The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Looking For Alternatives To Glass Dip Pens.

dip pen

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 AdrielGrey

AdrielGrey

The witchy writer

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 March 2020 - 00:44

I was wondering if there are dip pens that are made from other materials than metal or glass. I suppose ceramic or acrylic would make for a good substitute for a complete glass dip pen. Or maybe wood, with a rounded point and with spiral grooves in it, similar to a glass pen.

All I see are glass dip pens and metal nibs that attach to a handle. I can't find anything else. Help?
I am the tarot reading, bookworm, whiskey and wine drinking, witchcraft practicing, old fashioned writing, aunt in my family and I love it. Tarot readings for sale or trade, and I need penpals! Anyone interested, PM me!

Sponsored Content

#2 WLSpec

WLSpec

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 March 2020 - 01:34

Wood would likely stain, so I doubt that would be made. Acrylic is a possibility, though I have never seen anything like it... the acrylic might wear away at the tip too fast. 

I think because glass and metal nibs already work, nobody is going to experiment (don't mess with success...)

Perhaps a project for you at some point?  :)

#3 BaronWulfraed

BaronWulfraed

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,823 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 March 2020 - 01:37

Ceramic would probably have to be glazed -- since unglazed ceramic would be rather porous (as would wood). Glazing, however, might affect the ability of the grooves to manage ink flow.

Acrylic, maybe... but molding it might have the same problems as glazed ceramic (the grooves may not hold ink well).

#4 Tweel

Tweel

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• 2,291 posts

Posted 23 March 2020 - 06:43

A goose quill or bamboo pen?

fpn_1375035941__postcard_swap.png * * * "Don't neglect to write me several times from different places when you may."
-- John Purdue (1863)

#5 Honeybadgers

Honeybadgers

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,618 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 March 2020 - 10:03

Better question - why is glass not acceptable? as far as hard dip nibs go, it's basically unbeatable.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

#6 AdrielGrey

AdrielGrey

The witchy writer

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 March 2020 - 15:38

Better question - why is glass not acceptable? as far as hard dip nibs go, it's basically unbeatable.

I love my glass pen, but I'm so afraid of breaking it. And I wanted something that I could take with me, between my house, my ma's house, my friend's house, the library, ect. But I've never found a metal dip pen nib that I like. All I've tried is too scratchy.
I am the tarot reading, bookworm, whiskey and wine drinking, witchcraft practicing, old fashioned writing, aunt in my family and I love it. Tarot readings for sale or trade, and I need penpals! Anyone interested, PM me!

#7 Astron

Astron

Ex astris scientia.

• Member - Gold

• 1,539 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 March 2020 - 17:56

Another thing is that the surface tension on an alternative should be the same as it is for glas. I think thats one of the biggest problems.

#8 Anderglan

Anderglan

If you are easily offended or have anything that can trigger you

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 March 2020 - 18:04

I love my glass pen, but I'm so afraid of breaking it. And I wanted something that I could take with me, between my house, my ma's house, my friend's house, the library, ect. But I've never found a metal dip pen nib that I like. All I've tried is too scratchy.

There exist some FPs -- piston fillers -- with glass "nib"; vintage, at least

all välgång
Alexander W.–G.

#9 Ermennda

Ermennda

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 March 2020 - 19:29

I was wondering if there are dip pens that are made from other materials than metal or glass. I suppose ceramic or acrylic would make for a good substitute for a complete glass dip pen. Or maybe wood, with a rounded point and with spiral grooves in it, similar to a glass pen.

All I see are glass dip pens and metal nibs that attach to a handle. I can't find anything else. Help?

Rang handmade pens, in India, makes ebonite holders that accept a fountain pen nib and feed. Easy to clean since they are just friction fit. They are clourful bordering on garish. I vagely remember other brands did the same. Probably discontinued though.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dip pen

Sponsored Content

|