The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Cobalt Jazz - No Shimmer

blue diamine

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 AidenMark

AidenMark

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 March 2020 - 20:41

A couple of years ago Diamine brought out a lovely blue shimmer ink "Cobalt Jazz" which was extensively reviewed on this site.

For those not so fond of shimmer, which Diamine ink is closest to the base colour of Cobalt Jazz?

Less is More   - Ludwig Mies van der Rohe

Less is a Bore - Robert Venturi

Sponsored Content

#2 Intensity

Intensity

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,253 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 March 2020 - 01:17

Now that I have 2 Diamine shimmer inks, I can confirm that as long as you don't shake the bottle, almost all the shimmer will be settled at the bottom, and you won't get it into your pen.   Enchanted Ocean wrote like a very somber dark blue-black with a hint of teal and no shimmer whatsoever.  I had to re-fill the pen after shaking the bottle for a half a minute to start seeing the shimmer on paper.  That's despite the bottles having just arrived, fresh from a delivery truck.  It's the same with my J. Herbin shimmer inks--the shimmer settles to the bottom of the bottle unless you shake well before filling your pen.

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

#3 Jarod

Jarod

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 March 2020 - 02:06

[W]hich Diamine ink is closest to the base colour of Cobalt Jazz?

Blue Velvet and Tudor Blue, both from the 150th Anniversary collection, seem close, to my eye. Blue Velvet being brighter and Tudor being richer, my preference lies with Tudor Blue.

You could always decant Cobalt Jazz a few times. You will lose a tiny bit of ink, but the result is worth it. That is what I have done with two of my Herbin inks: Kyanite du Népal and Emerald of Chivor. I don't like shimmering or sheening inks. I solved the shimmering part by decanting them, and because I do not write with nibs which lay down a large and wet line, I see no sheen, not even on Tomoe River paper.

Edited by Jarod, 03 March 2020 - 02:13.

#4 grmbrk

grmbrk

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 March 2020 - 13:09

I would say your best shot is Cobalt Jazz. Yes, the same ink. Just let the shimmer settle on the bottom or speed up the process applying centripetal force, then use a siringe and collec the shimmer-free ink.

#5 A Smug Dill

A Smug Dill

中澳美皆無關痛癢

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,046 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 March 2020 - 13:26

... speed up the process applying centripetal force ...

Awesome suggestion!  :lol:

Too bad for me, I only have a front-loader and not a top-loader for a washing machine.  :wacko:

Edit: My mistake. I thought you were talking about applying centrifugal force!

Edited by A Smug Dill, 03 March 2020 - 13:58.

As always:  1. Implicit in everything and every instance I write on FPN is the invitation for you to judge me as a peer in the community. I think it's only due respect to take each other's written word in online discussion seriously and apply critical judgment.  2. I do not presume to judge for you what is right, correct or valid. If I make a claim, or refute a statement in a thread, and link to references and other information in support, I beseech you to review and consider those, and judge for yourself. I may be wrong. My position or say-so carries no more weight than anyone else's here, and external parties can speak for themselves with what they have published.  3. I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable. If it is something you can test for yourself and see the results, I entreat you to do so.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: blue, diamine

Sponsored Content

|