraits of the people I love with just that one. It would be good for journaling to deal with my monkey mind. And good for letter writing.to keep in touch with the people I couldn't visit. I could manage with just that one.

Not what Amber would choose, I'm sure.

Will work for pens... :unsure:

For me there is one ink to rule them all, performance-wise, although the "colour" ... well, it's black. But I know it is the most dependable ink and definitely works in ALL my pens:

J. Herbin Perle noire

(How sad a thought. ONE INK ONLY! Why!?!!!??)

@amberleadavis: Did you chose for prettiness or practicality?

Edited by JulieParadise

Iro Kon-Piki

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!