The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Why Some Of Us Hold Little Or No Interest In Vintage Pens

we being hobbyists no us-and-them here unless you insist

• Please log in to reply
156 replies to this topic

#141 gary

gary

Kalamazoo direct to you

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,283 posts

Posted 29 March 2020 - 13:23

The end of that post, of course.

Whew! That was a close call.

Sponsored Content

#142 Addertooth

Addertooth

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 March 2020 - 13:29

"I've never received a reply disparaging any interest of or a buying decision I've made. Not one comment saying I have not lived if I haven't used a Parker 51 or Sheaffer Snorkel."

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Humor*  Of course not, there are other pens which would earn that honor.  

#143 Estycollector

Estycollector

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 March 2020 - 13:44

??

#144 Astron

Astron

Ex astris scientia.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,489 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 March 2020 - 15:41

Whew! That was a close call.

You seem very passive aggressive. You should take a walk. ;)

Edited by Astron, 29 March 2020 - 15:43.

#145 gary

gary

Kalamazoo direct to you

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,283 posts

Posted 29 March 2020 - 21:13

You seem very passive aggressive. You should take a walk. ;)

No walk, but chocolate in medicinal quantity.

Been called worse, but no more accurately.

#146 Astron

Astron

Ex astris scientia.

• Member - Gold

• 1,489 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 March 2020 - 21:31

No walk, but chocolate in medicinal quantity.

Been called worse, but no more accurately.

Chocolate might be indeed the best solution right now. Especially considering all those curfews.

#147 bemon

bemon

Brent

• Member - Gold

• 830 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 March 2020 - 17:52

As for me, I don’t want anything that shows someone else’s wear. If something I buy new develops wear from my own use that’s ok. That’s part of the ownership experience. I also don’t have any interest in vintage filling systems. Seems like a novelty to me. In fact I’m a huge C/C fan. Some of my ECD pens are piston fillers, but to me that’s just a maintenance headache down the road. 

So I buy new because I like the look, feel and smell of new materials and packaging. Plus I like the simplicity of knowing something is supposed to write out the box. Sometimes it doesn’t and that’s another story of course. 

#148 N1003U

N1003U

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 March 2020 - 20:50

Well I keep looking at those Pelikan pen holders/displays with the holes in the beak....  :rolleyes:  But then I look at the price tags.... :( 
Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

I am with you here. I have a fantasy of finding one of those Pelikan display birds somewhere at a flea market or garage sale for a few bucks, but so far, no luck. I have one of those little ceramic versions with a pen a slot at the feet, but that came as a gift.

Edited by N1003U, 30 March 2020 - 20:57.

#149 Estycollector

Estycollector

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 March 2020 - 21:11

As for me, I don’t want anything that shows someone else’s wear. If something I buy new develops wear from my own use that’s ok. That’s part of the ownership experience. I also don’t have any interest in vintage filling systems. Seems like a novelty to me. In fact I’m a huge C/C fan. Some of my ECD pens are piston fillers, but to me that’s just a maintenance headache down the road. 

So I buy new because I like the look, feel and smell of new materials and packaging. Plus I like the simplicity of knowing something is supposed to write out the box. Sometimes it doesn’t and that’s another story of course. 

I'm inspecting my collection of restored Esterbrooks. I see no residual of a long dead user. Mother's metal polish pretty much destroys those pesky folk's usage. 

I smelled my 2017 I got late last year, no smell. I just smelled the '32 Dollar Esty and it does reek of burnt tires. 

#150 Carguy

Carguy

Hardcore Pen Junkie

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 30 March 2020 - 21:21

I'm inspecting my collection of restored Esterbrooks. I see no residual of a long dead user. Mother's metal polish pretty much destroys those pesky folk's usage. 

I smelled my 2017 I got late last year, no smell. I just smelled the '32 Dollar Esty and it does reek of burnt tires.

Burnt tires LOL! I think mine smells of rhubarbs, but it’s not a ‘32 either.....

#151 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,032 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 March 2020 - 23:03

I am with you here. I have a fantasy of finding one of those Pelikan display birds somewhere at a flea market or garage sale for a few bucks, but so far, no luck. I have one of those little ceramic versions with a pen a slot at the feet, but that came as a gift.

