Chicago Pen Show 2020 - Yes, We Are Still On.

Roger W.

With the announcement from the Governor today it appears that we will be on the other side of the 1,000 people limit so the show will go on as normal. So far I've had inquiries as to if the show is cancelled. People planning on coming to the show keep booking the hotel and there have been no cancellations. Right now there is a travel ban though it is likely to be lifted by the time of the show. So, crossing our fingers, we are planning the largest show to date. We'll send out a list of vendors shortly.

Thanks,

Roger E. Wooten

Chicago Pen Show

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Parker51

• Estycollector

• Roger W.

• Seney724

Good news, and hopefully things won't get worse and change things. We're driving, so we have travel covered (maybe the gas prices will continue to drop). Looking forward to the show. I need to get busy.

Will you be posting any of the auction items on the website?

I am typically optimistic, but given that the projection is resolution may not be until late April or early May without the use of new medication and/or inoculations I am going to wait and see.

The plain and simple fact is no one knows........

Yet, it is good to know that no premature judgments are being made by Roger Wooten and he may still be hosting a Show in Chicago this year. Let's hope.

Given the total uncertainty, the only financial commitments I'm willing to make right now are the ones where I can get my money back in the event of a cancellation. It would be helpful, Roger, if you could let us know the position you are taking on this important matter.

Just like gweimer1 I have to get busy on organizing all that Parker stuff to take to the show to sell. I better get at that so I can start spring cleaning the house.

Well, part of the joy of a pen show is seeing them all in one room, and being able to hold them and try them

We would issue refunds to everyone if we are forced to cancel. The country certainly didn't close during the last pandemic so this is new. I remain optimistic that the country won't stay closed for long and all this preparation won't go for naught. Looking forward to seeing everyone at the show!

Roger W.

Edited by Roger W.

No where near Chicago, but won't mind the opportuntiy to Pay Pal if that's an option.

Just list the offerings.

"Respect science, respect nature, respect all people (s),"

Having been to many pen shows, it would require each vendor to list from a few hundred to several hundred fountain pens, pencils, roller ball and ballpoint pens and include pictures and descriptions of them as well as listing and photographing ink, paper, tools, parts, supplies and ephamera. Some dealers, such as Roger likely could do it as he is very organized and has a good inventory, but some are not so well organized would have difficulty, and it would take a lot of time to do it.

Now, the Pen Auction is a bit more manageable and by puting it on line good prices might be obtained, however it would mean getting an auction platform involved.

And, don't forget packing and shipping, not free and time consuming.

So, yes a Pen Show could be put online, but given the technology involved and the lack of the development of cheap, easy and seamless tools for online sales, it likely will not happen.

I am amazed at how little has been realized in regard to the online sales experiance over the last 20 years. It as envisioned to be an immersive experiance with the option to view products from multiple angles and receive highly detailed and accurate information regarding each product, linked in a suite to other products and able to be automatically and easily compared to product offerings from different vendors.

Instead we get an electronic version of competing vendor catalogs, with no automated system to compare and contrast product offerings from different vendors, little detailed product information and a few badly made two dimensional pictures.

Edited by Parker51

Agreed. I just spent a less than satisfactory experience earlier this evening trying to look at Amazon and -- to be perfectly honest -- their search engine is HORRIBLE. I wasn't even looking for something as "exotic" as a fountain pen. I was looking for books by a specific author (I'm currently reading one I don't remember having read in the past, and was looking to see what was available, and reminding myself by reading the synopses as to which ones I had liked and not; but I had specifically been looking for BOOKS. Not videos, not audiobooks or stuff on Kindle. And certainly not stuff by other authors (yet Amazon decided that it knew what was good for me). So I went on their chat line to complain about how awful navigating their site had become and got well-meaning but effectively condescending blather from someone in their so-called "Customer Service" -- which included the CS person saying "Oh, I've had the same problem at times in the past...." My response? "And did YOU contact Customer Service to complain? And if so, why has the site gotten WORSE, not better?"

Frankly, I would have just gone to the library, except that they've been closed till the end of the month -- at least -- because of COVID-19. Plus, something seemed to be wrong with B&N's website as well and I couldn't initiate a search at ALL (got some weird error message in place of the search box), but I checked again just now and it seems to be fixed....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I would always prefer to go in person. I remember going to vintage musical instrument shows in the '90's. The problem, of course, unscrupulous dealers selling instruments without accountablility for their actions later. Online allows the buyer to warn others and leave feedback.

I've never had a problem with eBay or Amazon. If I buy something without doing my due diligence in reading reviews and seller feedback and description, I take responsibility for a poor purchase.

"Respect science, respect nature, respect all people (s),"

So far I only have flight paid for, since that's refundable. I guess the hotel would also be.

But seeing this announcement makes me doubt. Too bad - it was a great show last year.

The new CDC guidance recommends against holding any events or group gatherings of 50 or more people across the U.S., and it notes that this guidance applies for at least the next eight weeks.

I guess I will wait hope that things work out.

"Bad spelling, like bad grammar, is an offense against society."

- - Good Form Letter Writing, by Arthur Wentworth Eaton, B.A. (Harvard);  © 1890

Their new post on Instagram and their website says show will be delayed until June 11 - 14

Edited by whichwatch

Wow, if things work out June will be a very busy month with three pens shows: Raleigh, Chicago and St. Louis.

This is ridiculous. Like it's the Bubonic Plague. I wonder if the venue will have toilet paper by then?

I can assure you that we may we’ll be in a more scenario of we did to little to late.

I truly doubt the show was cancelled because the hotel is out of TP. Also note the show was not given a choice.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Actually, commercial enterprises have plenty of toilet paper as they receive toilet paper in bulk from their suppliers and don't hoard it, especially if they are closed and not using it.

There is no need for there to be a shortage of toilet paper due to a lack of production and supply, the problem is people buying much more than they need for their homes and accumulating enough for several weeks to several months.

And, no it is not like bubonic plague, very different vectors, very different effect and today we have very different societies with very different values, knowledge and resources than when the bubonic plague decimated the world.