Greetings From New York!

cgreenberg19

Hello,

Even though I joined the forum back in December, I have yet to introduce myself, so here we go. I've been using fountain pens for about seven years after stumbling upon one in a store (not a fountain pen store, should you wonder) and I bought the pen which was a Pelikan 600 at what I thought was a crazy price for a pen thinking that I would use it every day. Looking back now, a Pelikan M600 might not have been the best choice for a starter pen, so naturally I had quite a few problems with it at first. That's when I looked on the internet and found the videos of Brian Goulet and Stephen Brown. After finding out how fun pens were I decided to get a few more which ended up growing into a hobby and then an obsession. My only regret in the hobby is waiting so long to join the forum because aside from pen shows and meetups, there aren't that many ways to connect with other people in the pen community except for online forums. In the short three months I've been a member I learned a lot and had a great deal of fun connecting with other pen people, so I figured it was time to formally introduce myself!

Charlie

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• cgreenberg19

• welch

• Wahl

Hello,

Even though I joined the forum back in December, I have yet to introduce myself, so here we go. I've been using fountain pens for about seven years after stumbling upon one in a store (not a fountain pen store, should you wonder) and I bought the pen which was a Pelikan 600 at what I thought was a crazy price for a pen thinking that I would use it every day. Looking back now, a Pelikan M600 might not have been the best choice for a starter pen, so naturally I had quite a few problems with it at first. That's when I looked on the internet and found the videos of Brian Goulet and Stephen Brown. After finding out how fun pens were I decided to get a few more which ended up growing into a hobby and then an obsession. My only regret in the hobby is waiting so long to join the forum because aside from pen shows and meetups, there aren't that many ways to connect with other people in the pen community except for online forums. In the short three months I've been a member I learned a lot and had a great deal of fun connecting with other pen people, so I figured it was time to formally introduce myself!

Charlie

Welcome to FPN! :)

It does become an obsession that way, doesn't it....

Hello and welcome to this friendly corner of the universe from a fountain pen user in San Diego. There is such a wealth of information waiting for you to discover on this site. Write On!

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

Welcome! Lots of great information here and even more suggestions to expand your collection.

Stay healthy.

Cheers,

Ozzy

None of us knows how long he shall live or when his time will come. But soon all that will be left of our brief lives is the pride our children feel when they speak our names.

Hello and Welcome to FPN!! Glad to have you as a member!!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Welcome, it's a good time to join and explore Fountain Pens.

Greetings from Pittsburgh! :W2FPN:

Where are you located? I grew up in Rockland and Westchester Counties, north of NYC. Which actually has a couple of pen shops: Fountain Pen Hospital (I try to get there at least once a year on holiday trips to see the in-laws) and the Lamy Soho store. Not sure where to buy pens in other parts of the state, though, sorry.

I generally tell new people to click on the "View New Content" button when they log in, to get a good overview of a range of topics; you can adjust how/much often in the sidebar on the main page. And to check out the pinned Index to the Ink Reviews Forum (although some older reviews no longer have the images -- a lot of them fell prey to Photobucket's policy change a couple of years ago). And to NOT do what I did when I started, which was to read the Parker Forum. All of it.... in 2012, it was 175 PAGES of threads. Now it's bigger....

But I should warn you that we are all shameless enablers, and will be more than happy to help you spend your discretionary budget on pens, inks, paper, repair tools, desk accessories, storage, ephemera.... (Normally I include pen shows, but with COVID-19 at least one has been cancelled already this spring :().

An M600? Yikes! Mine was a $6.95 Parker Reflex from Staples, and for several years I only used it (and its replacement when the rubberized coating on the section disintegrated; and the Parker Vector I got when the same thing happened to the second Refex) for journaling. I finally got my FIRST M600 recently, an M600 Violet and White with an EF nib (I have a few M400s and M405s, and a few other Pelikans -- including a 1980s Pelikano I paid five bucks for at a pen show a couple of years ago) because I found a deal too good to pass up after spending several days fighting with technology and needed to cheer myself up. A lot.... B) (And by too good to pass up, it ended up being less expensive than either of the M405s.... :o).

So, what ink(s) are you currently using? I keep thinking that I should try something different in the Violet and White, but Edelstein Topaz is just soooo nice....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

:W2FPN: Charlie!!!! Well, Ruth has given you some great advice. And if you are anywhere in and around the 5 boroughs of NYC, check out the Clubs/Meetings sub-forum. Our fellow FPN member Tim (tmenyc) posts notices of the pen club meetings that he organizes in NYC.

Welcome! And come visit the Big Apple Pen Club, which meets the second Thursday of each month at the Bard Graduate Center residence hall, 410 W. 58th.

Of course, no meetings while Bard is closed to meetings for the Coronavirus. Otherwise, keep an eye on the Clubs section of FPN.

Washington Nationals 2019: the fight for .500; "stay in the fight"; WON the fight

Welcome!

I have not read much about the M600. Why was it a bad first choice, apart from being expensive?

Welcome!

I have not read much about the M600. Why was it a bad first choice, apart from being expensive?

Most of us started with low-end pens and worked our way up to more expensive ones. And sometimes, unfortunately, expensive does not always mean that the nibs are better (I've had good experiences with my M400 and two M405s, but I had one M200 that had a B nib that needed work -- it skipped no matter what ink I put it it (I think the issue was baby's bottom -- meaning that the tipping wasn't ground correctly).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

A warm welcome to you and your pens !

You will learn a lot here...

How is NY hanging out there in the wake of the virus?

Best Wishes!

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome!!!

"The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it."  - Selwyn Duke    

Hello and Welcome to FPN!!

To sit at one's table on a sunny morning, with four clear hours of uninterruptible security, plenty of nice white paper, and a [fountain] pen - that is true happiness!

- Winston Churchill

• 4 weeks later...

Hello and welcome to FPN.

Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous  Who taught by the pen

Taught man that which he knew not (96/3-5)

Snailmail3.png Snail Mail