Edelstein Or Regular

Ghostswimmer

I found the 4001 Dark Green considerably wetter than the other 4001 inks I've used, fwiw. Not the wettest ink I own, just wet for a 4001 ink.

"To read without also writing is to sleep." - St. Jerome

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• N1003U

• TitoThePencilPimp

• Bo Bo Olson

• Mercian

I found the 4001 Dark Green considerably wetter than the other 4001 inks I've used, fwiw. Not the wettest ink I own, just wet for a 4001 ink.

I found the brown to be driest. But one of my favorite inks. The royal blue I have is extremely wet. Makes any pen I own write like a firehose. Is this normal for Royal Blue?

So, TitoThePencilPimp, as you see above, there are good options for ordering in Pelikan inks at good prices from Europe. I know you have mentioned elsewhere that you are or recently were a student and have a somewhat strict budget, but if you can at least scrape together an order large enough to overcome the shipping costs, it can be well worth it.

Do let us know how it all worked out for you after you order...

Thank you N1003U and Dilenttante. I am happy with my orders from CultPens so far. Would probably order the Edelstein inks from them around October.

Im looking at Moonstone, Smoky Quartz, and Jade. These are must buys for me. However, I recently learned about Diamine Cool Green. They appear to be similar to my eyes. Is their a royal blue in the Edelstein range? I am getting tired of 4001 Royal Blue. I may order RK royal blue. But I would prefer a Royal Blue that is the same match as the Royal Blue used on Chuck Taylors.

Does using Edelstein inks replace the need to lube the Pelikan piston? I admit, I have not lubed the piston in my pens for a while. Although the mechanism is still smooth. So lubing is a non issue and very easy to do.I tend to stick to one ink in most of my pens. The only time I use multiple inks is in my Sailors.

Edited by TitoThePencilPimp

I found the brown to be driest. But one of my favorite inks. The royal blue I have is extremely wet. Makes any pen I own write like a firehose. Is this normal for Royal Blue?

Most of the remarks I have seen made about 4001 Königsblau (Royal Blue) report it to be a ‘somewhat dry’ ink.

I have only ever used it in my two P480 Pelikanos - both of which are ‘firehoses’ - and it worked very well in them, making the pens not write too ‘wet’ or ‘gushy’ (which one would of course hope to be the case, being that the pen is Pelikan’s pen for schoolchildren, and the ink is Pelikan’s ink for schoolchildren).

In what pens have you found 4001 Königsblau to have this ‘laxative‘ effect? And what inks have you use in the same pens without them being excessively ‘wet’?

Foul in clear conditions, but handsome in the fog.

mini-postcard-exc.png

Is their a royal blue in the Edelstein range? I am getting tired of 4001 Royal Blue. I may order RK royal blue. But I would prefer a Royal Blue that is the same match as the Royal Blue used on Chuck Taylors.

The nearest colour to Royal Blue in the Edelstein range would be Edelstein Sapphire. To my eyes it looks slightly more violet than the 4001 Königsblau does. I think that it is Königsblau, plus piston lubricant, plus a small dash of 4001 Violett.

Lots of FPNers were disappointed by it when it first came out, because they were expecting/hoping for an ink that looked more like the discontinued Parker Penman Sapphire.

Other people thought its final appearance to be too similar to that of Königsblau to justify the Edelstein ink’s increased price. It is rather similar.

Personally, I like Edelstein Sapphire - but I am very probably very clearly in the minority.

For an ink that looks similar to the blue on (some) Chuck Taylors, you might try Diamine ‘Imperial Blue’ - to my eyes it dries to a fairly dark shade of ‘blurple’, but reading your post above made me realise that it does also remind me of the shade of blue on my pair of All-Stars (which I bought in 2014, and were called something like ‘Converse Star Player Ev Ox’). [Edit to add: this photo shows shoes like the ones that I have.]

Does using Edelstein inks replace the need to lube the Pelikan piston? I admit, I have not lubed the piston in my pens for a while.

I don’t know that one can guarantee that, but I will say that I have not had to lubricate the piston on my M205 as-often since I started running Edelstein inks through it.

Then again, I have also stopped using solutions of dish-detergent to clean it out, which may well be more-likely to explain the reduced need for lubing its piston.

