My Pelikan M600 Violet And White's Cap Isn't Posting Securely

DilettanteG

So, as you all may know, I love my new M600 Violet and White with an EF nib with a whole hearted, perfect love at first sight kind of feeling. However, I only really find it comfortable to write with when the cap is posted due to my gigantic man sized hands. (Someone in planning didn't get note that I'm a 5'4" woman and they appear to have assembled me out of left over parts.) The cap posts loosely and I'm afraid one too vigorous phrase and I shall send it sailing across the room to an early death.

So, is this just a manufacturer's defect that I'd have to sent it back from California to Cult Pens in the UK to correct, or is there an easier alternative I can try? (FYI: bought it at Cult Pens a couple of weeks back.)

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DilettanteG

• N1003U

• aimi

• inkstainedruth

I had the same problem with my M205 Star Ruby. The cap just would not post tightly at all. I talked with Abi Weeks at Chartpak (they are the US distributor for Pelikan) and she was extremely helpful. I highly recommend you contact her (see contact info below) and discuss your problem with her. The ultimate solution was she sent my pen back to Germany, which replaced the barrel and cap. Sometimes, if ChartPak has spare parts, they can do the replacement here in the US without having to send to Germany.

Since you bought your pen from Cult, it may be you have to send it back to them, but Abi will be able to advise you if that's the case.

Good luck...it's a very aggravating problem, I know.

Doug

Abi

Ms. Abigail Weeks,

CHARTPAK, INC.

Customer Service Department ~ Tel. 413-584-5446 x 240 or 1-800-628-1910 (EASTERN TIME from 8 am to 4:30 pm).

"History Teaches us that men and nations behave wisely once they have exhausted all other alternatives." Abba Eban

I had the same problem with my M205 Star Ruby. The cap just would not post tightly at all. I talked with Abi Weeks at Chartpak (they are the US distributor for Pelikan) and she was extremely helpful. I highly recommend you contact her (see contact info below) and discuss your problem with her. The ultimate solution was she sent my pen back to Germany, which replaced the barrel and cap. Sometimes, if ChartPak has spare parts, they can do the replacement here in the US without having to send to Germany.

Since you bought your pen from Cult, it may be you have to send it back to them, but Abi will be able to advise you if that's the case.

Good luck...it's a very aggravating problem, I know.

Doug

Abi

Ms. Abigail Weeks,

CHARTPAK, INC.

Customer Service Department ~ Tel. 413-584-5446 x 240 or 1-800-628-1910 (EASTERN TIME from 8 am to 4:30 pm).

Thanks Doug!

And I should correct my earlier post as I seem to have bought it from Amazon Global UK., not Cult Pens. I'll contact Ms. Weeks and see what can done. I think I'll need to stop buying pens just because that makes five pens in need of help. Only one Pelikan down though, thank goodness!

I just checked my Violet and White -- it posts well. But I had a Noodler's Konrad that would not post -- even though I have no problems at all posting my other Konrads. I will have to try and remember which one it is, and to bring it with me if I go to the Commonwealth Show next fall to show to Nathan Tardif at the Noodler's table. I keep thinking that it's as simple as something isn't sitting right inside the cap, but haven't figured out what. And it's been like that since I got the pen.

I'm a poster, so lack of postability is a serious flaw (and it drives me crazy because all my OTHER Noodler's pens, I have zero problems with posting.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I just checked my Violet and White -- it posts well. But I had a Noodler's Konrad that would not post -- even though I have no problems at all posting my other Konrads. I will have to try and remember which one it is, and to bring it with me if I go to the Commonwealth Show next fall to show to Nathan Tardif at the Noodler's table. I keep thinking that it's as simple as something isn't sitting right inside the cap, but haven't figured out what. And it's been like that since I got the pen.

I'm a poster, so lack of postability is a serious flaw (and it drives me crazy because all my OTHER Noodler's pens, I have zero problems with posting.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

Sounds like something that needs to be replaced rather than fixed. I guess I'd better deal with it while parts are still available.

Edit: Just a note to myself, it looks like I can return it thru March 20th via Amazon US. But I really love that nib. Hmmm.

Another data point: mine posts well, too. Sounds like really bad luck--my experience with Pelikan has been extremely good over the years.

Edited by N1003U

Thanks Doug!

And I should correct my earlier post as I seem to have bought it from Amazon Global UK., not Cult Pens. I'll contact Ms. Weeks and see what can done. I think I'll need to stop buying pens just because that makes five pens in need of help. Only one Pelikan down though, thank goodness!

If you bought it from Amazon Global UK, I highly doubt there is anything Abi can do. They only offer warranty service for Pelikan pens bought from authorized dealers in the USA. I'd contact Amazon.

Thanks for the advice guys. Fortunately, the return window is still open at Amazon UK, but I have pay for return shipping. Oh well, win some, lose some. I already have a replacement on the way from Cult Pens in the UK. Hopefully the nib will be as nice as the one I'm sending back.

I tossed in some Pelikan inks too, might as well take advantage of the free shipping and cheaper prices for those inks abroad.

Sounds like you worked out a solution. I had a similar problem with an M800 many years ago. I solved it by cutting a small (1/2 inch) strip of the sticky part of a post-it and sticking it inside the cap, about an inch from the lip. It wasn’t visible and did no harm to the pen, as it could be easily removed. The pressure from the barrel, whether posted or closed, kept the strip from falling out and the added thickness of the cap inner wall created a nice snug fit when posted. Getting a properly fitting cap is obviously the better solution, but my little hack could provide a temporary fix until an exchange can be arranged.

Thanks for the advice guys. Fortunately, the return window is still open at Amazon UK, but I have pay for return shipping. Oh well, win some, lose some. I already have a replacement on the way from Cult Pens in the UK. Hopefully the nib will be as nice as the one I'm sending back.

