Ranga 3C

Mr5x5

I don't have a lot of experience with Indian pens or fountain pens in general compared to most. I started writing with them because of carpal tunnel issues and have found the larger pens are helpful. I purchased the 3C back in the last group buy and have been mostly pleased. The pen is very well made, comfortable to write with and an excellent value. My disappointment is because I ordered an eye-dropper. Never having used one I thought I would try it out. What I have found is that I don't write enough to make it a sensible pen for me. At least I gave it a try. I would recommend these pens as an excellent value. Now I need to decide whether to shove it in a drawer for my heirs or sell it/

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sansenri

• MuddyWaters

• Mr5x5

• mhguda

I don't have a lot of experience with Indian pens or fountain pens in general compared to most. I started writing with them because of carpal tunnel issues and have found the larger pens are helpful. I purchased the 3C back in the last group buy and have been mostly pleased. The pen is very well made, comfortable to write with and an excellent value. My disappointment is because I ordered an eye-dropper. Never having used one I thought I would try it out. What I have found is that I don't write enough to make it a sensible pen for me. At least I gave it a try. I would recommend these pens as an excellent value. Now I need to decide whether to shove it in a drawer for my heirs or sell it/

what would you exactly mean by "I don't write enough to make it a sensible pen for me"?

Too much ink in it due to being eye dropper (ED)?

It's an odd worry.

Perhaps an ED is not the best pen to carry around but it makes a wonderful desk pen.

I own several Ranga pens, some of them in ED, and they are wonderful writers.

One of them I usually keep full, placed in horizontal position on my desk (so that the ebonite feed is continuously soaked in ink) and I can use it every day for months, for short notes when needed, without it ever drying out or running out of ink.

The difference between the same Ranga pen in ED or CC (cartridge-converter) is ink flow, which is usually better in ED.

If I want to take a Ranga pen around I pick a CC version (safer on the go), but at my desk I much prefer to use the ED...

The difference is subtle but it's there, IMO.

Unless cost is an issue, I'd probably get another Ranga in CC to compare.

The model 3 (flat top) is also very nice, btw. Check the resin group buy that should still be on now.

here is my model 3 from the current group buy (these are only available in CC)

fpn_1581119247__p1190036-3_ranga_3_red_b

what would you exactly mean by "I don't write enough to make it a sensible pen for me"?

Too much ink in it due to being eye dropper (ED)?

It's an odd worry.

Perhaps an ED is not the best pen to carry around but it makes a wonderful desk pen.

I own several Ranga pens, some of them in ED, and they are wonderful writers.

One of them I usually keep full, placed in horizontal position on my desk (so that the ebonite feed is continuously soaked in ink) and I can use it every day for months, for short notes when needed, without it ever drying out or running out of ink.

The difference between the same Ranga pen in ED or CC (cartridge-converter) is ink flow, which is usually better in ED.

If I want to take a Ranga pen around I pick a CC version (safer on the go), but at my desk I much prefer to use the ED...

The difference is subtle but it's there, IMO.

Unless cost is an issue, I'd probably get another Ranga in CC to compare.

The model 3 (flat top) is also very nice, btw. Check the resin group buy that should still be on now.

here is my model 3 from the current group buy (these are only available in CC)

With the nature of my job I can go weeks before I am back in the office and have found that there is often enough ink in the cap after this period that I end up rinsing out the cap and cleaning ink off the section and my fingers. My guess is it has to do with the ebonite feed being wet, along with fluctuating temperatures in the office (morning sun warms the office, minimal heat all afternoon and through the night). I could be wrong and it wouldn't be the first time as Mrs.5x5 would happily point out. I just know that I end up cleaning up more ink than I end up putting on paper. When I do write with the pen I am very satisfied and will eventually get another 3C like this but set up for c/c. If I sell my current one, it will be sooner, though my daughter really seems to like it. She may get it and I will have to wait until discretionary funds are available.

Very nice looking pen you have there. The acrylics are very attractive.

that sounds unusual, you should not find ink in the cap unless you rare tossing the pen around, in such case it might be, because ED pens are sort of less restrained vs ink flow.

Temperature sudden changes could also cause that, but they would really need to be steep.

Do you store it horizontal or nib up? (both will work depending on preference, I prefer horizontal but I don't have steep temperature changes in my home).

The c/c is likely to solve your issues in case you decide.

I only consider the c/c version more ordinary (consider that the writing engine is a Bock or Jowo nib group (nib+feed+collar) directly attached to a converter. The body of the pen has practically no influence on the performance, what writes is nib group+converter combo, which means your pen will write like any other pen that has the same nib group + converter combo...)

The EDs are usually unique, the pen body influences the behaviour, the nib is friction fit with a matching feed. Just more fun :) (with the odd burping to take into account...).

one of my 3C, this is standard ebonite olive ripple (with a Ruthenium coated B nib)

fpn_1583172794__p1180776-3_ranga_3c_oliv

Edited by sansenri

Temperature sudden changes could also cause that, but they would really need to be steep.

Do you store it horizontal or nib up? (both will work depending on preference, I prefer horizontal but I don't have steep temperature changes in my home).

The EDs are usually unique, the pen body influences the behaviour, the nib is friction fit with a matching feed. Just more fun :) (with the odd burping to take into account...).

one of my 3C, this is standard ebonite olive ripple (with a Ruthenium coated B nib).

Temperatures may fluctuate from 60 F - 85 F in the office depending on how sunny it is and how cold it is outside. Not excessive but more than in most offices I think.

I have the pen horizontal in a pen tray. I haven't noticed any specific burping while writing though I tend to keep the pen barrel around 50% full.

Another nice looking pen.

you may want to try keeping the pen upright, nib up.