Edited by Mercian

mini-postcard-exc.png

I think that the Brown in my M800 with F nib isn't particularly dry at all. it matches the Burnt Orange pen very well.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

I think that the Brown in my M800 with F nib isn't particularly dry at all. it matches the Burnt Orange pen very well.

I agree. I've regularly used Pelikan 4001 black, blue-black, royal blue, and brilliant brown, and I've found the brown to be the wettest of the bunch. Very good inks, every one of them.

Rumpole

Most of the remarks I have seen made about 4001 Königsblau (Royal Blue) report it to be a ‘somewhat dry’ ink.

I have only ever used it in my two P480 Pelikanos - both of which are ‘firehoses’ - and it worked very well in them, making the pens not write too ‘wet’ or ‘gushy’ (which one would of course hope to be the case, being that the pen is Pelikan’s pen for schoolchildren, and the ink is Pelikan’s ink for schoolchildren).

In what pens have you found 4001 Königsblau to have this ‘laxative‘ effect? And what inks have you use in the same pens without them being excessively ‘wet’?

M600, m400, m200. I have spare ef, f 14kt two tone and steel versions. The royal blue was wet in these. Maybe batch variation? But I doubt there is too much batch variation given the mechanized scale in which these inks are produced? I have used Yama-Budo in these pens. I make sure to properly clean pens before changing inks.

M600, m400, m200. I have spare ef, f 14kt two tone and steel versions. The royal blue was wet in these. Maybe batch variation? But I doubt there is too much batch variation given the mechanized scale in which these inks are produced? I have used Yama-Budo in these pens. I make sure to properly clean pens before changing inks.

Wow. Weird.

If you had asked me to predict which of those two inks would ‘gush’ from your Pelikans I would, without any hesitation, have picked the Iroshizuku.

The reviews I’ve seen of Iros have all said that the inks have ‘good flow’, and those I’ve seen of 4001 Königsblau describe it as being ‘on the dry side’. Pelikan pens are reputed to be ‘wet’ (to cope with Pelikan’s ‘dry’ inks), so I would have expected them to work perfectly with the 4001 inks, and perhaps be a bit too ‘gushy’ with an Iroshizuku.

My two piston-fill Pelikans (M205F & M805F) are both ‘wet’ writers.

They both work great with 4001 Violet - & 4001 Brilliant Black can, if anything, feel a bit dry from my M205F - but I haven’t ever run Königsblau through either of them (I don’t enjoy the ‘flat’ colour to which it dries, so I have never bought a bottle of it).

Like you, I wouldn’t expect your problems to be due to any batch variation either (I presume that Pelikan make Königsblau in swimming-pool-sized batches).

I wonder why your Pels don’t like 4001 Königsblau. Maybe they feel affronted at the idea of being asked to work with a washable-blue ‘schoolchild’s ink’? :wacko:

If you do decide to try out Edelstein Sapphire in them I would definitely recommend that - in the light of your problems with Königsblau - you start off with only a sample of it, & not risk buying a full bottle.

Good luck :thumbup:

mini-postcard-exc.png

Pelikans work well with any ink. I try to avoid iron gall inks, but thats just because of the infernal trim ring Pelikan insists on using for the Souverän line. If you like a particular Edelstein colour, its good ink. The bottles are a little too squat, which can make filling a hassle. Im not a huge fan of any Edelstein blue inks. They dont really have a true blue. Monteverde Blue Horizon works great in all my Pelikans if youre looking for a solid blue option.

I'm glad to see I'm not alone in wishing they would stop putting that trim ring at the end of the section.

Agreed on Monteverde Blue Horizon.

To the OP, for a black ink -- and between the two choices you mentioned -- I would go for the 4001 Black. I have used both 4001 and the Edelstein version of black and much preferred the 4001. On decent paper, 4001 has also been mostly water resistant in my experience, which is a bonus. Edelstein black washed right off the page...

• 1 month later...

Everyone and his brother demanded a dark green Pelikan ink :doh: ........I guess they don't like fine green-green shading inks.....like R&K Verdura or MB Irish or Pelikan 4001 Brilliant Green.

The new blaaa dull green don't shade..........what a waste of money. Lots of dull greens out there like that.

And to top it all off they Discontinued 4001 Brilliant Green. :crybaby:I do still have a bottle :thumbup: ....have some 19 green/greenish inks.

MB's new price jump from E14/15 or so to E19 took all of them out of my price range. Hell, the expensive Edelstein at E16 is suddenly affordable. That is my max once a year range.