I tossed in some Pelikan inks too, might as well take advantage of the free shipping and cheaper prices for those inks abroad.

Am I getting this right? You bought the pen from Amazon UK but Cult Pens is sending you a replacement. Thats really nice of Cult pens!

My violet does not post as well as my M605 white transparent. I have an M620 that posts even worse. The cap just does not stay on as securely as I like, but it does not fly away. I guess it is a luck thing.

Hope the replacement work alright!

Btw, you can keep the nib when you send the bird back for replacement. I sent my M101n red tortoise back to Niche pens twice for barrel problems, and I kept the nib because it was a custom grind.

Good to know. Actually, simply returning it was the only option I was offered by Amazon UK. The Cult Pens is a separate replacement purchase which should be here tomorrow. The cap just slips right off the Amazon UK one and I will definitely either damage the cap when it falls or lose it entirely if I keep it . None of my other Pelikans, even the cheaper M200s, seem to have this problem. Pretty sure it's a manufacturer's defect, but I guess I'll know for sure when I see how the new one posts.

Otherwise, I'm really enjoying this pen which is currently filled with Diamine for Cult Pens Iridescink Philip. If the new EF nib isn't as silky, I guess I could switch it out with this one? That's why I haven't sent the Amazon UK one back yet. I already bought a matching ballpoint and the Pelikan zipper 2 pen case, so I have to keep one of them! Great little set, but that zipper case is on the small side. Honestly, that zipper case was supposed to be for my new 805 set, even the M600s seem a little too wide.

• 2 weeks later...

So, my new M600 White and Violet arrived from Cult Pens last week. The cap seems just as loose as my other identical pen, so in frustration I jammed the cap on my all pen as hard as I could as it posted securely. I tried the same thing with the new pen with the same result.

Now I have an extra M600 White and Violet which I should probably return, but I'm not willing to brave the post office at the moment. It is nice to have another EF nib, so I've got that going for me.

So, my new M600 White and Violet arrived from Cult Pens last week. The cap seems just as loose as my other identical pen, so in frustration I jammed the cap on my all pen as hard as I could as it posted securely. I tried the same thing with the new pen with the same result.

For what it's worth, I too had the same loose posting on my M600 :o

It seems to be a common problem and I'm not sure why as my M200 and M800 post fine without jamming! :rolleyes:

The other thread had the advice of wax if there was a concern of marring from the harder push. :unsure:

I had a similar problem with one of my M400s and I didn't really do anything about it.

I would suggest contacting the store where you purchased the pen, or Chartpak. Since that pen has to still be in warranty, I'm sure they wouldn't give you any trouble if you send it back to them.

I had a similar problem with one of my M400s and I didn't really do anything about it.

I would suggest contacting the store where you purchased the pen, or Chartpak. Since that pen has to still be in warranty, I'm sure they wouldn't give you any trouble if you send it back to them.

I don't think it's a faulty pen, unless I received two in a row, I just think the Violet M600 takes more force to post securely. Let me know if you guys have had caps that snap easily in to place. At this point I'm just hoping it wears in.

Plus, I'm trying to self isolate as my husband is recently out of the hospital, so no trips to the post office for me. Which also probably means no new pen or ink purchases for awhile.

...Let me know if you guys have had caps that snap easily in to place. At this point I'm just hoping it wears in.

I just checked my wife's M600 Red and it's loose as a goose. :( In fact I cannot even post it, jamming or not, the cap won't get a bite on the barrel. :rolleyes:

But she does not post, so all is well. :D

I just checked my M600 white Tortoise & found that the cap posted securely, without any force. I haven't ever tried to post it as I only post Kaweco Sport pens. Even older vintage pens that are not large pens, I use comfortably without posting.

I am back this week amongst my flock, and I tested a sample of several (N=6, including a Violet-White model) M6xx pens, as well as several various other Souverän-series pens from 4xx to 10xx in size, and a few classic 2xx models. There does appear to be differences in how various pens post, though they all post securely. I haven't hauled out the micrometers yet to do a full analysis (and I don't really plan to), but there certainly are manufacturing variations in the inner diameters of the caps, and also in the outer diameter of the barrels.

There is a slight taper (maybe 0.1mm - 0.2mm) machined onto the back-end of the barrels on the Mxxx pens, and that taper seems, in my sample cases, to be enough to take up the manufacturing tolerances and still post securely. On a couple of pens, I do have to push a little bit (not a lot of force involved, but a distinct push, nonetheless), and I even feel a little bit of chatter as the cap wedges onto the barrel (hello, micro scratches :) ), but there was not a single case where I was unable to securely post a pen. I suppose at the extreme ends of the tolerance bands, it is possible to get a pen/barrel combination that does not post securely, but I was not able to observe it in any of my pens.

Edited by N1003U

I would be careful with the cap... I have the M600 turquoise, and it also posts a tiny bit loosely. For whatever reason, the cap developed a hairline crack one or two months in. Unfortunately I bought the pen while on a trip in Europe and after one failed attempt to send it there to be looked at, I’ve just accepted to not posting for now until I can get a spare cap or other solution. :(

I would be careful with the cap... I have the M600 turquoise, and it also posts a tiny bit loosely. For whatever reason, the cap developed a hairline crack one or two months in. Unfortunately I bought the pen while on a trip in Europe and after one failed attempt to send it there to be looked at, I’ve just accepted to not posting for now until I can get a spare cap or other solution.

I too have had a hairline crack on the cap of my M600 pink after about a year of usage (posted when writing). Since I’m residing in Germany currently, Pelikan sent me a replacement cap free of charge.

Edited by ljz