Love The Pentel Energel Rollerball Refill - What Fits It?

I love the Pentel EnerGel rollerballs. But is there a fine pen that takes this refill without having to adapt it? Needs to be a pen that has weight and elegance. I would prefer a twist or push button pen (capless) but would also consider a capped rollerball. Thanks!

Current favorite pen: Montblanc 144 Meisterstuck purchased at Art Brown in 1984. After decades, every part has been replaced except the nib. Still a gorgeous writing instrument, rock-solid reliable, gives me hours of pleasure to use.

Current favorite ink: Colorverse Supernovs

Current favorite paper: Romeo notepads

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GNL

• RNHC

• flatline

• BHall

Top Posters In This Topic

You have lots of options.

There are metal Energel pens, both clicky and twisty in a variety of colors. Obviously, they take the Energel refill.

The Energel refill is a pretty standard geometry, so if you like the metal Zebra Sarasa clicky, or any of the Uniball Signo pens, you can put an Energel refill in them with no trouble at all. Every refillable capped rollerball pen I've tried has fit the Energel just fine, but dealing with a cap is inconvenient sometimes.

I happen to like the Zebra Sarasa clicky. I have the blue metallic body with an blue Energel F refill in it. Very nice to use and looks great as well.

But does anyone know if the Pentel EnerGel refill will fit in an expensive fine rollerball like a Montblanc, a Waterman, Cross, etc.?

Edited by GNL

Current favorite pen: Montblanc 144 Meisterstuck purchased at Art Brown in 1984. After decades, every part has been replaced except the nib. Still a gorgeous writing instrument, rock-solid reliable, gives me hours of pleasure to use.

But does anyone know if the Pentel EnerGel refill will fit in an expensive fine rollerball like a Montblanc, a Waterman, Cross, etc.?

I recall I used to put a non-MONTBLANC-rollerball refill into my MONTBLANC rollerball, but I haven't seen my MONTBLANC rollerball in years -- maybe it's in one of my children's rooms, or somewhere in a cellar vault (haha, some would say I've just made a vitriolic joke, look where I live!), I HAVE NO IDEA, so this time, I cannot help you :)

all välgång
Alexander W.–G.

I recall I used to put a non-MONTBLANC-rollerball refill into my MONTBLANC rollerball, but I haven't seen my MONTBLANC rollerball in years -- maybe it's in one of my children's rooms, or somewhere in a cellar vault (haha, some would say I've just made a vitriolic joke, look where I live!), I HAVE NO IDEA, so this time, I cannot help you :)

Ha! Well, thanks anyway!

Edited by GNL

• 3 weeks later...

Same as G2. Waterman, Rotring 600, Ohto, and vintage Montblanc Slimline rollerball for capped pens.

For click pens, it's slightly different. Older Tactile Turn needed slight modification but I hear the current Tactile Turn pens can take it unmodified. Big I Design pens can also take Energel unmodified.

But for the cheapest metal body option, you can't beat the in-house Energel Alloy pens.

Edited by RNHC

Strangely a Pilot G2 refill won't work in my Pentel Energel. They nearly fit but won't extend and allow the click action to operate.

I like the the Energel refills and have an Energel pen but it is a little light for me. At present I am using these refills in 2 Lamy non clicky pens but looking for a metal pen a bit more robust with the heft of a Zebra F-401.

Pilot refills are slightly bigger than most other brands. You can put an energel refill to a pilot host, but you can't put a pilot refill into most other brands' hosts.

Pilot refills are slightly bigger than most other brands. You can put an energel refill to a pilot host, but you can't put a pilot refill into most other brands' hosts.

I can use the Pilot V-ball RT in rollerball pens for Waterman, Montblanc, Parker, and Levenger, among others. The Waterman and Levenger can simply be dropped in. The Montblanc requires the refill to be screwed in, but since the Pilot V-ball section is plastic it is pretty easy to do. The Parker rollerball requires a small amount of wadding down the back end of the barrel. But otherwise, all of those brands work.

Edited by Danny Kaffee

Read somewhere that TUL pens from Office Max can take Energel refills without modification. Ordered TUL fine writing ballpoint pen with metal barrel. It's true. Now I have a nicer pen under $20 that takes Energel. It has a satisfyingly audible click as well.

The Pentel Libretto is a nice roller ball pen made for the Energel refill. Amazon sells it in a set with a matching Pentel pencil for less than $30. It is a great looking set for a steal. The Pentel Style (also sold as the Philography) is a nice twist advance pen that is easily on par with Cross Century in my opinion. Both are excellent looking, well made pens.

Adam

Dayton, OH

It is the glory of God to conceal a matter; to search out a matter is the glory of kings.

-- Prov 25:2

Pentel's own Philography is a quality, metal body twist pen.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LRWIJXO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you don't mind slicing a tiny sliver off from the top, it will fit a bunch of other pens as well. I've personally used in in a Karas Kustoms G2, a Lamy Accent and a bunch obscure little machined metal pens.

-k