Buy Nos (New Old Stock) Then Use It?

Tseg

Some of the 'facts' in the comments are askew. Indeed, not all, and perhaps only a smaller number, of vintage celluloid pens succumb to actual decomposition. Many of the best pens that do are well-known; for example, Wahl-Eversharp Dorics in certain materials, and the end points of Waterman "100 Year Pen" models, are common examples of this. Nonetheless, there are many, many pens from the vicinity of a century ago that are still in fine condition. One would hope that condition would be preserved.

Here's a concrete example: I really like Sheaffer OS Balances. Of the many pens made over the years, this size, shape and nib combination just completely is dialed-in to what I like to write with, comfortably and for long periods. As such, I've gradually sought out a number of them, some of which i've done the restoration on myself.

One pen in particular is a black-and-white pearl model which normally looks like tortoise shell or a bag of caramels, from the off-gassing of the latex sac. This one, for whatever reason, managed to last a long, long time with almost no discoloration. The person who sold it to me knew that rare condition and put a silicone, not latex, sac in it. Even with that, I've decided that this is one that can sit in the case on the desk, ready to admire or show to a pen friend. Have I ever put ink in it? Well, I've dipped it and used it for a couple of notes, but I have no reason to keep it in ink, as I have a number of others that suit that purpose. I can easily understand which of these otherwise nearly identical pens make good users, and which pens are example pens, for my particular enjoyment as great examples of a craft at it's peak.

This is a bit off-topic from NOS but the general area was alluded to, and when looking at NOS pieces, especially from more than a couple decades ago, these are some of the considerations that go into an assessment of the status and future of that "old stock" pen.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JonSzanto

• Tseg

• corniche

• A Smug Dill

Some of the 'facts' in the comments are askew. Indeed, not all, and perhaps only a smaller number, of vintage celluloid pens succumb to actual decomposition. Many of the best pens that do are well-known; for example, Wahl-Eversharp Dorics in certain materials, and the end points of Waterman "100 Year Pen" models, are common examples of this. Nonetheless, there are many, many pens from the vicinity of a century ago that are still in fine condition. One would hope that condition would be preserved.

Here's a concrete example: I really like Sheaffer OS Balances. Of the many pens made over the years, this size, shape and nib combination just completely is dialed-in to what I like to write with, comfortably and for long periods. As such, I've gradually sought out a number of them, some of which i've done the restoration on myself.

One pen in particular is a black-and-white pearl model which normally looks like tortoise shell or a bag of caramels, from the off-gassing of the latex sac. This one, for whatever reason, managed to last a long, long time with almost no discoloration. The person who sold it to me knew that rare condition and put a silicone, not latex, sac in it. Even with that, I've decided that this is one that can sit in the case on the desk, ready to admire or show to a pen friend. Have I ever put ink in it? Well, I've dipped it and used it for a couple of notes, but I have no reason to keep it in ink, as I have a number of others that suit that purpose. I can easily understand which of these otherwise nearly identical pens make good users, and which pens are example pens, for my particular enjoyment as great examples of a craft at it's peak.

This is a bit off-topic from NOS but the general area was alluded to, and when looking at NOS pieces, especially from more than a couple decades ago, these are some of the considerations that go into an assessment of the status and future of that "old stock" pen.

+1

Some of these pens are very hard to come by at the original colors and if we use the ones that still can be found, the next generation will never see them as they originally were.

Not the same pen, but same general color and problem:

fpn_1581997468__img_7692.jpg

Why would I use the hard to get 2nd from the right and risk it to become just like the 1st from the right?

Also, yes, "some" plastics degrade relatively quickly. But, most of those that collect pens in their original state are aware of the best practices in terms of storage to slow down the process as much as possible.

Not the same pen, but same general color and problem: Why would I use the hard to get 2nd from the right and risk it to become just like the 1st from the right?

Indeed, and my word! That Duo Jr is pristine! It's funny: here's a photo I posted for a younger collector to see how things can go south with some of the materials, and why finding - and preserving - the good ones has a lot of value. I included the Duofold to illustrate how the cap and barrel can differ, and then the bad/good versions of the Balance:

nAdnxdT.jpg

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

After seeing the above, now I think I need to buy a pristine NOS pen to use, and watch it (rapidly?) degrade — without deliberate abuse, but handle with due "respect", as just another a writing instrument designed to satisfy a functional requirement for Joe Consumer — as an example to illustrate to friends and acquaintances who ask my opinion why I think acquiring old/aged/vintage pens is a Bad Idea™ when there are new/modern alternatives that tick all the boxes, in much the same way I still keep some examples of "what not to get" pens.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

After seeing the above, now I think I need to buy a pristine NOS pen to use, and watch it (rapidly?) degrade — without deliberate abuse, but handle with due "respect", as just another a writing instrument designed to satisfy a functional requirement for Joe Consumer — as an example to illustrate to friends and acquaintances who ask my opinion why I think acquiring old/aged/vintage pens is a Bad Idea™ when there are new/modern alternatives that tick all the boxes, in much the same way I still keep some examples of "what not to get" pens.

You are so precious.

~ Benjamin Franklin

If I acquire a NOS pen, it is because the pen I bought turned out to be NOS, for sale via the interwebz. Not for 25 years have I bought a pen by walking into a store so that aspect, finding old pens in a store, is not relevant for me. As always, I buy to use.

X

Indeed, and my word! That Duo Jr is pristine! It's funny: here's a photo I posted for a younger collector to see how things can go south with some of the materials, and why finding - and preserving - the good ones has a lot of value. I included the Duofold to illustrate how the cap and barrel can differ, and then the bad/good versions of the Balance:

nAdnxdT.jpg

Is the barrel more discolored because of gases from a sac? It's the same material as the cap, right?

