Vintage Pen Suggestions...

danielbird193

Hello FPN'ers. I'm still quite new to fountain pens and would like to purchase a vintage model. Can anyone help steer me in the direction of a model which would meet the following requirements?

1. Sturdy, reliable writer for everyday use in the office.

2. Larger size (similar to, say, a modern Lamy Safari or at least a Pelikan M600. The only vintage pen I currently own, a Sheaffer Balance, is too small to be comfortable for extended periods.

3. Smooth, wet nib (preferably gold, but not essential).

4. I'm in the UK so like the thought of a Britsh-made pen (Parker or Conway Stewart?), but again this is a preference rather than an absolute requirement.

Would love to hear from anyone more experienced than me with some ideas about what might suit my needs. Also with any recommendations about where to find a well priced model, given that eBay seems to be such a gamble these days.

Thanks in advance!

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• danielbird193

• usk15

• corgicoupe

• gweimer1

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would opt for Parker 51 or a Duofold Senior/Maxima form the 50's. Also consider a Vacumatic Oversize, but more expensive.

Other Parker models are smaller.

Check here: http://penamie.co.uk/html/parker/parker.html

Thank you for the suggestions. I'm not keen on the hooded nib of the 51 but the Duofold is definitely on the list. What filling system do those ones have?

Aurora 88 / 88K / 88P from the 50s are reliable, comfortable, piston fill pens with semi-hooded nibs.

Various Pelikans from the period are great buys, also piston fill of course.

To go British, a later period Onoto 62xx is usually reliable (plunge filler aka vacuum fill) and the 6235 a delight.

There are some more obscure Italian piston fillers with open nib, like Columbus, which do a great job, or some of the German Soenneckens or Geha. Those can be more difficult to find in good shape if choosing from ebay.

X

The full sized Esterbrook J have a nice feel. These are easy to restore with many nib types available. Many vintage pens require expensive parts and tools to restore and advanced skills to do properly. Spare parts are not readily available. The Esterbrook pens with lever fill can be compleltely cleaned and the internal parts replaced from vendors like Anderson Pens or from eBay sellers. The 2556 nib works for all types of writing needs around the office.

That said, I was given a Parker 21 that cleaned up and writes well. This inspired me to acquire a 1942 Parker 51, incoming.

"Respect science, respect nature, respect all people (s),"

I would also suggest the Parker 51, or a UK Parker Duofold. Conway Stewart has some nicely balanced larger pens - 60 Executive, 76, 77 models

Definitely don't sell the P-51 short. I personally geek out on art deco and art nouveau so I found the streamlined Parker 51 (and most things from the 50s) to be quite boring. But then I actually got my hands on one and wrote with it. It quickly became my favorite writing pen.

I'll also second the Esterbrooks. They're a good "entry level" pen as they're affordable, easy to repair (if I can do it so can you), and the multitude of screw-in interchangeable nibs are fun.

In the less heralded category, I've been enjoying the Parker VS and Parker Deluxe Challenger. They're both open-nibbed (as opposed to hooded) pens and the button fillers are very easy to fill and clean.

I agree with the recommendation of a UK Duofold.

My loveliest nib is on a Parker Victory, but I just measured that pen against a Lamy Safari, and it is quite a bit smaller.

Parker Duofold - or Parker Victory. I also have a Mabie Todd form the 30's which is good - but it is much more slender than the Parker I have, which is from the 40's.

Again, if you can make it to the London Pen Show, there will be plenty of them on display. You can then try the nibs, and examine the sacs and make sure you are getting a nice one.

A vintage pen in good condition is worth far more than one in poor condition - the time, patience (which I don't have) and cost of parts can exceed the price of a pen in good condition.

Parker Duofold - or Parker Victory. I also have a Mabie Todd form the 30's which is good - but it is much more slender than the Parker I have, which is from the 40's.

Again, if you can make it to the London Pen Show, there will be plenty of them on display. You can then try the nibs, and examine the sacs and make sure you are getting a nice one.

A vintage pen in good condition is worth far more than one in poor condition - the time, patience (which I don't have) and cost of parts can exceed the price of a pen in good condition.

Thank you again, I'm definitely going to try to make it to the London Pen Show (it just depends on work commitments). I would like to have a "shortlist" before I come along though, which is why it's so valuable to post here and get some recommendations.

Pelikan 140

they can still be found at reasonable pricing, gold nib (screw in), cellulose acetate barrel, piston filler,

very reliable and nice writers

perhaps does not fit your description of larger size although posted it's not such a small pen

fpn_1582146893__pelikan_140_fine_nib_14c

Edited by sansenri

Parker 51s, 21, or even the 45 would be great users. They are not big like a 149 but are robust enough for constant use at an office. The Pelikan 140 is another good suggestion as mentioned above or you could go with its cheaper sibling the 120.

I would also suggest the Parker 51, or a UK Parker Duofold. Conway Stewart has some nicely balanced larger pens - 60 Executive, 76, 77 models

I second the Conway Stewart recommendation. I have used several as daily writers, including a No. 58 "cracked ice" and a No. 77 "herringbone". Both were comfortable in terms of size and balance and had smooth wet nibs.

If you like your Balance look for an oversize.

Not exactly a hooded nib but you could consider the Sheaffer PFM.

Closer to home, I think there might be an oversize Swan or Mabie Todd that will work.

Enjoy the hunt,

gary

In addition to the Pelikan 140 suggestion, how about a 400/400N or 400NN? It's a bit longer than the 140.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

In addition to the Pelikan 140 suggestion, how about a 400/400N or 400NN? It's a bit longer than the 140.

Thank you, I actually really like the look of the brown tortoiseshell ones. Definitely added to the list!

Sheaffer Over Size Balance in a lever fill might make you happy! I love mine (all 6 of them).

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Sheaffer Over Size Balance in a lever fill might make you happy! I love mine (all 6 of them).

Another vote for Sheaffer. Very reliable workhorses. I'm also a big fan of the humble Sheaffer Flat Top in the larger size.

The Sheaffer Connaisseur usually has an 18k nib and is sized similar to the Parker Duofold Centennial or Pelikan 800. If you like the feel of the Parker 51 but not the hooded nib, then you should consider the Parker VS; it feels like a 51 but has an open nib.

Edited by corgicoupe

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost