Sheaffer Pens Used In Schools, Circa Mid 1960S.

markofp

This is a long shot, but I am wondering what models of Sheaffer fountain pens would have possibly been school-issued to be used by an elementary school student, let's say circa 1964 or 65. I am literally "asking for a friend" in this case, she remembers them as cartridge fillers, which she loaded with Sheaffer Peacock Blue. I'd love to find one to give to her. She also remembers them as available in various colors.

All help appreciated!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sailor Kenshin

• AmericanMonk

• inkstainedruth

• Estycollector

+1 to Anderglan

If you follow the link in the second post above but look at the *second* photograph you'll see two pens; one clear school pen and one transparent red cartridge pen. These are the pens I remember from the early 1960's.

Edited by OCArt

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

But a 1964-65 school kid would still have to wait 4 to 5 years before the Sheaffer No-Nonsense or Viewpoint appeared ...

A 1964-65 Sheaffer cartridge pen could look like the red $1.95 pen with hooded nib shown in this 1964 ad (this pen was introduced in the early 1960s):

fpn_1584088442__s1964.jpg

In 1964, Sheaffer introduced the so called "1 dollar" cartridge pen. The earliest version of this "1 dollar pen" had an open nib and a pyramidal cap and barrel top like the one shown in this past ebay auction:

fpn_1584090357__s1964sp.jpg

At least where and when I grew up in Minnesota in the 50s, schools did not issue fountain pens. I did have a pen like the one above (the orange one, but clear) in the 6th grade (1959 - 1960), but I bought it myself. In a class of about 30 students, only one other student used a fountain pen. Further, I don't recall that my schools ever issued ANY writing instruments.

Finding a school pen should be very easy.

Edited by Charles Rice

I went to grade school in the Philly area in early/mid 60s, and I had a clear and maybe a black version of the orange Sheaffer school pen above. Around that time, I think I also had a green, semi-hooded Sheaffer cartridge fp made out of a soft plastic. I (or, rather, my parents) bought me the pens; however, I assume that the school would've stipulated or recommended what supplies we should get. I vividly recall being fascinated with the Sheaffer ink bottles with the built-in reservoirs (I was really into Peacock Blue). I also had several colors of Penit ink in the small, faceted glass bottles. At some point, we students all shifted to Bic Cristal ballpoint pens. Every so often, I would put one of them in my shirt or blazer pocket upside down. By the time I got home at the end of the day, ink would've run out of the Bic (in the heat?) and stained my shirt. Fountain pen or ballpoint, my mother couldn't catch a break in terms of ink-related messes.

There are a number of possibilities for a a mid 60s Sheaffer, I had a grey Sheaffer Dolphin at this time, popular enough but if the key memory is a large choice of colors then the Sheaffer School pen with the chrome cap is most likely candidate.

In fairness, this pen is not Sheaffers finest hour but if the purpose is to walk down Memory Lane then it should do the job.

There are a number of possibilities for a a mid 60s Sheaffer, I had a grey Sheaffer Dolphin at this time, popular enough but if the key memory is a large choice of colors then the Sheaffer School pen with the chrome cap is most likely candidate.

In fairness, this pen is not Sheaffers finest hour but if the purpose is to walk down Memory Lane then it should do the job.

Some apparently think the Parker 21 to be a student grade, but I am not convinced this is a valid appraisal. I suppose there are variances in nib quality. That said, thin or cheap plastic does not a pen make.

Edited by Estycollector

"Respect science, respect nature, respect all people (s),"

Blister packs of cheap cartridge pens with steel nibs bought at a five and dime, variety or grocery store. I had them and have some now. I also had some other brands which had cartridge convertors. No "good" pens until adulthood, except the Snorkel of my father's that he had received about ten years before I was born that I played with, but did not ink up and as it needed a new sack. Perhaps not coincidently, that pen needs resacked again, the last sack lasted only about twenty years.

Edited by Parker51

Very likely your friend is remembering one of the variations of the Sheaffer Dollar pen. I had one in school (translucent yellow!) and now have a small collection of these excellent little writers.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

Blister packs of cheap cartridge pens with steel nibs bought at a five and dime, variety or grocery store. I had them and have some now. I also had some other brands which had cartridge convertors. No "good" pens until adulthood, except the Snorkel of my father's that he had received about ten years before I was born that I played with, but did not ink up and as it needed a new sack. Perhaps not coincidently, that pen needs resacked again, the last sack lasted only about twenty years.

I'm on the fence regarding snorkel pens. It seems more symbolism than substance.

"Respect science, respect nature, respect all people (s),"

I'm on the fence regarding snorkel pens. It seems more symbolism than substance.

I guess, supposedly to keep you from having to dip the ENTIRE nib into the ink bottle for a fill. ;)

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

There is still no better way after what? sixty years? to get every last drop of ink from the bottle into a pen.

Edited by silverlifter

Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

When I was a kid, my mother had a gray snorkel pen that I found endlessly fascinating . . . but from a distance. No way my mother was going to let me get my hands on that prized possession.

I have had a few Snorkels. I can't make them work. I read the restoration directions, but they don't seem to work. Complicated machinery.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

I used the blue bullet ended school pen (Dollar Pen as some are calling it) and it was "issued" by the school. Peacock Blue ink as well. Early to mid-60's would have been any of the pens in the first layer tray on the left.

fpn_1569444711__sheaffer_school_pens.jpg

I always have one available and inked in Peacock Blue, just because :P

and markofp, they are very available on eBay if you're a little patient and don't buy the first $25 one you see. Cartridges of Peacock Blue will be difficult if not impossible, but the carts are easy to buy... I just empty the boring ink and syringe fill it with bottled PB. If you run into a snag, feel free to pm me.

Edited by BillH

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." -Pablo Picasso

I always have a "school pen" at work on my desk inked with red, and occasionally a second with another color. Can sit for a week or two if I'm out of the office and start writing no problem when I return. Very nice writers, although not much to look at.

Brian

One test is worth a thousand expert opinions.

Bill H: Thanks, that's actually precisely the pen, the transparent blue one above. I'll have to keep an eye out for it! Thanks again!