• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Greenie

• danielbird193

• SchaumburgSwan

• buddman

Yes, I haven't disappeared, but have had nothing exciting happening in terms of Mabie Todd - and not much else either!

Rgds

Cob

fpn_1428963683__6s.jpg “The pen of the British Empire” fpn_1423349537__swan_sign_is.jpg

I've just become a Swan Fan! Picked up an L 200/60 that is a twist-fill, flexi-wonder, shortly followed by an Eternal, which is neither (but a wonderful pen none the less). Now I'm hooked.

I've just become a Swan Fan! Picked up an L 200/60 that is a twist-fill, flexi-wonder, shortly followed by an Eternal, which is neither (but a wonderful pen none the less). Now I'm hooked.

Great to hear! Stick around. These are great pens but the boards have been very sleepy lately.

Here's a pic of my little collection. The jade 142/50 is a new addition. All are fully serviced and working condition. I'm expecting a postal deliver tomorrow with a new black SF2 with jade banding to the cap to fill that lonely space next to the 2 other black ones :-)

ifCD81a.jpg

Edited by buddman

What a beautiful collection! Total newbie here, I don't have any Swan pens. What's a good (and affordable) place to start?

Im not the right person to answer properly - I haven't been collecting long enough to have that perspective. Im just a bit of a persistent magpie. and I just know what I like the look of.... On the left of top row of my pic are Visofils - they have an interesting filling mechanism, and then most of the rest of the row are the so called Snakeskins - I just like the pattern. On the bottom row are some slightly older pens - I like the patterns, the length, and I think the clip style is really elegant.

But certainly people love Swan flex nibs, and I think the Number 3 is quite cherished. But you can pick up a nice black lever filler in the area of $50 or so, but probably with a No2 non flex nib at that price. I find looking at eBay finished auctions helps to calibrate prices a bit.

Of the pens in your picture, I like the look of the two on the bottom left most of all. I'm understated and prefer plain black pens rather than lots of different colours. That's not to say your other pens aren't beautiful - just the black ones speak to my personal taste.

I'm also guessing they are they are the oldest ones in the picture, but that's just a guess based on the styling.

A non-flex nib suits me fine, I mostly use my pens for note taking rather than fine calligraphy. A smooth wet nail suits me down to the ground.

I'll take a look on eBay, thanks for the tip.

Of the pens in your picture, I like the look of the two on the bottom left most of all. I'm understated and prefer plain black pens rather than lots of different colours. That's not to say your other pens aren't beautiful - just the black ones speak to my personal taste.

I'm also guessing they are they are the oldest ones in the picture, but that's just a guess based on the styling.

A non-flex nib suits me fine, I mostly use my pens for note taking rather than fine calligraphy. A smooth wet nail suits me down to the ground.

I'll take a look on eBay, thanks for the tip.

Hi,

I see, looks like a L212/60 or 0160 or 1060 would be fine for You.

Or a torpedo shaped 4260 or 4460? If the nip is an Eternal, it will be a stiff one in most cases.

Size of the pens is like a Pelikan M200 for the 212, 0160 and 4260 with their #2 nibs.

The 1060 and 4460 are a bit larger and have #4 nibs.

Best

Jens

.....................................................................................................

https://www.flickr.com/photos/136145166@N02/albums

Thanks, that's really helpful. The 1060 and 4460 are particularly appealing. I'm waiting until the London Pen Show but will add these to my list of models to hunt down.

Thanks, that's really helpful. The 1060 and 4460 are particularly appealing. I'm waiting until the London Pen Show but will add these to my list of models to hunt down.

Fine. So you even can try them and the nibs. :-)

Best wishes

Jens

.....................................................................................................

https://www.flickr.com/photos/136145166@N02/albums

• 3 weeks later...
http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m496/gclef1114/New%20Stuff/861F4117-07F3-40DF-BDB7-C8294CA09178.jpg