Efnir: Waterman Audacious Red

LizEF

Extra Fine Nib Ink Review: Waterman Audacious Red

I don't know if video reviews are allowed here - if not, I'm sure the mods will let me know - I'm also posting the end result for those who don't want to watch the video. This is the first of many, many videos / reviews. For some background and my review goals / philosophy, see today's post in this thread: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/339106-inky-question-for-ef-nib-users/

large.WatermanAudaciousRed.jpg.0897ada8c447e51eb0b64491c37cf7e8.jpg

Help me prioritize inks for future reviews here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1KpnbyWXFksNUeMp9x1oLOd2ItjeH-H29-zvtuu-J5jA

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LizEF

• Misfit

• inkstainedruth

• lapis

Looks good to me! And you did the right thing, too, in that you did post the URL/link for the fun part but not solely that reference for the whole review (like some members once did). And no sound = no problem, I mean, after all, it's what I'm looking at when I want to see if an ink is gonna be in the ball park.

Getting back on the track, I really like/liked this ink. Still do, in fact, but it has been replaced (for me) by D's Poppy and Wild Strawberry due to their somewhat increased brightness and/or intensiveness. Nonetheless -- as for all Waterman inks -- it 's their maintenance which remains unbeaten.

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Looks good to me! And you did the right thing, too, in that you did post the URL/link for the fun part but not solely that reference for the whole review (like some members once did). And no sound = no problem, I mean, after all, it's what I'm looking at when I want to see if an ink is gonna be in the ball park.

Getting back on the track, I really like/liked this ink. Still do, in fact, but it has been replaced (for me) by D's Poppy and Wild Strawberry due to their somewhat increased brightness and/or intensiveness. Nonetheless -- as for all Waterman inks -- it 's their maintenance which remains unbeaten.

Thanks, lapis! I appreciate the feedback. Now that I have a decent mic, I rather like hearing the nib sounds, but if others don't, they can always mute. :D

Maybe next time I'll figure out how to embed the video, but yeah, I'll keep including some text and an image of the written review for folks who don't want to watch the video.

I appreciate that you are focusing on EF nibs; even though I don't have a lot myself, I do have a few and some of them are quite finicky about what ink they like (you'd think a Sheaffer Snorkel would do well with vintage Quink Peacock, right? Not my EF nibbed one. But modern Skrip Purple? Works a treat, as they say across the pond.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstaineruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I appreciate that you are focusing on EF nibs; ..

Thanks!

... even though I don't have a lot myself, I do have a few and some of them are quite finicky about what ink they like (you'd think a Sheaffer Snorkel would do well with vintage Quink Peacock, right? Not my EF nibbed one. But modern Skrip Purple? Works a treat, as they say across the pond.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstaineruth

And that's why I'm doing it! Too often, I'd end up with an ink that didn't really look much at all like the pictures in reviews. Hopefully this series will help EF nib users remove some of the guess work.

Yeah. Too many inks are shown to really good advantage in a BB or a stub. But more of us out there, I suspect, have Fs or finer (admittedly, I sort of blink at the people who have their nibs reground to a XXF; I started with pens that were mediums, and wasn't sure I could get used to my first F nib -- at least until the cheapskate in me realized how much further a cartridge of Quink Permanent Blue went, that is....

Ironically, today's morning pages journal entry was with the TWSBI 580-ALR and it's 1.1 mm stub (upside down to control the flow).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Thanks! I prefer fine or extra fine nibs for daily use.

You're welcome! Hope the series proves useful to you. New video out tomorrow - Waterman Inspired Blue.

Thanks for your efforts LizEF; I'm an extra-fine enthusiast and I'm looking forward to everything you might post.

Thanks!

D.

Thanks for your efforts LizEF; I'm an extra-fine enthusiast and I'm looking forward to everything you might post.

Thanks!

D.

:D Thank you!

• 3 weeks later...

I was frustrated that my screen captures (and even the video sometimes) don't show the color accurately, so I decided to see if my USB microscope could do a better job of picking up the color, and it does. So from now on, I'll be including a zoomed in photo of the text so folks can see a more accurate representation of the color.

In this case, the following photo is a little darker than reality....

large.WatermanAudaciousRedZ.jpg.9bebf187a178576a99d8bb6c822b4d81.jpg

But between this and the full-screen version above, you should have a good idea of the color.

It is a very pretty red. You have made me appreciate Waterman inks more. I own 4 of them, and recently got a new bottle of purple because my original (and first bottle of ink) finally got used up. Well what was in the bottle was dried up. I added some water, and might try using it.

Your reviews are wonderful. Glad I found them today.

Posted Image

...Your reviews are wonderful. Glad I found them today.

: blush :

Every time I use a Waterman ink, I realize I should use them more often. :) I imagine if you used distilled water, the ink should be just fine once it redissolves.

• 2 weeks later...

Would very old distilled water work?

I don't know why not. As long as nothing is growing in it, it should be fine. :)

• 1 year later...

Here's the line width measurement. The line is from a document written on review paper, around the time of this review, with this ink and pen, but not the review itself - I cannot find that page. :( Magnification is 100x.  The grid is 100x100µm.  The scale is 330µm, with eleven divisions of 30µm each.  The line width for this ink is roughly 270µm.

large.WatermanAudaciousRedLW.jpg.e741945c3aac2cbf172c6db0f6727048.jpg