The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Sheaffer ‘Micro-Crafted’ - The Ballpoint Refill With An Ink Sac.

sheaffer micro-crafted stratowriter ballpoint.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 gmark_wa

gmark_wa

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 March 2020 - 11:53

This is an Australian-marked ‘Micro-crafted’ refill from a Sheaffer (Aust.) Fineline Ballpoint that was produced in the early-1950s. The ‘Micro-crafted’ refill was initially produced by Sheaffer USA in their Stratowriter in 1946 and later used in the Touchdown, Fineline and Snorkel (non-retracting) ballpoint models. 

Fineline with refill 180.jpg

This refill is unusual because the ink is contained in a plastic sac inside the aluminium casing.  Here are some photos of a dismantled ‘Micro-crafted’ refill showing the ballpoint section, ink sac and aluminium sac protector/casing.  

Micro-crafted 2 piece.jpg

The ballpoint section contains the ball, has a screw thread that screws into the ballpoint section/barrel to secure it in the pen, and a base where the sac and casing are attached. 

The aluminium casing is secured by four crimps that engage in a groove on the upper part of the section base. 

The black plastic sac is secured to another groove lower on the base by several wraps of thread. 

The sac in the picture is stiff but flexible; similar in feel to a plastic drinking straw. I was able to squeeze out the ink and clean the sac using denatured alcohol without damaging it.  

Micro-crafted 4 piece.jpg

The blue ink in this refill now has a consistency like putty or dough but I was able to dilute it with denatured alcohol and make some ink swabs. When diluted the colour is similar to Diamine Sapphire Blue fountain pen ink. 

Stratowriter ink comparison.jpg

The ‘Micro-crafted’ refills were sold in a plastic protective case and cost 6 shillings and 9 pence (6/9) in Australia in 1953.

Micro-crafted case.jpg

Sponsored Content

#2 BamaPen

BamaPen

Learning from y'all

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 March 2020 - 17:10

How did you remove the aluminum casing from the section? It looks as if you did no damage at all. I have some of those refills and am interested in dismantling one just for the heck of it.

#3 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,574 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 March 2020 - 01:07

Thank you for sharing this, it is super cool.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Want to get a special letter / gift from me, then create a Ghostly Avatar  

Ink comparisons:  The Great PPS Comparison  366 Inks in 2016

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Dark Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

#4 gmark_wa

gmark_wa

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 April 2020 - 10:56

How did you remove the aluminum casing from the section? It looks as if you did no damage at all. I have some of those refills and am interested in dismantling one just for the heck of it.

The casing is damaged - I used a sharp knife to put a 1 cm longitudinal cut at the top of the casing (not shown in the photo) so that I could spread the top and lift the crimps clear of the grooves in the ballpoint section. I then closed the casing.

I dismantled several refills using different methods and could not find a method that did not damage the casing.

#5 gmark_wa

gmark_wa

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 April 2020 - 11:08

Thank you for sharing this, it is super cool.

Thanks. There is also an interesting post from 2012-2013 called “Re-Sacking An Old Ballpoint, Can It Be Done?” that discusses trying to get one of these refills working again.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sheaffer, micro-crafted, stratowriter, ballpoint.

Sponsored Content

|