Favorite Wing Sung?

linkoiram

Now having tried most wing sung pens, I'd like to get some input on all of your favorite Wing sung pens.

I got the 659 today and it is pretty good but the converter is a little weird.

The 618 is overrated imo, the piston didn't work very well for me and immediately it cracked near the piston knob (probably from turning it the wrong way to unscrew) but it is flimsy plastic even compared to the less expensive 659. It wrote very dry as well, though that might have been due to the crack in the barrel.

The 698 is probably the best of the 600 series wing sung for the money, although the 699 is the best overall.

The 3008 with the Lamy style nibs are really good, surprisingly so. The pilot style nib 3008 was terrible though, half of them didn't write.

Haven't tried any other 3000 series pens but I have the 3013 on the way so I can update when I get that.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• linkoiram

• AmandaW

• A Smug Dill

• Honeybadgers

My favorite Wing Sung is the 601A. It's my EDC pen. It looks nice and professional, but is rugged enough to write on anything. It's inexpensive too so I don't worry about losing it as I carry it around.

I also love the 699. Beautiful pen and a great writer.

These are my two favorite Wing Sungs

My favorite Wing Sung is the 601A. It's my EDC pen. It looks nice and professional, but is rugged enough to write on anything. It's inexpensive too so I don't worry about losing it as I carry it around.

I also love the 699. Beautiful pen and a great writer.

These are my two favorite Wing Sungs

Completely forgot about the 601, I don't have the A model but it is about tied with the 698 for me, though the 699 just edges them out.

I've only tried the 699, so that would be my obvious choice. I loved that pen - seemed well made, was hefty but comfortable, and wrote nicely for the most part. One morning I woke up and the barrel was cracked. When I screwed the cap back on, the barrel snapped. I don't know how it happened, but it was a shame. I really liked the pen. Might have to try another one soon.

Got the 3013 today in clear fine nib. I was actually really impressed, the build quality and function was just as good as the 698 for about half the price, really nice.

I've bought three 601's and gave two away. I consider them a quality writing tool.

Edited by Estycollector

"Respect science, respect nature, respect all people (s),"

I love the 601 so much I have three, almost always inked. The 601-A, still trying to like it.

The 300x series is fun.

I can't recall the numbers just now but there's a silver trim extra fine piston demonstrator...the gold is Fine. I use both quite often. Last summer almost exclusively!

And there's something that looks a lot like the Kaweco Sport. The number might be 3007? Fun little writer in nice frosty colors BUT the converter holds maybe two drops of ink, alas.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

My 601A goes from much loved to much loathed depending on the phase of the moon or something else I haven't nailed down. I should have purchased a hooded 601, but haven't. In general, I've always preferred my 600-series to the 3000-series pens, but the 3013 is always in my rotation. I still need to get a 699, and I know the 698 hasn't been dethroned for a lot of people, but for right now the 3013 is my most used (and I therefore assume favourite) Wing Sung.

601 (not the A - that nib is hideous to me, and the normal 601 has a swappable nib for various kinds of fude/architect sizes) is probably tied with the 698 for me.

On balance, I think I'd probably go for the 601 since it posts, but the 698 can take pilot nibs and #5's (and is available with a love soft flexible 14k option for $50,) sooooooo.

The 823 clone is brilliant too.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

• 2 weeks later...

Of the Wing Sungs that I own, from best to worst:

698 Poor man's TWSBI 580 with a better nib

699 Nice but it doesn't feel built as nice as the 698

6359 One of the best values in Chinese pens. I prefer it to the Al-Star

659 Mediocre

3013 Works well when new, but the metal rod corrodes and it develops cracks after just a few weeks of normal use

3008 If you get a good one it's great but it's just as likely to fall apart in your hand as it is to ever cross a 't'

BTW, the 601 makes a wonderful and affordable gift.

"Respect science, respect nature, respect all people (s),"

698. The F nib is deliciously smooth and the screw on cap is very tight. The soft 14k nib is even smoother.

659. I have one of these and is a very good writer, with a tight cap so I can keep it inked for months. After seeing other comments, maybe I was lucky with this pen.

3001. They are essentially the same pen as the 659 but the quality is (as expected) lower. They write well, but you can't put them on a plane, they almost invariably will spill the ink at some point. I usually keep a couple inked at home.

I've tried other Wing Sung pens, but I didn't like any of the others enough to have one inked at the moment.

• 2 weeks later...

Glad to see people praising the 601A. I bought a couple and both turned out to have duff nibs (one bent sideways and one too dry). I've had good luck with the 601, so maybe I'll try again with the 601A from a different supplier. These pens are ideal for the lab and workshop: nice enough to enjoy using, but cheap enough to get knocked about.

I like the model that looks like the Pilot Custom 823. I can't put my finger on the name, but it's clearly an imitation. It holds quite a bit of ink, as it should with that filling system.

The 601 really scratched my itch for a Parker 51, but with a fancy filling mechanism (I don't like the aerometric filler the real 51 comes in, and I don't want to have to service a vacumatic 51 due to inexperience with vintage pens). It also feels extremely comfortable in my hands, credit to Parker for the streamlined design.

• 4 weeks later...

I prefer the 3008, a fuss free piston filler. Once you change the screw in the cap which tends to rust, and the nib with a nice Lamy, you have a good pen.

698 with a Plumix F. Sturdy and reliable. I returned the M205 Demonstrator in its favour.

Add lightness and simplicate.