New M1005 Stresemann Is A Cheaply Made Pen

ujda765

Previously, M1000, M800, M805,..., etc. The barrels of these piston mechanisms are made of brass, the screw stems are made of plastic. Thus, when you turn the knob, it is plastic rotates inside a brass hole. Therefore, the resistance is very low.

While for the new M1005, all parts are made of cheap plastics. No more brass barrel inside. Now it is the plastic screw stem rotates inside a plastic hole. The immediate consequence is very high resistance.

I have used my M1005 for about 3 months. While filling the ink, I feel more and more difficult to rotate the knob. Sometimes I feel that something is going to break inside. So I opened and found this (see attached photo).

It is sad that Pelikan decided to go cheap. A brass barrel might cost them $20 more than plastic, but anyway, Pelikan wanted to save this small amount of money.

m1005.jpg

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dbs

• Glenn-SC

• sirgilbert357

• Intensity

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You probably need to lube the piston.

Pelikan 400, 140, 400NN, M400, M600 have all plastic mechanism and doesn't feel like it's starting to seize unless the piston is sticking.

My M101N pens with (I think) plastic parts feel as smooth or smoother for the piston action than my M800 with some brass parts. But all 3 pens are fantastic--much smoother than my Montegrappa Cosmopolitan or Omas Paragon piston mechanisms, and smoother than Montblanc 149 and 146 and Lamy 2000 piston mechanisms. I'd say my vintage Montblanc 252 piston mechanism is about on par with the Pelikans in the smoothness and ease of movement. All small sample statistics with the pens I've personally used, so this information might not be useful. Lubrication does play a major role in smooth piston motion.

Edited by Intensity

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

Pelikan claims these are blackened metal, so that the piston does not detract from the overall look of the pen.

Given the weight of mine (and the location of the center of mass), I'm very inclined to believe them.

If I recall correctly, people also run some tests with some of the M80x that have black/brown piston and confirmed Pelikan's claim

(not that I would agree that metal = quality nor plastic = cheap).

Also, all you needed to do was to remove the nib and put a tiny amount of silicone grease inside the barrel. There's absolutely no need to remove the piston.

Pelikan claims these are blackened metal, so that the piston does not detract from the overall look of the pen.

Given the weight of mine (and the location of the center of mass), I'm very inclined to believe them.

Hold the long breath ... I will show you radiograph of M1005 tomorrow.

As a matter of fact, the blackened brass discussed here before is Montblanc 146...

Yeah, sorry the OP took his pen all the way apart for this. Pelikan still use brass for the M100X's...

I agree this is a lubrication issue. Every Pelikan I've ever owned has gotten a tiny bit of silicone grease for the piston upon arrival and it has helped them all. They are super smooth and turn with very little resistance, whether they were an M200 variant or one of my M800's. It's the same story with my Lamy 2000's - if they got a little stubborn, a little silicone grease on the tip of a toothpick to lube the piston and it's fixed.

Maybe the moral of this thread is: Ask the FPN community before taking your pen apart.

So what is the final verdict?

I am very pleased to announce the piston barrel of M1005 Stresemann is made of Copper.

See scientific proof: I scan two pens with CT, left (anatomic coordinate, is on your right hand) is Montblanc Flex nib, right is Pelikan M1005 Stresemann. Below shows the Frontal image. I measured the HU (Hounsfield Number) of piston barrel. The average is 13597. According to Wiki page, Copper HU is 14000.

So it is brass, but now coated with plastic (instead of PVD) to increase air tighten.

fpn_1582756777__capture.jpg

I have to make minor correction. I now believe the purpose of plastic coating is to avoid damage from ink. I am sure now you can use newer m1005 with iron gall ink without worry.

I have to make minor correction. I now believe the purpose of plastic coating is to avoid damage from ink. I am sure now you can use newer m1005 with iron gall ink without worry.

This is very interesting. Couple of follow-up questions, in case you happen to know:

- Is the piston mechanism of M800 usually made of exposed, uncoated metal and thus not recommended for use with modern light Iron Gall inks? Pelikan's own 4001 blue-black contains some IG.

- What about the piston mechanisms of Montblanc 146 and 149, those made since about 1995 to present? Montblanc's blue black used to also be formulated with iron gall, so hopefully the pens made prior to that ink's discontinuation were made to tolerate that ink well.

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

Piston barrel of Montblanc pens I bought since 2010 are all coated with black PVD. The first one to trigger discussion here is 90 years 146.

I think my 146 is a 1995 model. My 149 was serviced by Montblanc, and I think most everything except for its 1980s nib was replaced, probably sometime around 2010-2015. So hopefully at least the 149 is coated. I do wonder about the 146.

Edited by Intensity

So where is the OP with the apology?

If you judge it by the naked eye, it is indeed a piece of plastic. Same thing happened 10 years ago when first black PVDed montblanc appeared. At that time, Montblanc issued a statement and then, of course, someone posted radiograph.

So what is the final verdict?

I am very pleased to announce the piston barrel of M1005 Stresemann is made of Copper.

See scientific proof: I scan two pens with CT, left (anatomic coordinate, is on your right hand) is Montblanc Flex nib, right is Pelikan M1005 Stresemann. Below shows the Frontal image. I measured the HU (Hounsfield Number) of piston barrel. The average is 13597. According to Wiki page, Copper HU is 14000.

So it is brass, but now coated with plastic (instead of PVD) to increase air tighten.

Nice! Thanks for confirming.

Interestingly, I have never seen a MB that is coated, and I opened almost all of mine to lubricate (all bought in the last 5 years).

Are the ones you mentioned just regular good old 146 & 149?

The previous test that I referred to, similar to the one you did, was done on the M800 Tortoiseshell.

So where is the OP with the apology?

It is a common and honest mistake.

I actually once asked a similar question about the M800 Tortoiseshell, since it was the first M800 I bought that had this feature.

That's when I learned about it and saw the tests they ran on that model :) .

Edited by Lam1

Apology................Don't hold your breath...............Op....no honest mistake....If Op believed it was plastic...

Phone..email the company....Not put it out without confirming from the source.....Pelikan....................

This is my personal opinion.....And do I really care........? YMMV

Fred..

Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss..........Douglas Adams

If the seals are working properly, the brass parts won't have any contact with ink, ever. I believe the plastic coating is only there for aesthetic purposes.

Modern iron-gall formulas (KWZ, Platinum Classic) are very mild and won't damage virtually any pen.

3776 + 4810.

I'm maintaining a comprehensive list of Iron-Gall inks. Contributions most welcome! bit.ly/irongall