The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Pilot Murex Disassembly

pilot murex repair

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 RayCornett

RayCornett

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 February 2020 - 19:36

Pilot Murex - I had done some minor repair on this pen for the original owner but have since then acquired it for my own collection.
For the repair I did , a full disassembly was not necessary. I pulled the cap off yesterday and the section came loose with it. This is what I saw. Is this normally adhered to the inside of the section like an inner cap in a pen cap? I don't seem to be finding pictures of such a part over the feed as of yet.

I also need to disassemble the feed and section which I assume will take heat. The notches on the black section piece and the notches(tabs?) on the metal aren't matching. I am thinking perhaps the section was torqued at some point in the past.

EDIT - After using some common sense I have the feed and all separated. I'll get the sleeve back into the section and go from there. 
BUT, what is the partial ring piece technically called? It was on the feed end of the threaded "coupler" the feed was screwed onto. It doesn't seem like part of the ring is missing so I am guessing this is the full piece.

I am amazed it didn't come off and disappear into the pen part triangle. The Saint of tiny pen parts must be on my side today.

Attached Images

• 2020-02-24 14.11.39.jpg
  • CameraZOOM-20200224035542342.jpg

Edited by RayCornett, 24 February 2020 - 22:19.

Sponsored Content

#2 CS388

CS388

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,174 posts

Posted 24 February 2020 - 23:21

The Pilot MYU701 has a similar piece. In that particular pen, it's a three-pronged clip, not a full circle  (it looks almost triangular, when out of the pen, but takes the circular shape of the section, once inserted). 

Its function is to snap the cap into place (when capped).

I've had it out a few times over the years, it is held in place by its own spring tension.

And, of course, the connector which screws in above it, to join the barrel and section.

I realise that it's a different pen, but the part may have a similar function?

Phone snap of the part in situ on the 701 (at the top of the section):

fpn_1582586091__myu_clip_-_1.jpg

Good luck

#3 RayCornett

RayCornett

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 February 2020 - 03:03

I got it :)

#4 RayCornett

RayCornett

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 February 2020 - 19:25

Now I am just trying to figure which sealant they may have used to secure the sleeve inside the section.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pilot, murex, repair

Sponsored Content

|