The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Safe Non-Black Document Inks You Like

document ink permanent ink safe non-black document ink

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 sombrueil

sombrueil

sad, but true

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 February 2020 - 14:30

I am very happy with the qualities of my De Atramentis Document Black, which I keep loaded for writing checks and addressing envelopes and the like. It only has one flaw, which is that it is black, the world's most boring color of ink (medium blue being right behind it). 

What are some permanent inks which are well-behaved, safe to keep in a pen for a month, and are interesting colors? 

Sponsored Content

#2 sombrueil

sombrueil

sad, but true

• Member - Gold

• 893 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 February 2020 - 14:33

I should add that the pen is a modern Pelikan piston filler with an ink window I would prefer unstained.

#3 txomsy

txomsy

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 February 2020 - 15:42

I have used many Noodler's, Rohrer & Klingner Salix and Scabiosa, Koh-i-Noor dokument ink, MB permanent blue and blue-black, ESSR blue-black and probably many more without issues.

When I had them, it was the ink drying and that was more the pen's fault than the ink (in that it would happen with any ink, and not in tightly capping pens).

#4 sombrueil

sombrueil

sad, but true

• Member - Gold

• 893 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 February 2020 - 18:50

So using up a pen-full of, say, R&K Scabiosa in a month wouldn't be a problem, despite all the disclaimers about staining ink windows etc?

#5 txomsy

txomsy

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 February 2020 - 20:59

I don't own any Pelikan, so I cannot guarantee that the plastic in the ink window will not react. It shouldn't, and it hasn't my piston fillers, but I have no experience with Pelikan pens.

#6 sciumbasci

sciumbasci

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,062 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 February 2020 - 21:35

salix-review.jpg

Scabix, a 1:1 mix of Salix and Scabiosa, doesn't look that bad to me.

#7 BDarchitect

BDarchitect

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 February 2020 - 22:11

How about any of the other De Atramentis Document inks such as Blue, Dark Blue, Fog Grey or Document Brown; Sailor Seiboku or Souboku, or Platinum Pigmented Sepia or Pigmented Blue.  Also I think the Graf von Faber-Castell inks like Midnight Blue, Hazelnut, Cobalt Blue, or Stone Grey, to name a few, are also supposed to be archival.

Edited by BDarchitect, 26 February 2020 - 22:22.

#8 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,637 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 February 2020 - 22:19

Inks I generally use for signing checks and addressing envelopes:

Noodler's Heart of Darkness (yeah, I know, black... but well behaved and dries faster than the regular Noodler's Black).

Noodler's Kung Te Cheng -- NOT a well behaved ink, but a great color and pretty much *everything proof*.

Noodler's 54th Massachusetts -- I like it, but YMMV (there's a thread currently about someone having it turn to gel in their pen).

Sailor Souboku -- Less teal than Seiboku (which I haven't tried), but as a pigmented ink it needs a little more maintenance.

Most iron gall inks (but again, a bit higher maintenance because you have to flush them out more often and you want to use a dilute vinegar solution instead of (or at least before) a dilute ammonia solution, flushing before and after (and in between if you then do the ammonia solution) with distilled water.  I have Salix in a pen at the moment, but I also like a lot of the KWZ iron gall inks, particularly IG Blue-Black, IG Blue #3, IG Gummiberry and IG Violet #3 (although your bank may frown on the last two as not being blue or black); and I like Akkerman Ijzer-Galnoten as well.

I've tried some of the De Atramentis Document inks, but I'm not keen on the behavior -- the ones I've used have had a tendency to spread.   

R&K also makes some "archival" inks -- their Documentus line.  Dunkelblau is a little chalky looking but I like Hellblau.  Haven't tried any of the others so I can't say what they're like.

Hope this helps.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#9 pararis

pararis

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 26 February 2020 - 22:55

DeAtramentis Doc. Red. It's a little on the light side for me, but I believe there is nothing better than a fine black ink.

#10 sombrueil

sombrueil

sad, but true

• Member - Gold

• 893 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 February 2020 - 01:35

I ordered some samples of colors that appeal to me -- R&K Scabiosa, DeAtramentis Document Brown, and a few others, and will experiment!

#11 Noihvo

Noihvo

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,662 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 February 2020 - 18:12

fpn_1582913548__img_5730.jpg

"We are one."

– G'Kar, The Declaration of Principles

–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

Are you looking for a custom bound book? Check out my Etsy page.

#12 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,304 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 February 2020 - 19:00

I totally loved the Rohrer and Klingner Super 5 inks especially the Dehli ink which is this wonderful waterproof orange/yellow.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Want to get a special letter / gift from me, then create a Ghostly Avatar  

Ink comparisons:  The Great PPS Comparison  366 Inks in 2016

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Dark Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: document ink, permanent ink, safe, non-black document ink

Sponsored Content

|