Diamine Inks That Make You Happy

vxv

I'm looking to buy about 5-10 30ml Diamines bottles quite soon (Monday, but can be throughout the week) and was wondering which inks you all like and would recommend, colorwise. Inks that make you happy, left you pleasantly surprised, or you felt lived up to their good rep.

I'm not particular about wetness, drying time, or feathering.

Colorwise, I love blues, purples, yellow greens, maroons, deep greens, deep oranges, nickel azo types, and muted grayish colors.

I tend to ignore oranges unless they shade, and my one yellow is enough for me.

In terms of Diamine ink, I've got the overseas exclusives, Poppy red (which is enough for me in terms of vibrant non red-violet reds.) Magestic Blue, Oxford Blue, Sargasso Sea, Chocolate Brown.

I'm already getting

- Bilberry

- Flamingo Pink

- Oxblood

- Tobacco Sunburst

- Ancient Copper (considering)

- Kung te Chung (considering)

If you've got something you'd absolutely recommend, please tell me ASAP!

New to fountain pens, older to dip pens.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• vxv

• A Smug Dill

• ParramattaPaul

• essayfaire

ASA blue. One of my favorite blues, if not *the*.

Well behaved, awesome shading and it somehow gets the blue tone just right.

Diamine Registrars: old school IG that is a shading monster. Performs well on crappy paper, dries almost instantly and is waterproof. Underrated, possibly because of all the FUD around iron galls. Watching the colour change as you work down the page is a lovely bonus!

Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

ASA blue. One of my favorite blues, if not *the*.

Well behaved, awesome shading and it somehow gets the blue tone just right.

I've seen Asa Blue when looking for something within the range, but I got Bleu Pervenche instead. I'm wondering if there's enough of a difference between them to warrant me getting a second color in that same range, but it being well-behaved is compelling. Thank you!

Diamine Registrars: old school IG that is a shading monster. Performs well on crappy paper, dries almost instantly and is waterproof. Underrated, possibly because of all the FUD around iron galls. Watching the colour change as you work down the page is a lovely bonus!

Ooh, I like this one! Very dark, as I've noticed the blues I have don't quite reach black (and Sei-Boku peaked my interest) Thank you!

Eclipse! Subtle, secretive, undefinable etc.

I was considering that one as well! I love Pouissere de Lune and it seems like a bluer version of it. My deciding factor is if the purple is at least partially visible. But if it's 'subtle', it seems like a nice color to get. Thanks!

I really love Aurora borealis.

I haven't really noticed that one for some reason, but it's very nice. More towards green than anything I own right now, which is a plus for me. I've got a feeling this one I'll like. Thank you!

Cherry Sunburst (which surprised me!) and Dark Forest, which is everything I expected from it.

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

Cherry Sunburst (which surprised me!) and Dark Forest, which is everything I expected from it.

Dark Forest is wonderful, I was thinking about getting RO's Spearmint and this is similar but nice and muted. Cherry Sunburst looks like its between Oxblood and Ancient Copper, but less saturated. Thank you!

So far, Bilberry and Ancient Copper are my favorites among my Diamines.

This pushes me to get Antique Copper, considering I got an ink similar and returned it right after and I still kind of miss it. Thank you!

Ooh, this is a toughie -- I have this race going between Noodler's and Diamine to see which I have more different colors of, between bottles and samples.

But ones I'm really partial to? In no particular order:

Diamine Classic Red -- this is the smack in the middle of the spectrum red red for me; doesn't lean pink, orange, Burgundy or blood red , fire engine red, red the color of my first car (1984 Dodge Omni "Graphic Red" red)

Diamine Turquoise -- closest match I've found for color, shading, and the line crispness that some people call "haloing"

Diamine Earl Grey -- nice medium dark warm grey

Diamine Anniversary Terracotta -- closest to an orange ink that I can personally stomach; it really *is* the color of a terra-cotta pot

Diamine Oxford Blue -- slightly teal leaning but still blue

Diamine Anniversary Tudor Blue -- a little lighter and more grey leaning than Oxford Blue

Diamine Emerald -- a nice medium green that leans a smidge on the yellow side but still absolutely green

Diamine Eclipse -- a very dark blue/blue-black (think black with blueish undertones)

Diamine Denim -- a tealish blue black that was one of the matches I found to match some vintage-ish blue black that came out of my first Esterbrook when I went to flush the pen out (the other being Noodler's Manhattan Blue; Manhattan Blue was closer as far as the color, but Denim got me the shading)

Diamine Tyrian Purple -- an interesting color; a warm brownish red-purple

Diamine Flower Collection Cornflower* -- a lovely bright cobalt blue

Diamine Flower Collection Aster* -- a very pretty medium blue that is still vibrant color (it has the vibrancy of inks like Iroshizuku Kon-peki without the turquoise undertones)

* Not sure if the Flower Collection inks are still available, or available as individual bottles at this point

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

edited for content

Edited by inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Diamine Jalur Gemilang is one of my favourite inks, in terms of how it looks on the page. I don't think you can get it in 30ml bottles, though.

- Kung te Chung (considering)

I don't think that's a Diamine ink colour.

Edited by A Smug Dill

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Well, no one has mentioned Salamander yet, so I will. Murky greens make me happy. :) If murky isn't your game, Classic Green is quite nice, and Misty Blue is really nice in fat and flexy nibs.

Royal Blue - smiles at me and makes me smile.

Lilac Night. Blue Velvet. Midnight. Denim. Oxford Blue.

Scribble Purple. Damson.

Oxblood. Red Dragon.

Grey.

Diamine Mediterranean Blue makes me very happy!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

I like Eclipse too, for the name. I bought it for the 2017 Great American Solar Eclipse. I do like the color as well. It is secretive as another member mentioned.

Soft Mint is one of my favorites. Pumpkin is a good orange. You are already planning on some good inks. Maybe Majestic Purple.

Ancient Copper is a good one, with nib creep possible. Or Terracotta from the Anniversary collection; or Cherry Sunburst from the guitar group. I like Safari from the Anniversary series.

Edited by Misfit
Posted Image