Is the barrel more discolored because of gases from a sac? It's the same material as the cap, right?

Hi TSherbs,

The ambering is caused by the acidic fumes off-gassing from the INK; which penetrate/dissolve through the sac and then attacks the celluloid.

Sean :)

https://www.catholicscomehome.org/

"Every one therefore that shall confess Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father Who is in Heaven." - MT. 10:32

"Any society that will give up liberty to gain security deserves neither and will lose both." - Ben Franklin

Thank you Our Lady of Prompt Succor & St. Jude.

My goodness!

That Balance is amazing!

I have a really soft spot for Sheaffer Balance pens. Such wonderful pens!

This whole discussion reminds me of a story from when I was a kid.

This guy owned an Omega and, during a fishing trip, due to a minor disagreement with other people he just grabbed the watch and threw it in the middle of the river, proudly claiming he had every right to do it.

He indeed had every right to do what he did - that was never in dispute. But, was that an intelligent decision?

He indeed had every right to do what he did - that was never in dispute. But, was that an intelligent decision?

If it either:

• gave him more gratification from that one act than what he would get cumulatively over time by keeping, using and/or displaying the object;

or:

• gave him some sort of satisfaction that he wouldn't otherwise be able to get, in spite of being able to afford to replace the object with an identical one, or buy any number of other similar objects if the need for a device or instrument arises,

then perhaps it was as well-considered a decision as any other use of discretionary spending and/or one's material possessions. There's no point in second-guessing what is the subjective loss to him as the one and only owner of the object in taking such an action.

We aren't talking about national or cultural treasures that are to governments to secure or protect, by way of public-purse acquisition or legal constraint, and keep from anyone's private ownership that imparts the right to dispose or destroy as the owner sees fit, are we? Just pens that Joe Random can legitimately buy and sell today, and twenty- to thirty-year-old models at that, not artefacts from two centuries or two millennia ago.

That said, I'm certainly not against "private" collectors from using private funding to keep NOS pens out of others' hands by bidding against them in the market, even if the ultimate intention is to donate to and/or display such never-used objects in a public museum. To me, it's all about one's capacity and prerogatives, which are the very bases of due respect from anyone else (including me, of course).

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Yes, that is my understanding. Many of these pens show up in this condition, with the barrel darker. The pencils from a matching set often show what the material looked like unchanged, but if the set was stored in a closed container the pen cap and pencil can go, as well. This is my understanding of the phenomenon, based on information from noted repair / restoration people.

~ Benjamin Franklin

If it either:

• gave him more gratification from that one act than what he would get cumulatively over time by keeping, using and/or displaying the object;

or:

• gave him some sort of satisfaction that he wouldn't otherwise be able to get, in spite of being able to afford to replace the object with an identical one, or buy any number of other similar objects if the need for a device or instrument arises,

Or, it was the petulant, impulsive act of a fool.

Not everyone is a rational actor all of the time. Some, not even most of the time.

Back on topic. If I were to come across NOS in a model that I was keen on, I would not hesistate to ink it up and write with it.

Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

Austrian pens from the mid-50's NOS.....of course I used them. Semi-flex gold nibs. Bock nibs if I recall.

iyftakH.jpg

rkQUdjI.jpg

I even used my new (nos-MB Virginia Wolf....made in 2006, bought some 6-7 years ago on sale for 1/3 off at my B&M)

German no name pens from the mid '50's...gold Semi-flex with 3 tailed Super Constellation also called The Clipper.

2JWYtx2.jpgni1P3um.jpg

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Hi TSherbs,

The ambering is caused by the acidic fumes off-gassing from the INK; which penetrate/dissolve through the sac and then attacks the celluloid.

Thx.

… and the verdict is in. My NOS pen has finally arrived... this ~30 year old pen is >$100 less than I could find the same version of a New New Stock pen. Lots to research and wonder about as I waited for this pen to travel across the pond. This long tined Aurora 88 from ~1990 not only wrote perfectly out of the box but is fair to say it may be my best writing pen. PERIOD. And my other inked pens are not schlocky, by any means.

I had a post a few months ago about getting a "pleasant surprise" when a pen arrives usually only happens with less expensive pens that outperform, because perfection is expected from more expensive pens. But with this Aurora I was worried about the toll 30 years could take on a pen, worried I would get hit with the infamous "Aurora Feedback". Let me tell you, this nib is juicy, smooth perfection. If I had to compare to any of my nibs, maybe most like my Pilot Custom 823, but this pen is just so much more elegant with a feel of high quality. The piston is buttery smooth. I did not want to force it, but I could not unscrew my nib, which was about my only disappointment.

In summary: USE YOUR NOS!! Pick your NOS and even pick your friends' NOS!

49580686383_2ed83340b1_k.jpg

49581416042_ee310e1fa8_k.jpg

Out of the box, the Aurora 88 outperforms all these nibs (for me - of course we are still in the honeymoon phase)...

• Pilot Custom 823 - Fine
  • Pelikan M1000 - Broad Pendleton Brown BLS
  • ST Dupont Olympio XL - Medium
  • Namiki Yukari Royale Vermillion Urushi #20 - Medium
  • Montblanc 149 - Medium
  • Diplomat Excellence A2 14K - Medium
  • Visconti Homo Sapiens Bronze Age - Fine
  • Sailor King of Pen Pro Gear - Broad
  • Lamy 2000 - Broad
Edited by Tseg

Beautiful pen, Tseg, congratulations. 👍 If it outperforms an 823 and an M1000, I gotta look for one of those. :o

https://www.catholicscomehome.org/

"Every one therefore that shall confess Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father Who is in Heaven." - MT. 10:32

"Any society that will give up liberty to gain security deserves neither and will lose both." - Ben Franklin

Thank you Our Lady of Prompt Succor & St. Jude.