The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Parker 88 With Urushi Laquer Finish

parker urushi urushi lacquer parker 88 88

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 longhandwriter

longhandwriter

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 March 2020 - 13:22

IMG_3523.jpeg Hello and as usual I am looking for help, in this case to identify the finish on a Parker 88. The pen was made in the UK and has a IIL date code, so second qtr 1993.

The pen has a green lacquer finish over a metal barrel and the gold splash is sitting on top of this finish and is not, as has been suggested to me, breaking through from underneath the green. This is not 'brassing' as the gold is three dimensional and under 10X magnification this can clearly be seen.

If anyone knows what the finish is called or has seen it it before I would be very pleased to be advised

Many thanks in advance for any information you may have.

IMG_3524 (1).jpeg IMG_3525 (1).jpeg IMG_3526 (1).jpeg

Sponsored Content

#2 Joane

Joane

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,741 posts

Posted 08 March 2020 - 14:57

Judging by the photos that looks like it could be Vison Foncé. It was a finish used for some other models too like Sonnet and the Premiere of that time.
Happiness is a real Montblanc...

#3 baz666

baz666

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 08 March 2020 - 21:27

Lacquer Gold Dust,  also available in black.

Google brings up some results.

#4 Joane

Joane

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,741 posts

Posted 08 March 2020 - 22:50

Lacquer Gold Dust,  also available in black.

Google brings up some results.

Are the Lacquer Gold Dust and Vison Foncé (Chinese Lacquer) two different finishes?

Happiness is a real Montblanc...

#5 longhandwriter

longhandwriter

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 March 2020 - 10:07

I have done a bit of research based on the helpful information I have received. The pen does indeed look like the Vision Foncé (dark vision) finish, but the pictures I have seen on the web show the finish on dark coloured pens, usually brown - hence dark vision. The pen I have is in a mid green colour and I have not managed to find a picture of it anywhere. Almost all the pens with this finish are Sonnets and I believe that I have either seen or owned one or more of these pens in the past, although they were described as Chinese Laque with no mention of the gold

The Gold Dust finish which is mentioned is I think a generic name made up to describe the finish although I am not certain of this. In any event I am going to contact a representative of Parker and ask if they can identify this exact colour and pattern.

Many thanks to all who have replied to my question

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: parker, urushi, urushi lacquer, parker 88, 88

Sponsored Content

|