I have two of the small ones.  The first one I got at a pen show and is metallic gold glaze.  The second one I got a few years later at Fountain Pen Hospital in NYC, and is sort of creamy white colored.  I would trade both of them away in a heartbeat to get one of the blue glazed ones (which I saw as display pieces only at another table before I got the metallic gold one (sadly the blue ones were not for sale).  But the prices at this point?  Not willing to pay that much for something that is basically an ornament -- I don't actually USE them as pen holders.  :blush:  They get their photos taken once a year (along with a couple of Wade Whimsey pelicans and some other random tchotchkes -- everything from a miniature "lucky cat" with a battery operated arm, to the ceramic Kleiban's cat Christmas tree ornament I bought at a moving sale -- at the annual local Pelican hub.  

I keep looking at the big ones, but the really interesting ones are the color ones (especially the more angular designs) and they're horribly expensive.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

Edited by inkstainedruth, 30 March 2020 - 23:03.

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#152 bemon

bemon

Brent

• Member - Gold

• 830 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 March 2020 - 16:45

I should say that generally new pens don’t have a smell. But every time I get a new Edison it’s got a distinct smell. Not foul like Noodlers, but something left over from the machining or polishing process I guess.

I picked up another Collier a few months ago and it’s still got a little bit of that smell left. I was just using it before I posted which is what made me reference “smell”. 

But generally I don’t like used anything. I’ve bought used cars in the past because it fit my budget, but generally anything smaller I can afford new. It’s an preference. 

#153 Estycollector

Estycollector

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 March 2020 - 16:57

I should say that generally new pens don’t have a smell. But every time I get a new Edison it’s got a distinct smell. Not foul like Noodlers, but something left over from the machining or polishing process I guess.

I picked up another Collier a few months ago and it’s still got a little bit of that smell left. I was just using it before I posted which is what made me reference “smell”. 

But generally I don’t like used anything. I’ve bought used cars in the past because it fit my budget, but generally anything smaller I can afford new. It’s an preference. 

I've been able to acquire two never filled with ink fountain pens. Both from then early to mid 1950's. Its a special experience. 

#154 bemon

bemon

Brent

• Member - Gold

• 830 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 March 2020 - 17:12

I've been able to acquire two never filled with ink fountain pens. Both from then early to mid 1950's. Its a special experience. 

That’s pretty cool. And I have a handful of pre-owned pens. But I chose them because they were in brand new condition. 

About 6 months ago someone was liquidating his pen collection on Kijiji. His pens were all pristine, and all current vintage. So in that case I snapped up a few. 

I also ordered my Cross Peerless second hand because I wanted the pen but didn’t want to buy directly from Cross. Other than a missing converter the pen was in new condition. 

I think it’s just something about vintage products that doesn’t appeal to me. In general. 

#155 Estycollector

Estycollector

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 March 2020 - 19:53

That’s pretty cool. And I have a handful of pre-owned pens. But I chose them because they were in brand new condition. 

About 6 months ago someone was liquidating his pen collection on Kijiji. His pens were all pristine, and all current vintage. So in that case I snapped up a few. 

I also ordered my Cross Peerless second hand because I wanted the pen but didn’t want to buy directly from Cross. Other than a missing converter the pen was in new condition. 

I think it’s just something about vintage products that doesn’t appeal to me. In general. 

The Cross Peerless look very classic. What nib did you chose? 

#156 bemon

bemon

Brent

• Member - Gold

• 830 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 March 2020 - 22:49

The Cross Peerless look very classic. What nib did you chose? 

I found more or less exactly what I was looking for. I was originally thinking Medalist in broad back when I put this pen on my list. I could never find one and maybe Sailor doesn't make a broad for it. 

Someone had the Medalist with a zoom nib up for sale. I'd never tried a zoom nib before so I thought I'd give it a shot. The price was right and I like it. 

Edited by bemon, 31 March 2020 - 22:50.

#157 Honeybadgers

Honeybadgers

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,424 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 April 2020 - 08:29

Burnt tires LOL! I think mine smells of rhubarbs, but it’s not a ‘32 either.....

Fresh ebonite smells like burnt rubber.

I'm weird, but I grew up on a race track. Burnt rubber is literally my favorite smell on earth.

I hate burnt clutch though.

Edited by Honeybadgers, 01 April 2020 - 08:29.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: we, being, hobbyists, no us-and-them here, unless you insist

Sponsored Content

|