Ink can be pushed out of the nib particularly if there is sufficient air in the barrel that can expand due to temperature rise, pushing the ink out. If you keep the pen upright when you leave the office, the air stays at the top, and will be pushed out of the nib but will not push out ink with it...and you should no longer find the section dirty with ink.

Then when you are in the office you can put the pen horizontal again so it will be always ready to write.

Another way to limit ink being pushed out is keep the pen almost full, that way there will not be enough air to expand (liquids expand much less than gasses...)

In general I have a very good experience with model 3, I have not experienced any burping when writing even when the pen is almost empty.

It is possible to convert one of these to a C/C. You need a steady hand and a drill with a slow speed. Choose a bit the size of the tip of an international cartridge and drill the center of the section (make sure you check the depth so you don't go all the way through to the feed). The one I modified could only fit a short international cartridge or converter. It was a bit surprising, given the large size of the pen, but the barrel was just too short. Of course, don't try this if you are thinking of selling it and buying one that is already a C/C.

Dave

so you enlarged the hole at the back of the section and pushed the tip of a cartridge in?

usually cartridges and converters need to be attached over a nipple not pushed into a hole...

would it stay put?

one more option is ask Ranga to make an additional CC section for it, this may actually cost just a small sum

(you keep the barrel , you keep the cap, you can use an own converter, you just need an extra section threaded for Bock or Jowo, obviously you need to have a Bock or Jowo nib group, otherwise Ranga can sell it to you)

try asking Mr. Kandan, Mr5x5

Edited by sansenri

The nipple doesn't really hold it in place. It is mostly to puncture the cartridge when you insert it. Without the nipple, you need to puncture the cartridge before insertion.

The tightness of the fit depends on the size of the hole. Start small and gradually increase it until it works. Also, in the one I did (a model 8), I needed to also drill the section so the exterior of the cartridge fit, Again, just make it big enough so it fits snugly around the cartridge. This means it will also fit snugly around a converter.

Dave

so you enlarged the hole at the back of the section and pushed the tip of a cartridge in?

usually cartridges and converters need to be attached over a nipple not pushed into a hole...

would it stay put?

one more option is ask Ranga to make an additional CC section for it, this may actually cost just a small sum

(you keep the barrel , you keep the cap, you can use an own converter, you just need an extra section threaded for Bock or Jowo, obviously you need to have a Bock or Jowo nib group, otherwise Ranga can sell it to you)

try asking Mr. Kandan, Mr5x5

I asked Mr Kandan about this, for an eyedropper pen I purchased from a retailer here in Australia. His reply was that since all Ranga's pens are handmade (and therefore individually threaded), they can't manufacture a new grip section without having the pen barrel in hand. It's a shame, because I really like the *look* of my "Ranga Duofold" (very similar in design to a regular Model 3), but my pen usage (lots of pens inked up at a time!) doesn't really lend itself to using large-capacity eyedroppers.

you are right, I understand they would need the pen back to make a new section that matches perfectly

with shipment and all cost difference to buying a new C/C would be marginal

oh, well, it must be that I just cannot understand getting rid of a Ranga, I'm getting close to totaling 30...

you are right, I understand they would need the pen back to make a new section that matches perfectly

with shipment and all cost difference to buying a new C/C would be marginal

oh, well, it must be that I just cannot understand getting rid of a Ranga, I'm getting close to totaling 30...

Oh, I'm not getting rid of mine either (it was #2 in a collection that now numbers 9) - but it gets less use than any of the others, which are (almost) all cartridge converter versions with threading for JoWo or Bock nibs...

I have a Ranga 3 eyedropper with an Ambitious fine steel nib and it is probably the nicest writing pen I have.It is extremely smooth for a fine. I ordered a 3C with fine Jowo steel cc in same group buy and not got on with it. I have had two replacement nibs but poor ink flow and scratchiness.

• 1 month later...

I never managed to try the Ambitious nibs, but would like to. My experience with Kanwrite was not so good.

I usually ask Ranga to fit a Bock nib in, even when I ask for ED. I also have some Rangas with Jowo nibs but find them to be slightly stiffer and dryer.

• 4 weeks later...

I never managed to try the Ambitious nibs, but would like to. My experience with Kanwrite was not so good.

I usually ask Ranga to fit a Bock nib in, even when I ask for ED. I also have some Rangas with Jowo nibs but find them to be slightly stiffer and dryer.

I actually have exactly the opposite, best experince with KanWrite nibs, that were directly purchased from KanWrite. The ones I got on Ranga pens are horrible (but then I switch them out immediately with the good KanWrite nibs!).

Edited by choombak

could be just my nib, I have only tried one Kanwrite, the "flex" nib.

I cannot feel much flex, and the tip is too fine for my liking.

I also tried to swap it with several other nibs but none would fit properly, the Kanwrite is much thicker than any other nib I tried.

Perhaps I should source another Kanwrite...

My oldest Ranga pens have been in my collection for 5+ years. The larger ('Duofold') came with a horribly scratchy nib, which I swapped out for a JoWo. Since then, Ranga has 'exploded' onto the international scene and become well known. All my newer pens I've ordered with screw-in nib units (because I prefer to use cartridge converters and swap out inks more frequently), so I can't confirm this, but... it certainly *sounds* to me like they've upped their game in terms of QC for Kanwrite nibs that go into their eyedropper pens.

When they first started, the eyedroppers came with a Wality nib. Not great. Needed polishing, at least. I swapped those out for Ambitious or Jinhao nibs, or others of the same size. (there may be a Noodler's or FPR nib in one, for instance). But their later pens come with the Kanwrite nibs, and those are excellent, too. I've loved the Rangas from the first I got, and there's always at least one in rotation. And I only get the eyedropper version - love that technology.

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

Unfortunately the steep taper of the lovely long section did not work for me.

Add lightness and simplicate.