The Sonnet Cap. Ink Vaporization Problem, Solved.

Eric2018

I got two modern Sonnets, I love these very much.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/348767-parker-sonnets-sterling-metro/

But the ink, after a week or 10 days, it vaporizes (or dry up) inside the cap, all.

Very frustrating.

There are three C shape slits at the top of the cap, and I think they are the windows that vaporize the ink.

So I use a 5 ml syringe to inject some glue inside the slits.

The glue I used is the cheapest transparent one. It is transparent and can be used by a syringe.

And after it drys, it wont leave any stain like grease or oil.

I did it weeks ago and the ink stops vaporize.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hanoi

• TassoBarbasso

• Eric2018

• alexwi

A similar solution to what people have done using epoxy and applying it inside the cap. Whatever you can obtain and use as a sealant.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

The duofold has no drying out issues that I'm aware of.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

• 2 weeks later...

i have 2 recent duofold prestige.

And no drying out issue at all.

It might be that the recent modes fare better in this sense. My Duofold Mosaic (early 2000s I believe) dries up within 2-3 days. If I use faster-evaporating inks such as Noodlers, they evaporate in 1 day :(

If you search for modern duofold drying issue, drying out or ink evaporation, youll find quite a few cases.

Is there any chance you could take a picture of the inside of the cap in your Duofolds? Id like to see if they added an inner cap or something. And if so, maybe I can get one for my Duofold and glue it inside somehow.

• 1 month later...

I've had this problem with the 1990's Sonnet and the 1990's Insignia. I tried the candle wax fix, and it works. But one must be careful in not putting too much melted wax into the cap; too much and your nib picks up dried wax whenever you put the pen into the cap. On an empty pen, it's easy to wipe off. But on a filled pen, it can be a little bit messy.

There is also a procedure involving melted candle wax to seal the gap.

I have used beeswax. Not melted into anything - but sealing holes that I could see from the outside. One frequent location is under, or around, where the clip enters the cap.

One test is to fill the cap with water, and see where it leaks out.

Beeswax is soft enough that with just with the heat from my fingers I could take a small piece and roll it into the right shape to stuff into the hole. Then a little heat, just to soften, not to liquefy, will seal the hole. While I used a heat gun with temperature set low, the limited heat needed means that it should work with a hair dryer.

Test again.

On several pens this has made the difference.

Beeswax melts at a very low temperature - the reason all beehives are fully air conditioned....

If you aren't friends with any local bees, a single candle made from beeswax could fix hundreds of pens.

"Bad spelling, like bad grammar, is an offense against society."

- - Good Form Letter Writing, by Arthur Wentworth Eaton, B.A. (Harvard);  © 1890

And, Mark, don't let anyone tell you to mind your own beeswax about this topic. :lticaptd:

• 3 weeks later...

the sterling one has a hard start problem, but not severe.

I went to the Parker customer service outlet, which is a shop inside a department store and seek for help.

They change a fine nib for me for free!

I also ask for help regarding the vaporisation problem.

He told me the hole in sonnet or some low price IMs cap is not because of the choking issue for air. Its the pressure.

Sonnet and IM are not screw cap, so when you pull the cap out, the ink will spill out from the nib, especially when you pull it fast, so Parker makes the air way to release the pressure during the uncap moment. And there is no holes in modern duofold, because of the screw cap.

• 3 weeks later...

I need to try it!

Any similar hacks for the Parker Duofold?

The problem with the Duofold is that the vent hole, which is under the clip is drilled too high, and goes into the inner cap. That means that there is a direct path for air to get into the inner cap which drys out the nib. The fix is to remove the inner cap, plug the original vent hole, and then drill another farther down below the edge of the inner cap. The bad news - the inner cap is glued in, so tricky to remove.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

10 days to dry out seem like a long enough time. I wonder what is considered an"acceptable" period?

People regularly report preppy's going unused for months and starting right up... and that's a $5 pen. Something as expensive as a Sonnet should be reasonably expected to at least match that performance if not out perform it in my opinion. As i read this thread, i actually said out loud to myself "you shouldn't have to do that to a brand new pen!" In a price/performance comparison, the sonnet isn't looking too good here to me at least.

Just give me the Parker 51s and nobody needs to get hurt.

People regularly report preppy's going unused for months and starting right up... and that's a $5 pen. Something as expensive as a Sonnet should be reasonably expected to at least match that performance if not out perform it in my opinion. As i read this thread, i actually said out loud to myself "you shouldn't have to do that to a brand new pen!" In a price/performance comparison, the sonnet isn't looking too good here to me at least.

I agree. Also, I have found the Sonnet nib, which is flexible, to be a bit thin and subject to scratchiness. To me, it's not a pleasurable nib with which to write. I have found the same with the less-expensive Insignia model, which uses the same type of nib design but gold-plated. The drying-out issue doesn't help.

I have two Parker Sonnet flighters (France, 1990s) and I really don´t notice this quick drying time. But I don´t use them that much to notice anyway. Is quick drying time the case with other Parker models? Which Parker pen has the lowest drying rate?

I've been trying to get a chinese Sonnet knock-off to destroy the cap and figure out how it's constructed, but the ones on auction end up selling for about $40. I don't want to pay more than $5 for one of those.

Alex

---------------------------------------------------------

We use our phones more than our pens.....

and the world is a worse place for it. - markh