The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Different Brands Of Converters. Which Is The Best?

jinhao baoer converter

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 linkoiram

linkoiram

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 March 2020 - 20:38

I laughed today because I got some extra converters in the mail and they came in a jinhao box and I open up the box and get some baoer branded converters. I have ordered from this seller on aliexpress before and got a slightly different converter last time. I was wondering if anyone had any input on which chinese pen brand has the best converters. Should I stick to only using jinhao converters in jinhao pens, etc? 

The Jinhao converters hold the most ink but have no agitator (in pic related I added a small ball bearing to act as one)

The baoer converter has an agitator (spring in one, small bead in another) but doesn't hold much ink and in some jinhao pens it doesn't fit as well in my experience. Funny enough one has no branding whatsoever, the baoer converter that has branding has the best twist action of the lot, the jinhao the worst.

I've also bought baoer pens with unbranded jinhao style converters so it seems it is luck of the draw with what type you get.

Attached Images

• IMG_20200309_143134578.jpg

Edited by linkoiram, 09 March 2020 - 21:11.

Sponsored Content

#2 Ted A

Ted A

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,458 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 March 2020 - 02:08

One thing you have to be careful of is the diameter of the opening. Many Chinese pens have a nipple that is larger than standard international.

To hold a pen is to be at war. - Voltaire

#3 Mech-for-i

Mech-for-i

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,247 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 March 2020 - 21:33

Well Baoer and jinhao come from the same Mfr so that's not a surprise ... yes Chinese fountain pen can had new comers fuming over why this and that with converters but  its just a matter of knowing there is no one standard that's standard ( and even the so call international standard is not a standard )

#4 smitbret

smitbret

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 March 2020 - 04:40

The JinHao converters with the bronze, metal band are my favorites of the Chinese converters but I would never actually pay for one that didn't already come with a pen. You are much better off getting a Schmidt K5 converter and saving yourself the headache/heartache.

#5 tamiya

tamiya

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,426 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 March 2020 - 05:42

yea the bronze collared ones are handy if you want to add a little tail weight to your pen.

Otherwise they all work the same, some cheap ones crack or fall apart faster but they still work long enough to provide ok value.

#6 Mulrich

Mulrich

Modern Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,709 posts

Posted 14 April 2020 - 19:23

I like the MB converter, mainly because it has an agitator. 

#7 Ardakilic

Ardakilic

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 April 2020 - 12:29

I had never bought converters directly, but bought cheap pens to tinker with, and to salvage nibs and converters  :lol: I had bought some Jinhao 991s at $0.59 back in black friday 2018 if I recall correctly. All converters work great (they are in Pilot MR and other pens), and I'm still using some of these nibs even today on other pens.

The converters were like the 1st photo on the left (that looks separate from other two converters), with metal collar, and with Jinhao branding on the back side where you screw to push/pull the ink. So these converters definitely worth the value!

#8 fabri00

fabri00

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,243 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 April 2020 - 17:39

The problem of Chinese converters is that they are cylindrical and be a use of that they do not fit in several pens.
Many pens need c0nverters with the end part of the body smaller in diameter, like a cartridge.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: jinhao, baoer, converter

Sponsored Content

|