The fine green-green shading R&K Verdura is a nose better than MB Irish and a neck better than Pelikan 4001 Brilliant Green and costs @E8 for 50ml.

All was not lost when Pelikan listened to ..... customers who don't like shading inks. :wallbash:

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

The nearest colour to Royal Blue in the Edelstein range would be Edelstein Sapphire. To my eyes it looks slightly more violet than the 4001 Königsblau does. I think that it is Königsblau, plus piston lubricant, plus a small dash of 4001 Violett.

Lots of FPNers were disappointed by it when it first came out, because they were expecting/hoping for an ink that looked more like the discontinued Parker Penman Sapphire.

Other people thought its final appearance to be too similar to that of Königsblau to justify the Edelstein ink’s increased price. It is rather similar.

Personally, I like Edelstein Sapphire - but I am very probably very clearly in the minority.

For an ink that looks similar to the blue on (some) Chuck Taylors, you might try Diamine ‘Imperial Blue’ - to my eyes it dries to a fairly dark shade of ‘blurple’, but reading your post above made me realise that it does also remind me of the shade of blue on my pair of All-Stars (which I bought in 2014, and were called something like ‘Converse Star Player Ev Ox’). [Edit to add: this photo shows shoes like the ones that I have.]

I don’t know that one can guarantee that, but I will say that I have not had to lubricate the piston on my M205 as-often since I started running Edelstein inks through it.

Then again, I have also stopped using solutions of dish-detergent to clean it out, which may well be more-likely to explain the reduced need for lubing its piston.

Speaking of blue inks mostly, you are not alone, I just love Edelstein Sapphire.

OK, it's purplish (but then it wouldn't be Sapphire otherwise), and similar to other Sapphires like Diamine or JH, but it behaves very well (just slightly wetter than 4001, without being one of those ultrasurfactant inks that never dry and smear.)

I consider it rather different than 4001 though.

(The best alternative to Royal blue 4001 is MB Royal blue in my opinion, same tint and no fading).

Sapphire is a great ink though, and in addition it mixes so well with other Edelsteins.

Try a mix Edelstein + Aquamarine approx 1:1. Very nice neutral blue and behaves perfectly.

Like a slightly darker tint?, add a very small amount of Tanzanite (another great favourite).

I have not tried yet, but PPS for what I have seen (never owned a bottle) has a touch of turquoise in it, I tend to think that any attempt to replicate the colour of PPS (not other characteristics as PPS had sheen and none of the Edelstein inks do) with Edelstein inks should start from Topaz + Sapphire... :)

I love this remark concerning the "wetness" of a certain ink: In what pens have you found 4001 Königsblau to have this ‘laxative‘ effect?> (Mercian, you comic, you!) :D

• 2 weeks later...

Ditto that request... :huh:

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I have a bottle of 4001 Royal blue from my school years. Don't remember the year but it's old. It's got the new modern all-blue box with single chick, but the bottle cap has the old two-chicks logo.

That ink writes darker and wetter than usual. It's not a firehose per se but, in a Preppy it's nice and smooth and has less vibrancy than an odd box of long 4001 royal blue cartridges I have.

Currently that bottle is my EDC ink since it behaves well, moderately wet and well washable. I scribble unimportant/daily stuff with it.

Edelstein Sapphire has been moved to my buy list.....got to get the new gray first.

The '90's gray and silver gray were real fine inks....too bad I didn't buy more of the cartridges at a flea market............foolishly thought I might find a good cheap pen, than buying at the treasure chest of the once very, very many Pelikan inks.

Considering the hate Edelstein Sapphire got when it came out....and I had moved on from blue inks, I never got any.

(It was so hated one would think it was a MB ink................yep, once all things but the MB bottle was hated by posters of yore.............Racing Green was once the most hated ink in the whole world.................value of things has to do with availability. That and learning about the Weird World of Shading Murky or Murky Shading....one of the two.)

Does it shade on 90g laser paper??????

Pelikan M200-M800. With 8 different nib sizes. It could just be my bottle of Pelikan Royal Blue. But yes, it is extremely wet. Sailor Souten preforms better in these pens, so I use that instead.

I do have a few bottles of Pelikan Royal Blue that comes with the m101n. They are sealed, so maybe I will open one and see how that works out for me.